The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spinoff on sore-no-more: Rubbing Alcohol

So sore-no-more has illegal substances in it. I've heard that rubbing alcohol was the original liniment. Is there anything illegal if I were to use that to rub legs down? What is the best way to use (straight, dilute, etc.)? Also, I have heard that you can wrap on top of legs rubbed down with alcohol and not have to worry about blistering legs, is this true.

Quote Originally Posted by seeuatx View Post
    So sore-no-more has illegal substances in it. I've heard that rubbing alcohol was the original liniment. Is there anything illegal if I were to use that to rub legs down? What is the best way to use (straight, dilute, etc.)? Also, I have heard that you can wrap on top of legs rubbed down with alcohol and not have to worry about blistering legs, is this true.

Every horse is different so I would test their sensitivity first....but when I was a show groom....we always wrapped with alcohol. I would put it straight in a spray bottle and spray their legs and put the wrap on....if I didn't have a spray bottle...just poured it in my hand and slapped it on. Granted...we only wrapped the GP horses or ones that had issues. I never had one react to it.
    ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    Every horse is different so I would test their sensitivity first....but when I was a show groom....we always wrapped with alcohol. I would put it straight in a spray bottle and spray their legs and put the wrap on....if I didn't have a spray bottle...just poured it in my hand and slapped it on. Granted...we only wrapped the GP horses or ones that had issues. I never had one react to it.
    we just use a spray bottle or our hands to put it on and rub lightly to work under the hair, then wrap. I do this every time after a xc school or competition, even if they weren't worked hard or the ground wasn't really hard.
    Winfield Farm
    Karrera "Zoee" ~ Redshift "Orion" ~ Inquisitive "Q" ~ Vintage "Ellie" ~ No Doubts "Lady"
    I Paid For My Vet's New Truck Clique

i was just looking at the examples of forbidden substances list and it had ethyl alcohol on it! go figure.. I wish they would publish a list (albeit a very SHORT list!) of substances that were legal!
    http://www.usef.org/documents/compet...Guidelines.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by mkmallory View Post
    i was just looking at the examples of forbidden substances list and it had ethyl alcohol on it! go figure.. I wish they would publish a list (albeit a very SHORT list!) of substances that were legal!
    Ethyl alcohol is booze, so it's not a surprise that its forbidden.

Rubbing alcohol - isopropyl alcohol - is legal and chemically distinct.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I should really remember those HS chem lessons
    Last edited by seeuatx; Jan. 29, 2009 at 02:08 PM. Reason: there are 2 kinds of alcohol... and I need to learn their real names

Quote Originally Posted by poltroon View Post
    Ethyl alcohol is booze, so it's not a surprise that its forbidden.

Rubbing alcohol - isopropyl alcohol - is legal and chemically distinct.
    damn, my bad! lol. i saw alcohol and though well crap. it didnt occur to me they would feel the need to ban drinking alcohol! ha ha

damn, my bad! lol. i saw alcohol and though well crap. it didnt occur to me they would feel the need to ban drinking alcohol! ha ha
    Haha, me too. As an aside, I know a dressage horse that will be very disappointed to hear this... Imagine a very very expensive warmblood that likes to go slumming with some Bud Lite

Haha, me too. As an aside, I know a dressage horse that will be very disappointed to hear this... Imagine a very very expensive warmblood that likes to go slumming with some Bud Lite
    ok not horse related but made me think of

http://www.beerformyhorsesthemovie.com/

I do question his taste though.....not a fan of Bud Lite!!...but a beer a day was supposed to be good for for a horse's coat and digestion!
    ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

I had one of those too, only mine was a Jumper. Had to dry him out before every show.

Seb
    Aca-Believe it!!

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    ok not horse related but made me think of

http://www.beerformyhorsesthemovie.com/

I do question his taste though.....not a fan of Bud Lite!!...but a beer a day was supposed to be good for for a horse's coat and digestion!
    I love that song... and can't wait to see the movie.

As for his taste in beer (), a rider at the barn is from the same area of Germany that this horse was bred in... she laughs and rolls her eyes, saying "you would think he would at least go for a good heffeweissen".

Jet tends to blister if I use regular liniments, so I only use Rubbing alchohol and wraps now. Never had any problems.

I like keeping it around, as it works great to get rid of sweat marks, and makes them dry off quicker if it's a a coller day, but not cold enough for wearing a fleece cooler (like after a light workout where just the saddle/girth area is sweaty.). Just pour a little on a rag and rub sweat marks.
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016

Not sure what the point would be of putting alcohol on the leg and then covering it up. The cooling properties are purely from evaporation, and it doesn't do much else. If I use it, it's sprayed on (or sponged on in rinse water) and left to air dry.
    Click here before you buy.

I don't use straight rubbing alcohol. I use witch hazel or a mixture of both. Witch Hazel is great under wraps.