The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct. 25, 2007
    Location
    Somewhere between Here and There
    Posts
    2,272

    Default Spinoff on sore-no-more: Rubbing Alcohol

    So sore-no-more has illegal substances in it. I've heard that rubbing alcohol was the original liniment. Is there anything illegal if I were to use that to rub legs down? What is the best way to use (straight, dilute, etc.)? Also, I have heard that you can wrap on top of legs rubbed down with alcohol and not have to worry about blistering legs, is this true.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan. 19, 2005
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    14,923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seeuatx View Post
    So sore-no-more has illegal substances in it. I've heard that rubbing alcohol was the original liniment. Is there anything illegal if I were to use that to rub legs down? What is the best way to use (straight, dilute, etc.)? Also, I have heard that you can wrap on top of legs rubbed down with alcohol and not have to worry about blistering legs, is this true.

    Every horse is different so I would test their sensitivity first....but when I was a show groom....we always wrapped with alcohol. I would put it straight in a spray bottle and spray their legs and put the wrap on....if I didn't have a spray bottle...just poured it in my hand and slapped it on. Granted...we only wrapped the GP horses or ones that had issues. I never had one react to it.
    ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **



  3. #3
    Join Date
    May. 26, 2007
    Location
    Owings Mills, MD and Mt. Airy, MD
    Posts
    1,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    Every horse is different so I would test their sensitivity first....but when I was a show groom....we always wrapped with alcohol. I would put it straight in a spray bottle and spray their legs and put the wrap on....if I didn't have a spray bottle...just poured it in my hand and slapped it on. Granted...we only wrapped the GP horses or ones that had issues. I never had one react to it.
    we just use a spray bottle or our hands to put it on and rub lightly to work under the hair, then wrap. I do this every time after a xc school or competition, even if they weren't worked hard or the ground wasn't really hard.
    Winfield Farm
    Karrera "Zoee" ~ Redshift "Orion" ~ Inquisitive "Q" ~ Vintage "Ellie" ~ No Doubts "Lady"
    I Paid For My Vet's New Truck Clique



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct. 20, 2008
    Posts
    76

    Default

    i was just looking at the examples of forbidden substances list and it had ethyl alcohol on it! go figure.. I wish they would publish a list (albeit a very SHORT list!) of substances that were legal!
    http://www.usef.org/documents/compet...Guidelines.pdf



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct. 2, 1999
    Location
    Mendocino County, CA: Turkey Vulture HQ
    Posts
    17,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mkmallory View Post
    i was just looking at the examples of forbidden substances list and it had ethyl alcohol on it! go figure.. I wish they would publish a list (albeit a very SHORT list!) of substances that were legal!
    http://www.usef.org/documents/compet...Guidelines.pdf
    Ethyl alcohol is booze, so it's not a surprise that its forbidden.

    Rubbing alcohol - isopropyl alcohol - is legal and chemically distinct.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct. 25, 2007
    Location
    Somewhere between Here and There
    Posts
    2,272

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mkmallory View Post
    i was just looking at the examples of forbidden substances list and it had ethyl alcohol on it! go figure.. I wish they would publish a list (albeit a very SHORT list!) of substances that were legal!
    http://www.usef.org/documents/compet...Guidelines.pdf
    I should really remember those HS chem lessons
    Last edited by seeuatx; Jan. 29, 2009 at 02:08 PM. Reason: there are 2 kinds of alcohol... and I need to learn their real names



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct. 20, 2008
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poltroon View Post
    Ethyl alcohol is booze, so it's not a surprise that its forbidden.

    Rubbing alcohol - isopropyl alcohol - is legal and chemically distinct.
    damn, my bad! lol. i saw alcohol and though well crap. it didnt occur to me they would feel the need to ban drinking alcohol! ha ha



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct. 25, 2007
    Location
    Somewhere between Here and There
    Posts
    2,272

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mkmallory View Post
    damn, my bad! lol. i saw alcohol and though well crap. it didnt occur to me they would feel the need to ban drinking alcohol! ha ha
    Haha, me too. As an aside, I know a dressage horse that will be very disappointed to hear this... Imagine a very very expensive warmblood that likes to go slumming with some Bud Lite



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan. 19, 2005
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    14,923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seeuatx View Post
    Haha, me too. As an aside, I know a dressage horse that will be very disappointed to hear this... Imagine a very very expensive warmblood that likes to go slumming with some Bud Lite
    ok not horse related but made me think of

    http://www.beerformyhorsesthemovie.com/


    I do question his taste though.....not a fan of Bud Lite!!...but a beer a day was supposed to be good for for a horse's coat and digestion!
    ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct. 16, 2000
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,539

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seeuatx View Post
    Haha, me too. As an aside, I know a dressage horse that will be very disappointed to hear this... Imagine a very very expensive warmblood that likes to go slumming with some Bud Lite
    I had one of those too, only mine was a Jumper. Had to dry him out before every show.

    Seb
    Aca-Believe it!!



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct. 25, 2007
    Location
    Somewhere between Here and There
    Posts
    2,272

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    ok not horse related but made me think of

    http://www.beerformyhorsesthemovie.com/


    I do question his taste though.....not a fan of Bud Lite!!...but a beer a day was supposed to be good for for a horse's coat and digestion!
    I love that song... and can't wait to see the movie.

    As for his taste in beer (), a rider at the barn is from the same area of Germany that this horse was bred in... she laughs and rolls her eyes, saying "you would think he would at least go for a good heffeweissen".



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec. 31, 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    17,566

    Default

    Jet tends to blister if I use regular liniments, so I only use Rubbing alchohol and wraps now. Never had any problems.

    I like keeping it around, as it works great to get rid of sweat marks, and makes them dry off quicker if it's a a coller day, but not cold enough for wearing a fleece cooler (like after a light workout where just the saddle/girth area is sweaty.). Just pour a little on a rag and rub sweat marks.
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan. 16, 2002
    Location
    West Coast of Michigan
    Posts
    36,325

    Default

    Not sure what the point would be of putting alcohol on the leg and then covering it up. The cooling properties are purely from evaporation, and it doesn't do much else. If I use it, it's sprayed on (or sponged on in rinse water) and left to air dry.
    Click here before you buy.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec. 10, 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,777

    Default

    I don't use straight rubbing alcohol. I use witch hazel or a mixture of both. Witch Hazel is great under wraps.



Similar Threads

  1. Boot stretch spray (aka rubbing alcohol?)
    By ExJumper in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: Apr. 23, 2012, 06:57 PM
  2. rubbing alcohol and also salt question
    By saitou_amaya in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Aug. 5, 2011, 08:00 AM
  3. Gross Moldy Tack- used rubbing alcohol!!
    By Candle in forum Off Course
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Jun. 16, 2010, 11:25 PM
  4. Liniment vs. Rubbing Alcohol vs. Poultice
    By KtDid in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Apr. 22, 2010, 01:45 PM
  5. 99% Rubbing Alcohol
    By tBHj in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Jan. 14, 2010, 08:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness