The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Recommendations for underground pet fencing

Anyone have a brand of underground electric fencing for dogs that they can recommend? Looking for something to contain our JRT who has discovered the thrills of car chasing . Must be easy to install and actually work. Thanks in advance!
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

we used to have it for our JRT's. While training, use a lunge line and make sure he can touch the edge of the fence, and not run thru it. Our male ran thru it the first few times AFTER 2 weeks of regular training, b/c the deer were almost tame and he wanted to chase them. after he ran thru it, we did the lunge line and waited for the deer, and he could only get shocked or come toward the house. So he DID learn. it was not a lot of training. i think the brand was petsafe? but i cannot remember. We have lived here for 4 yrs and this house has a chainlink fence. we installed the underground fence ourselves with a pick axe.
    Last edited by Nezzy; Feb. 5, 2009 at 01:29 PM.

We have a wireless radio fence. Can't get much easier than no installation other than plugging it in, checking it's boundaries, adjusting the distance for your property and putting the collar on the dog. Oh yeah, you do need to train him to it. It has different settings for distance and for strength. Because it is wireless it is also portable. I think we paid aroung $250 for ours. Just google wireless dog fence and it should come up. I think ours is a pet safe model. We love ours (and so does our dog since it means he gets off leash time.)

we've just installed our Petsafe wireless fence and I am not impressed. The original kit cost $225 and the extra collar for the second dog was $125.

Firstly, it only comes with 500 feet of wire, even though the kit we bought says"on the box 'Good for up to 2000 feet'. So we searched everywhere in town for more wire- we needed 1600 feet. The pet store where we bought the fence didn't have it and won't order it in. The local electrical suppliers wanted about $300 for a minimum 1000 foot spool. So we called Petsafe's 1-800 # and waited on line for 20 minutes for them to answer. Oh sure, they'll send us the wire. That was in September, and neither the wire nor my refund has ever arrived. We finally got some different wire that a radio expert assures me will work even though its not the same type. Another $110. We set it up, its not working. Machine says the perimeter is not connected. So we walk the entire 1500 foot perimeter and can't find a break in the wire, so we call the radio expert, and he says check the connection. Well, we'd used the marretts supplied in the box, and they apparently are not the correct ones, and the failure is due to moisture getting in the marrett or something. The electrical supply store sells me weatherproof marretts- they are $25 for the smallest box, which contains 25 of them, when I need 3. sigh. Get the perimeter up, functional. Test the collars- working ( *zap*- works on me fine) and commence training the dogs. Well, no, the collars are too small, even though we bought the largest size available. Spend another day tracking down two cheap nylon collars that do fit and attaching the shock units to them. ( $20) Commence training the dogsyesterday. So far they don't get it, and try to run away from me when the shock zaps them- which means they run OVER the fenceline and can't get back until I remove the collar... Le Large Sigh. I really hope this eventually works. It was July when we bought the unit and now its February, we're out nearly $600, and still tethering the poor dears.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Before I buy anything for my animals, I try it myself.
    My unruly and strong Golden was pulling me around by a leash, so I tried one of those metal prong colars. Wrapped it around my bare forearm and squeezed. Felt it, but it didn't hurt. Purchased & love it.

Try one of those electric shock collars on your arm. I did, and decided not to buy it.

threemares Guest

Default Invisible Fence

I have invisible fence and it works great for my JRT that races the cars across the front lawn. He does respect it but it took some training. I highly recommend the training that Invisible Fence does because they will adjust it accordingly. I have had it for almost two years and don't have any complaints and I have four dogs on it.

Default I have Petsafe

I have the underground wire. I have four JRT's, three Minpins and a chihuahua. They all respect the fence. I love it. I've had it for 2.5 years.
    M

A good fence does two things: it keeps something in and keeps everything else out.

Wireless fences keep something in (sometimes) but let everything else in always. As such they fail from the get-go.

Get a real fence appropriate for your use. You'll be glad you did.

G.

Default A groundhog, maybe?

I'm sorry, I read your thread title, and thought to myself, "Who has underground pets?"

It is a funny visual....
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

We've had the wireless fence for two years. Have the remote thingy plugged in at the corner of the house in the front bedroom. I put out the flags, took the dogs one by one on a leash with the set collar in my hand when we first got the set-up so they'd know the perimeters. We have a JRT and a Australian Cattle Dog mix and both respect it. The JRT will freeze if she goes a little too far and the collar starts to beep.
    The ACD mix doesn't wear the collar anymore because all he wants to do is be in with us. Can't convince him to leave the property . The dog(s) learn their boundaries and even if they don't have the collars on they will stop at the "edge". We do get critters in the yard at night but we've never had the JRT leave the property with the collar on. We are not near a busy road so don't know if she would blast through the perimeters after a car.
    Having the wireless sure beats burying wire. I think we paid $350 a couple years ago and at least $100 for the second collar. Expensive but worth it.

Get a real fence appropriate for your use.
    uh yeah, sure.
    dog proof fence for 3 1/2 acres that has already been really fenced for horses.

I am still hoping the wireless will eventually work. Or it means back to kenneling and I am sure the dogs would prefer to be able to roam a little more freely.

Tiki- the shock I got from putting the collar in my bare wet hand, was no worse than the electric fence for my horses.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Quote Originally Posted by threemares View Post
    I have invisible fence and it works great for my JRT that races the cars across the front lawn. He does respect it but it took some training. I highly recommend the training that Invisible Fence does because they will adjust it accordingly. I have had it for almost two years and don't have any complaints and I have four dogs on it.
    I have used this product for about 10 plus years now. Works great !!

I have about 4 acres of my 20 plus acres fenced with Invisible Fence. Would be impossible to keep my 2 Aussies away from areas that they don't belong without it (other than putting them in a kennel). They love running around, they have never gone through the fences, and they cannot chase or get injured by one of the horses.

Love it

Invisible Fence!! We had it for maybe 18 or more years and it works great!
    \"I can\'t drive....55!!!!\" Sammy Hagar

Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post
    I'm sorry, I read your thread title, and thought to myself, "Who has underground pets?"
    Thanks Lori, I spewed on my keyboard with your post! I guess the moles that joyfully tunnel under my lawn don't count as "pets" or I would raise my hand to your question.

Thanks for all of the replies. I have some good info, tips and ideas to go on!
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

My neighbor has the Invisible Fence. Her Heeler dog has figured out that the shock only lasts a couple of seconds and he seems willing to put up with that discomfort to get where he's going. Interestingly enough, he won't cross over it to get back on the property! I can't figure out if he's really really stupid or smart as hell.

I had the Dog Guard brand installed. It works quite nicely. No, it does not keep out the neighbor's 2 dogs, who take a dump on my farm daily, and then continue their way onto a large portion of the county and they have Invisible Fence collars on. The neighbor doesn't seem to care that the dogs leave. It bothers all the other people though.

I spent $1900 to have about 12 acres fenced. It works very well for 2 of the dogs, even if they are not wearing the collars, the third, I take his off so he can go visit the neighbor's corgis (they have dog guard too) and so if his batteries are dead, he'll just go on over. The other two will not leave unless in a car.