The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mare has excessive diarrhea help

Background:
    I took this mare in 3 years ago for a companion for my horse. She was the perfect easy keeper and still is excpet this winter she started with the diarrhea. Nothing in her routine or diet has changed. She gets a handful of grain twice a day and 3-4 flakes of hay twice a day 12-13 hours of turnout.
    Now once a week I"m washing her butt so she does not get sore and when it tured really cold I had to cut her tail because there was so much manure stuck to it, well it was really gross.
    Any suggestions?
    She gets wormed every 7-8 weeks
    she is 17 yrs old, blind in one eye, very sound and happy eats really well

What does the vet say?

Could she be eating something she should not, like buttercups for example? Does she have soft poop or essentially only extra liquid with normally formed poop?

Did not ask my vet yet.

Well here is the strange part, the manure in her stall is normal, but when she goes you hear tons of gas coming out as she goes and her butt is messy but the manure seems fine?

She is not eating anything strange since there is snow on top of frozen ground? Her hay looks fine and non of the other horses seem to have this problem.

My gedling has had this issue for the last 3 winters now - lots of fluid, but poop is formed normally. Nothing else changed. Neither worming nor probiotics helped much. It has now stopped, but I am wondering if he's getting into something in late fall early winter that he should not be eating. He's out 24/7. There's really nothin poisonous around per say, except some buttercups, but he gest enough food and there's grass too, so there's no reason for him eating them.

Borntoride, so do you just let it take its course until spring? I know she is getting plenty to drink so I'm not concerned about that.

Not quite, I tried to support it by giving him bentonite clay to pull out anything in his gut that should not be there. You could also consider using charcoal or Platinum biosponge. Run it by your horse's vet to see what he/she has to say. Perhaps he/she have someting more to add.

With the grass getting used up in the pasture and not growing perhaps he is eating weeds he would normally not eat in the summer. My mare is prone to the runs and what helps is beet pulp.

I would also recommend Platinum Performance Biosponge. I haven't used it myself, but I've heard it works really well. A probiotic that I have used in cases of occasional diarrea is ABC's ProBi- it's a liquid. I've used it for a horse with that type of gas/diarrea and it also helps.
    Also, if the horse has never been PowerPaked that might be something to look into. I keep hearing that encysted strongyles can also cause diarrea.

if this is new, after 3 years of owning her, i'd put a call into the vet to at least see what they say.

What kind of hay are you feeding?
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

I hate to keep repeating myself, but I have had this problem in several horses over the years. We changed grain, we changed hay, we powerpac'd, we fed Biosponge, we fed Probios, etc., etc. Finally we put the horse on Metronidizole, and VOILA! perfect, clean poop. AND it stays that way.

The stuff is an antibiotic and clears up some type of buy in their intestines that is irritating the lining, hence the formed poops, but the watery mess. It is cheap, and you only need to have them on it for 10 days to 2 weeks.

Please ask your vet about it. It is also a human drug called Flagil (sp?)
    \"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.\"--Pogo

Also always in the fall/winter time? Did you ever determine what caused it?

I have a client who has a horse with the same problem/ I advised her to move the horse to a different pasture and he's already improving after only one week, so it appears to me it is perhaps something they are eating.............

[QUOTE=BornToRide;3845477]Also always in the fall/winter time? QUOTE]

My old gelding (who was a gassy fellow his whole life) developped this problem when he got to be around 20 as I would transition him from summer pasture grass to winter hay. The other horses would be fine, it was just this particular horse who had problems.

After trying various medications and worming changes, it was determined that he simply needed a more easily digested fiber -- one that would move more slowly through his digestive system. Originally, beet pulp worked, then as he got older, I switched him to Equine Senior. Last year, when he was 31, he was unable to deal with my first cutting hay, and I had to give him second cutting hay.

My old gelding (who was a gassy fellow his whole life) developped this problem when he got to be around 20 as I would transition him from summer pasture grass to winter hay. The other horses would be fine, it was just this particular horse who had problems
    What kind of hay? Always the same hay or did it vary by grass type?

Has she lost a lot of weight? If so, it could be a mal absorption issue.

Quote Originally Posted by BornToRide View Post
    What kind of hay? Always the same hay or did it vary by grass type?
    A first cutting grass mix -- always the same hay, purchased from the same farmer, from the same fields, over a period of many years. It was the horse whose digestive abilities were changing as he aged, not the hay.

Default loosie goosie

My mare had this problem and finally passed an entrolith.

I give her probiotics power every day.
    also, when she gets out in the snow and MUST try to chew something like dead weeds--she gets a little gassy and loose.

Try chopped hay, easier to digest????

Sand / dirt sometimes can cause diarrhea which can lead to a "sand colic". We get this in Florida. Maybe that is why you are seeing it in the winter when the grass is not so good.

Try a sand test to see if the manure has sand in it. Take some fresh manure from the horse and put it into a rubber glove or ziplock bag and fill it with water, shake, and see if sand forms in the corner of bag or fingers of gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    Background:
    I took this mare in 3 years ago for a companion for my horse. She was the perfect easy keeper and still is excpet this winter she started with the diarrhea.
    she is 17 yrs old, blind in one eye, very sound and happy eats really well
    ditto here... I have to go to beet pulp based feeds thru the winter...and I
    hate those feeds...

best
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.