The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Catch 22

Does anyone remember this horse, it was a chestnut - from New Holland, did the Amateur Owner hunters. It was a long time ago, well in the 90s I would say. Anyway, on another board about TBs someone is saying the horse never got ribbons in any rated divisions at big shows. IIRC it was horse of the year one year and was champion at some big shows. Anyone else remember????

Default ??

Are you talking about catch 22 Ainsley Vinces Grand Prix show jumper? OMg.. Whom ever said that horse hasn't done anything knows nothing! I've personally worked for Ainsley and with Catch... The horse just got a great retirement celebration, the same as BIG BEN at the Royal Winter Fair this year. I mean he isn;t as great as Ben, but he's an amazing horse and Ainsley has won alot with him

Default Quote

From client profile to sum up Catch

" Ainsley's top mount for the past decade has been Catch 22, a gelding purchased in 1996 from American competitor McLain Ward. In 1999, they topped the 1999 Pan American Games Selection Trials and traveled to Winnipeg as the Canadian Team alternate. Ainsley made her international debut riding for Canada at the 1999 Washington International Horse Show and received a homecoming at Toronto's Royal Horse Show by helping Canada to win its second consecutive Bank of Montreal Nations’ Cup.

In 2000, Ainsley and Catch 22 made their first of three World Cup Final appearances competing at the Budweiser World Cup Final in Las Vegas before representing Canada at the 2003 and 2004 World Cup Finals. Remarkably, Ainsley and Catch 22 are also two-time Canadian Show Jumping Champions, having claimed back-to-back victories in 2001 and 2002."

http://www.startinggate.ca/img/news/...22_CN_web2.jpg
    Last edited by norolimasfaloth; Jan. 29, 2009 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Pic

I think the OP is talking about Catch-22, the hunter owned by Leigh Berman in PA in the 90's. He was a rescue that she brought along by herself. I saw him go a few times...very cute...but I don't know his record.

I remember reading an article in PH about the Catch 22 being refered to here.
    He was bought at New Holland and was turnied into a hunter. I don't know how he did competitivly, but I doubt he is the same horse as the GP jumper.

Christa

Man, I loved Catch 22. I like the really forward, fiery, strong horses & he sure looked like he'd take her too those big fences!!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Hum.. That would make alot more sence.... haha

Ainsleys horses are always super strong.. She is such a good rider! Alot of men had tried to show the horses she rode and coulden't handel them! Haha (Sometimes even Eric lol)
    Last edited by norolimasfaloth; Jan. 29, 2009 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Bah

I think the OP was talking about Leigh Berman's "Catch 22," who came from New Holland. He is a chestnut. Leigh still has him, I believe. He showed at Devon/Harrisburgh/Indoors in the greens and A/Os to success. In order to make it to Devon, you have to be getting ribbons at rated shows to get sufficient points?! The Canadian jumper "Catch 22" is not the same horse.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I think the OP is talking about Catch-22, who was known as "Cappy"... I remember this horse being on the cover of PH forever ago (I want to say early 90s), but I don't remember anything else, other than he was purchased because he had a nice eye.

ETA - Apparently, as I was typing, everyone else posted the same thing I was going to say!
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

I loved the hunter Catch 22. He was beautiful. I always thought it was great that the trainer worked with his clients to take horses from New Holland's kill pen to the hunter ring. I remember that PH article about the trainer and Catch 22 and Leigh.

Quote Originally Posted by seeuatx View Post
    I loved the hunter Catch 22. He was beautiful. I always thought it was great that the trainer worked with his clients to take horses from New Holland's kill pen to the hunter ring. I remember that PH article about the trainer and Catch 22 and Leigh.
    Do you remember the name/barn of the trainer? That's a trainer after my own heart.
    "The slogan will take you like lemmings to the cliff. You'll feel better than ever, and into the abyss... There'll be no more war, there'll be no more choice." PiL

At that time, Leigh was with John Muldoon. Jack Trainor also worked with the horse.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Cappy was 1 in a million. He was a very very cool horse and Leigh and John did a great job with him. I hope he's doing well!
    Can you stress-fracture your brain?

I am talking about the chestnut hunter Catch 22 that Leigh did in the A/O hunters in the 90s. When I looked up the name at the USEF site it was the jumper Catch 22. I thought "Cappy" was horse of the year one year but I may be confusing him with LaCara, more recent with a similar *I don't think kill pen but tough, no one could ride TB*. I may be thinking the PH article was a horse of the year article. Anyway, thanks, I thought she was champion at Devon on time but was being told that was not the case. Figure the COTHers would know.... It's always cool to hear of these diamond in the ruff stories. Thanks for all the replys and any more info would be great.

Does anyone have a pic of the horse?

Here is a link to one of the press articles:
    http://www.equineprotectionnetwork.com/press/cappie.htm

Default Cappy/Catch-22

I don't have any pics, but I do know that Cappy is doing well, living out retirement at Leigh's farm in Pottstown. He was a great horse in his day - personality and then some.

ahh Eric, I would have killed to train with him just because of his looks

I remember seeing the horse show with Leigh for some time before he was on the PH cover. She did a very nice job with him, and he was a cute horse. Glad to hear she still has him.

I seem to recall he got some ribbons at Devon in the Amateurs, but I don't remember him being champion there in that division.

I don't think he was champion at "the" devon. Maybe the Horse & Pony Show at Devon that used to be held on the same showgrounds in June.

I do think he won the Working Fox Hunter class there with John when he did the locals one year.

He was a great find from New Holland.

There were quite a few others over the years from there and other "saves" that have gone and done well.

Oklahoma Land Rush and Tiny's Time are two that come to mind. I know there was a fancy small pony found as well, but for the life of me I can't remember it's name.