The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Horse Show Prep Course

I have been asked to teach / remind the kids at the barn a course on horse show prep. Some of the kids have shown before, some have not

So far I was thinking of going over

-tack cleaning
    -proper turnout for the rider and the horse
    -braiding
    -wrapping

Is there anything else I should consider putting in there? I have another girl coming in for the braiding and we will switch off I will do the tack cleaning/turnout and she will do the braiding. I don't want it to be too long so they lose focus and we will bring in all the schoolies so they can dewhisker and help with bridle paths to keep them active.

My pet peeve- scheduling. Make sure the kids know it is their job to know which ring they ride in, which division goes before theirs, who the people are to ask questions like what time will my division start, how late are we running, etc. Also make sure they know how early to get dressed, tack (if they do it themselves), and how early to bring the pony to the warm-up. Make sure they know about taking martingales off to flat.

I would also cover correct turnout since some are new, and how to polish boots.

HAIR HAIR HAIR!!! Believe it or not, this is HUGE! My girls all act like they've never seen a brush on show morning! Turnout doesn't just include your horse girls.

A have a pet peeve against braids. Cute on an 8 year old on her first pony. NOT cute on a teenager. I prefer a tight bun at the base of the neck and like most military branches, NO HAIR TOUCHING YOUR COLLAR. I'd even do a dry run if you have to. I also am down for makeup if they are over 13. Not hooker makeup, but just some nice light makeup and some lip gloss. Presentation is everything.

Also, painting the hooves. Makes a small difference but it just adds that finishing touch to a show turnout. And no, not with Twinkle Toes..... LOL!

make sure have saddle pads that FIT the saddle!!!
    too big and too small are distracting!

Thanks for the ideas.

Hair and the use of hairnets is definetly on the list now as is scheduling, I think I am going to throw in know what classes you are signed up for, it does no one any good if your mom knows but she is no where to be found.

I know you mentioned being tight for time - but it would be really great to include "post class" responsibilities too. It's too often that I see/hear about kids who are all keyed up for their classes and showing and do their best to get their horses ready - only to forget about them after they're finished for the day. In my opinion, after a rider is done, they are allowed to get a drink of water and a very quick snack (like something they can carry along) and change into muck clothes, and then it's horse, horse, horse - unbraided (every day!!) hosed/wrapped if that's part of that horse's needs, fed, watered, stall nice and cosy, groomed, hooves picked out, etc. When that is attended to, then the rider can have a good dinner, coffee/tea, sit-down and chat, etc.
    Last edited by kashmere; Jan. 29, 2009 at 11:14 AM. Reason: typos!

Packing! They need to know what they need in their trunks - from the obvious like brushes and shampoo, to the not so obvious like folding chairs, chapstick and extra socks. Also, knowing what they need for their horse (buckets, hay bags, etc.) if they are responsible for such.

Teamwork! If another rider from your barn needs a horse held while she ties her number, jump in and help.

If they have not shown or have been pretty much been directed by trainer and parents at previous shows?

The wonderful world of your horse show number. You have to get one to enter the ring. You have to know how to put it on (right side up and secured thru the jacket buttonhole). You ABSOLUTELY are responsible to know what you entered in-not Mom, not trainer, YOU.

Then, of course, YOU are the one responsible for keeping track of the ring and knowing when your class goes.

On the soapbox a little here but, for crying out loud, is it too much to ask a 12 year old if they are doing a warm up round or their Long Stirrup? If they can jump a 2' course, they ought to know what the heck they are doing. Ought to have their number on too and not call for Mom or look at the trainer when the gate person points out they do not have a number on.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Oh yeah, my favorite saying is "You're HOW old?" Because I hear so many times "My mom.....*finish sentence with ridiculous excuse here*". You're old enough to ride, your old enough to be responsible for yourself. Whether it be wearing a jacket to your lesson when it's 30 degrees outside (seriously kids? You can't tell its cold out?) to not having their hair done (you own a brush right?), to whatever lame excuse.

I have banned moms from helping!!! Dont' help Sally. I don't care if we're here until midnight, Sally is going to learn to figure this out!

And don't get me started on crying..... THERE IS NO CRYING IN HORSE SHOWS!

Have them memorize AND INTERNALIZE the Chinese proverb:

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
    the courage to change the things I can;
    and the wisdom to know the difference."

If they don't "get" this, horse showing is NOT the venue for them!

C
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Maybe just touch on Sportsmanship. Give them a talk about winning and losing and how to behave. Its about the horses, right? Not the ribbons!

3 words.

HORSE SHOW AGE.

So "how old are you" does have 2 answers. Don't wait for the show end up in the wrong division.

Quote Originally Posted by luvs2ridewbs View Post
    Maybe just touch on Sportsmanship. Give them a talk about winning and losing and how to behave. Its about the horses, right? Not the ribbons!
    And the fact that everyone else in the class works just as hard as they do - and not everyone wins every time.
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Teach them the Golden Method to polish their boots!! (By Golden Method I mean whatever you find works best )

Perhaps teach them how to load a horse, to make sure the horse is comfortable on the trailer, etc.

Have all of them compile their own horse show checklist and then share together to make sure that nobody missed anything. It'll be a way to bring alot of things together on their own.

I like the idea of touching on sportsmanship and on teamwork

And I think I will make them show checklists to take home as well, one for away shows and one for at home shows.

Thanks for the ideas guys, keep them coming. Their trainer wants them to be as prepared as possible to make her life easier I think with a lot of them no one has ever sat them down and said (this is your responsibility)

Things like watching out for their barnmates build teamwork and sportsmanship. Did Susie forget her number? Does Sara know she is 6 trips out? Does Marti need a horse holder for a pit stop? Katie's on deck, can she borrow your gloves for 5 minutes? Can you help Nan do a quick hair redo?

Get them to help each other and stress watching other rounds in the barn to cheer them on and you will find this builds a good base to get along with anybody in any barn and be a good sport.

Quote Originally Posted by luvs2ridewbs View Post
    And warm up Ring Etiquette.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

Oh yes, I try to make them watch other rounds and "judge" themselves. What does this person do? Do they do that? How do they corner? What makes this round better than the last. It's a learning experience.

And isn't it sad that you have to teach them to pitch in? I had one girl who never did ANYTHING!!! The other girls would feel badly and tend to her horse because she whined non-stop.

I finally took her home one day in the rig. It was a 10 minute ride. She was crying after 3 minutes. Sobbed out by the time we reached the barn. After her "talking to" she was good every show thereafter.

They also need to know how to talk to their parents. I have more than once taken them to the trailer for a little discussion on what is acceptable.

A big on is schooling ring etiquette such as don't stand in the middle of the ring in front of the jumps, walk to the inside and my biggest pet peeve- passing! Left hand to left hand is very important to know!