The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Which boots do you prefer?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • E. Vogel?

5 10.87%
  • Der Dau?

5 10.87%
  • Dehner?

34 73.91%
  • Other? Please let me know below!

2 4.35%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Dehner boots!?!?

Hey guys! I've got really large calves and I've decided the only option for me probably will be to go with some custom made boots... all the Wide calf boots are still too small for my huge calves! I've looked around and I want a company with good customer service and willing to make repairs and alterations later on if I need them. I've came down to Vogel and Dehner. My local tack store is a Dehner dealer and I think it would be best to let them measure me and order them, what do you think? Any opinions on Dehner boots? Good results, bad results? Any advice is much appreciated! Thank you!

Katie

I have a pair of Dehners over 20 years old and still going strong. Your key to happiness is good measurements by your local contact- and consider whether you want to allow space for heavier socks and let the measurer know.

Just got new Der's, they are gorgeous! I haven't worn them to ride in yet due to weather but I have worn them around the house to break them in a bit and man are they nice!! I also have large calves-16.5" and am very tall (my boots are about 24" up the back) and am very anal about boots being tall enough Love my Der's!

Love, love, LOVE my Dehners. This is my third pair in 35 years-and that's with solid show usage. Pretty good! They have always fit perfect and kept their shine. I take good care of them- keep them clean, with boot trees in a boot bag when not used. As someone else said- the real key is in having someone who REALLY knows what they are doing take your measurements.
    see my ribbon quilts at: www.ribbonquilts.com

I have a pair of Vogel field boots I have had since my late teens and I loff them. Truly perfect custom fit. I got a pair of Dehner dress boots made this year and I am not as thrilled with them. They are very attractive, but have been way less comfortable to break in and I don't think Dehner got the fit as perfect as Vogel. That could be due to the measurer, though. For my money, I'd go for Vogel next time.
    Second Fiddle Farm

How bad are the dehners to break in? How long did it take? Any advice for how to break them in better?

I had my Dehner's made for me 20 years ago...and I still remember the bruises as I broke them in. However, I do bruise very easily so don't be scared! It took a few days wearing them around for hours at a time, and then they were perfect. I love them; I don't ride English very often anymore, but I would never part with them, if only because they're so beautiful and still fit like a glove.

The one thing I don't get about ordering, is how do you know the final price since some options are additional but it doesn't say how much? How do you know the price?

I had my first pair of Dehner's for years and it took a lot of convincing to get me to finally get a new pair..they held up amazingly well and my news broke in so easily. Plus, the leather is really nice and they also look really nice on as well. I'd definitely recommend them.
    Michigan State University College of Veterinary Medicine - Class of 2014

Chance Encounter
    RIP Tall Tales

Quote Originally Posted by SimplyRed View Post
    How bad are the dehners to break in? How long did it take? Any advice for how to break them in better?
    Well, it's been a while since I had to break mine in...but as they were well measured, I don't recall any issues. I probably wore them around the house for a couple of hours to ensure no issues, and then went hunting in them. I have found over the years than any fit issues with leather shoes or boots can be helped by drenching the offending area with plain old rubbing alcohol, and wearing until dry. Any serious issues need a return to manufacturer or trip to a competent boot person for stretching. Another tip for easy on/ easy off on riding boots since I have not yet succumbed to zippers, is liberal application of baby powder on inside of boots before putting on, they do go on (and off, hours later) much more easily.

Quote Originally Posted by JustABay View Post
    and am very tall (my boots are about 24" up the back
    My goodness, I can't even imagine such a thing! My legs are 15.5" up the back, and my tall boots are 17.5" (and really should have been an inch shorter).

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

thumbs down on the dehners. I have large calves also and a very small heel/ankle . that is why I went for the custom dehners a few years back. they were measured by someone from dehner at a special event at horse country....great place. the calf fit great but the heel/ankle was huge. horse country sent them back for adjustment and they came back better but not a custom fit. I think others are right it depends a lot on the who fits/measures them because my semi custom cavallos are perfect. good luck in your boot search.

I got custom Dehner's last year and love them. the fit is great. I got measured at Dover by a very experienced person, I expect that helps.

re pricing, when you get measured, they will go over all the options and tally up the final price depending on what you choose.

They were not bad to break in, you just have to ride in them an suffer for a few times,
    Last edited by Ray; Jan. 29, 2009 at 06:33 AM. Reason: typo

I've only had Dehner's. Great quality, great fit. But you need to be measured properly to get a good end product!

I also want to add Dehner is wonderful to work with. With my current boots I have had them 2x make changes & they are GREAT to work with. They don't make you go thru a dealer or tack shop (which adds cost & time in my experience). They explained to me what they needed, I shipped the boots back direct to Nebraska & I get them back exactly how I wanted (and cheaper than what I expect too). I can't say enough nice things about them.
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

Quote Originally Posted by SimplyRed View Post
    I get mine fully lined. I guess it depends on your threshold for pain? I wear moleskin (I'd leave it on for a few days rather than rip it off each time) if needed in areas (ankles, back of knees) & a pair of socks I fold over for more ankle protection. Somebody riding 3-5 horses a day is going to break in boots faster than somebody who rides only 4x a week so that is also a factor to consider.
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I didn't vote as my dress boots are Vogels, my paddocks are Dehner - both customs.

The Vogels are 20yo and held up beautifully when I was showing a lot from 1989 to 1996 and for schooling/clinics since then. I had zips put in the back around 10 years ago and they lasted until 2 years ago when one broke. It only cost me $75 to have the one boot repaired.
    They were stiff at first, but now they fit "like budda".
    Vogel customer service has always been very pleasant to work with.

I got my first pair of Dehner zip-up paddocks in 1990 - they lasted 7 years, through 2 resoles & a zipper replacement.
    My next pair were pull-ons and they were good for 5 years - can't recall why I ordered the 3rd pair but they are still going strong since 2002.
    All 3 pairs were the oil-tanned leather and all three fit like bedroom slippers from day one. Zero break-in time needed.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

I've had four pairs of Dehners made over the last 30 years and I am still wearing three of them....they are fantastic, just don't be in a hurry ( can take months for them to be made) and get measured by a pro.

I have had Dehners and they are just fine however I just got a new pair of Der Dau's and they are much better. I love them, they came perfect except for the ankles which I applied conditioner to and now they are perfect. Can't say enough good things about them. Yea they were very expensive and it shows.
    I will never go back to another type of boot.
    Ms Robin
    Farm Websites & SEO, Low Prices, Barter available!
    ~No Horses to Slaughter clique~

I bought 17" calf dressage boots with zippers (Petrie) off the shelf from dressage extensions. They don't advertise them buit can get them - just call.
    Now in Kentucky

I answered other. I have a pair of Effingham's and I love them to death. I have 16.5in calves with breeches on, so I had a heck of a time trying to find off the rack boots that fit. I also have a relatively short calf, so that was an issue too. I'm a student, so I didn't have the money to pay for customs. I bought my Effingham's used for less than $200. They were made custom for someone else and are made of calf leather and fully lined with pigskin. (Saying this makes me feel like a horrible human being, but at least I wasn't the one who had them made ).

They are the most soft, most comfortable boots I've ever worn. I wear them 4-5 times a week for lessons and around the barn and they've held up beautifully so far. Breaking them in was great - while I walked a bit stiffly, there were no blisters, no moleskine needed, and no major discomfort. The leather quickly creased and was incredibly pliable, maybe a little too pliable. That would be the only minor complaint I have about these boots: they're so soft that they easily crease and the person before me wore some accordion creases in them that are a bit unattractive.

As The Bond Boot Company went out of business several years ago, they obviously would not be able to make adjustments later on, but any cobbler worth their salt would be able to do so. My boots were a bit too large in the calf (probably why the person before me gave them up) for me, then I lost quite a bit of weight and they were huge! So I took them into a cobbler and he took the calf in, and the final product was great.

Sorry for the incredibly long spiel, but I totally recommend looking for Effingham's in the used sections of local tack stores. They are amazing boots.