The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stallion Fees how do you come up with the rate?

I just received my sport horse directory and there are tons of gorgeous stallions to choose from some cheap some not so cheap. What I am curious to know is how do the stallion owners come up with the rate for the breeding fee? What is the booking fee for? Why do some charge one and others do not?

I just read that Hickstead's fee is $5500 per dose!
    Who is the most expensive stallion non racing right now?
    Ms Robin
    Farm Websites & SEO, Low Prices, Barter available!
    ~No Horses to Slaughter clique~

The odd thing is that Hickstead is listed on the Sprehe site for Euro 1250. per dose. Depending on the exchange rate - that is probably less than 2K. US dollars (for those in Europe).

Good question!
    www.clearbluefarm.com - a work in progress

Ontario <Living life for the journey not the destination>

Well that would be really unfair... offer Hickstead for less that 1/2 price to breeders in Europe. Hope that is not true.
    http://www.blazingcoloursfarm.com

Join us on FACEBOOK
    Living life for the journey, not the destination.

The most expensive stallion I know of, at Public Stud that isn't a race horse, is Smart Chic Olena (reining and cutting sire). Stud fee is 25k and by live cover only.

Many things determine a stallion's stud fee... SCOL's is based on his progeny earnings mostly (over 11mil earned in the aforementioned disciplines.. not including any sales ). Most stallions that have produced foals have a stud fee based on that. Other factor's (particularly for stallion's with few/young/no offspring) are their own performance, pedigree, and really what the person feels a dose is worth.

Booking fee: It is to secure a breeding. Good faith money essentially. It's especially helpful to stallion owners if they are limiting the bookings on their stallion, because it will weed out people who say yes to a bunch, and decide at the last minute who to breed to (yes their are people like that).. it ensures that they will send semen/accept mare when she arrives and will be bred. Some breeders don't charge it (usually if they only deal with A.I and are not limiting a book.. and haven't had a plethora of people say "yes" I'm breeding to Big Guy and then back out).

Quote Originally Posted by Clear Blue View Post
    The odd thing is that Hickstead is listed on the Sprehe site for Euro 1250. per dose. Depending on the exchange rate - that is probably less than 2K. US dollars (for those in Europe).

Good question!
    I saw that too. I'd love to know the reasoning behind the huge price difference.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Just saw this, will work to find an answer, Ingrid
    Healthy Chocolate lets me live the lifestyle I want in order to enjoy the horses I love.

http://www.xocaichocolatehealth.com
    http://www.matchmakerequine.com

Wow, Arko III is only 1000 euros on the Sprehe site!

Didn't Arko III used to be 5000?
    Home of Ironman: GOV, BWP, RPSI, CSHA, AWR, ISR Oldenburg, CWHBA, CSHA, CS, and PHR.
    www.ironmanonline.com

Where is the Sprehe site?
    Chris Misita
    www.hiddenvalleyfarms.net Home of Bravo and Warrick!
    To dare; progress comes at this price. All sublime conquests are, more or less, the rewards of daring.
    Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by smokygirl View Post
    The most expensive stallion I know of, at Public Stud that isn't a race horse, is Smart Chic Olena (reining and cutting sire). Stud fee is 25k and by live cover only.

Many things determine a stallion's stud fee... SCOL's is based on his progeny earnings mostly (over 11mil earned in the aforementioned disciplines.. not including any sales ). Most stallions that have produced foals have a stud fee based on that. Other factor's (particularly for stallion's with few/young/no offspring) are their own performance, pedigree, and really what the person feels a dose is worth.

Booking fee: It is to secure a breeding. Good faith money essentially. It's especially helpful to stallion owners if they are limiting the bookings on their stallion, because it will weed out people who say yes to a bunch, and decide at the last minute who to breed to (yes their are people like that).. it ensures that they will send semen/accept mare when she arrives and will be bred. Some breeders don't charge it (usually if they only deal with A.I and are not limiting a book.. and haven't had a plethora of people say "yes" I'm breeding to Big Guy and then back out).

I always wondered why Smart Chic Olena foals were expensive and now I know

Thanks for the details, the booking fee makes total sense to me now. I just thought it may have been a way to make more money but I see that isn't the case at all.

Thanks again very helpful.

The Hickstead thing makes no sense it should be the same no matter where you are.
    Ms Robin
    Farm Websites & SEO, Low Prices, Barter available!
    ~No Horses to Slaughter clique~

I look at booking fees as similar to earnest money when you are buying a house. Or a downpayment. Or a little of both. LOL It ensures that someone is indeed serious and intends to follow through. It is incredibly helpful when you are trying to plan a season for a busy stallion.

As for the differences in semen prices in North America vs. Europe, has anyone taken into consideration the quarantine costs that a stallion must incur to ship semen internationally?? I don't know what they charge over there, but over here, it is cost prohibitive (for me), while shipping "in country" can happen any old time, essentially, without having to have the stallion leave for an extended period of time.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Quote Originally Posted by rideagoldenpony View Post
    I look at booking fees as similar to earnest money when you are buying a house. Or a downpayment. Or a little of both. LOL It ensures that someone is indeed serious and intends to follow through. It is incredibly helpful when you are trying to plan a season for a busy stallion.

As for the differences in semen prices in North America vs. Europe, has anyone taken into consideration the quarantine costs that a stallion must incur to ship semen internationally?? I don't know what they charge over there, but over here, it is cost prohibitive (for me), while shipping "in country" can happen any old time, essentially, without having to have the stallion leave for an extended period of time.
    I normally do but in this case Hickstead is based in North America, not in Europe.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Some stallions in the Sprehe site only appear in the german version of the website.
    This is the case for Hickstead and Arko, when you go to the english language, they disapear!
    "If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster, And treat those two imposters just the same"
    Rudyard Kipling
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Quartz...26013000796803

Quidam de Revel is $8500 no LFG!!!!! Beats Hicksteads' fee....but outrageous regardless!!!!!

All The Gold is still at $5000 - with no real LFG because of his age

Quote Originally Posted by msrobin View Post
    I always wondered why Smart Chic Olena foals were expensive and now I know

Thanks for the details, the booking fee makes total sense to me now. I just thought it may have been a way to make more money but I see that isn't the case at all.

Thanks again very helpful.

The Hickstead thing makes no sense it should be the same no matter where you are.

And even at that fee, and at his age, he is still breeding a full book every year. You have to get your name in really early to breed to him. But, they figured that most of his foals shown earn more than the stud fee back, not including any of their stud fees (or sale fo their foals).. so to many, it makes sense.

Because I thought I mentioned it.. and upon rereading.. didn't (that I saw), nor did anyone else..

Usually (if anything is every "usual" in the unusual horse world ), the booking fee is included in the stud fee, but is paid when the contract is signed at the beginning of the season, so if a stallion's fee is $5000, and his booking fee is $1000, that means when you return the contract, you send in the $1000.00, and then depending on the contract, you would pay the rest of the stud fee upon the terms of the contract (I've seen everything from when the semen is sent to conf. of pregnancy to when the foal is nursing as the date for that though.. depends on the people).