The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trailering to NC from Ma./Vt.-best route?

I'm taking my pony from western Ma. to NC next month, and am wondering if anyone out there who's done the trek can recommend the best route? Without the trailer, I normally get around NYC by heading west through Ct., then picking up the Garden State Pkwy in NJ. I don't think trailers are allowed on the Parkway (anyone know?) . Mapquest wants to send me down 95 over the GW Bridge, which looks like a faster route, but I'm concerned about traffic (and haven't been that way in 20 yrs, so don't know how congested it gets).
    I'm going to ask AAA, but if anyone out there has experience with this, I'd love the insight! Thanks
    Whatever you do, or dream you can, begin it; Boldness has genius, magic, and power in it ~ Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Flipper View Post
    . Mapquest wants to send me down 95 over the GW Bridge, which looks like a faster route, but I'm concerned about traffic (and haven't been that way in 20 yrs, so don't know how congested it gets).
    I'm going to ask AAA, but if anyone out there has experience with this, I'd love the insight! Thanks
    Well I can't help you with any of your other questions....but I'm in Western Mass and go down 95/GW Bridge maybe eight or nine times a year to see family. I have sat on that route for literally eight hours in traffic, and I have zipped right through at 65mph (or whatever the speed limit is.) The key to not getting stuck is picking the correct time to go. Early Sunday morning on a non-holiday/non-beach weekend is great, as well as significantly after rush hour in the evenings. Or if you can get up at two or three in the morning, you can miss the majority of the morning rush hour traffic as well.

Don't bother thinking about traveling on holidays, or the day after a major holiday...you'll just sit in traffic with grumpy CT/NY drivers.

When it comes to hauling horses, I take the safest/most well-known route in case something happens.

I agree with the other poster - you have to pick the right time. Atlanta traffic is the same way. I can leave my house before 7:05am and be to work in 45 minutes (30 miles away). If I leave my house anytime AFTER 7:05 (even if it's 7:07-7:10), I am always 5-15 minutes late.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

I moved to NC from Ct 17 years ago and travel back and forth at least once a year. I use I-84 to Scranton, then down I-81. It depends what part of NC you are travelling to, we are near Greensboro and Winston Salem. I-81 connects to 220 in Roanoke, which is pretty much a beeline to the Southern Pines area. PA is pretty hilly but once you get south of Harrisburg the roads are great, and the traffic is much lighter than I-95.

You are correct in that you cannot haul a trailer on the Garden State Parkway ... I know from personal experience!!!

I moved from Hartford to Charlotte, then up to VA, but still go back to CT on occasion to visit, so I am ALL to familiar with the traffic.

The only consistently good time (I ever found) to head across the GWB is early in the morning on a weekend.... by early, I mean no later than 5am....
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post

Give it up. Many of us CoTHers are trapped at a computer all day with no way out, and we hunt in packs. So far it as all been in good fun. You should be thankful for that.

Oh, Lord, I didn't even consider what you would hit in DC. The SO lives up there so I think I try to mentally block any travel up there as much as I can.... but that has become a nightmare to travel through as well.

I think you should check out the route via 81 posted earlier - sounds like a better plan to me!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post

Give it up. Many of us CoTHers are trapped at a computer all day with no way out, and we hunt in packs. So far it as all been in good fun. You should be thankful for that.

Quote Originally Posted by hmfarm View Post
    I moved to NC from Ct 17 years ago and travel back and forth at least once a year. I use I-84 to Scranton, then down I-81. It depends what part of NC you are travelling to, we are near Greensboro and Winston Salem. I-81 connects to 220 in Roanoke, which is pretty much a beeline to the Southern Pines area. PA is pretty hilly but once you get south of Harrisburg the roads are great, and the traffic is much lighter than I-95.
    The other thing to consider is tolls- running southbound on 95 there are fewer tolls than going north, but it's still an expensive trip with a trailer. Going 84 W then through PA will save you a ton on tolls, and there's much less traffic.

All things being equal, it adds about an hour (I'm in MD and have gone both ways to go home to CT), if you were to imagine there was no traffic on 95, anyway. The other thing is that the whole section of 95 right before the GW bridge- I find it really disconcerting with a little car, and wouldn't want to drive a trailer through there if I can help it (on the flip side, if you go through that area before 7 AM it's much easier).
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

I tend to go I-84 to I-684 to I-287. That is a longer route, but it's a trucking friendly route(rest areas, traffic tends to flow pretty well) and it loops around the NYC madness. Edit: just saw post above re Parkways in Joisey. Stick to I-95 and if you don't have one, get a Fastlane/speedpass/whateveryoucall it transponder. Worth it's weight in gold when towing.

I would definitely take 95, and plan your timing right. If you're a bit of a night owl, I personally really prefer hauling overnight. You have to be prepared to handle emergencies for a bit on your own, and not everything is open, but the tradeoff is that there is no traffic, it's cooler (not a concern in February but definitely a plus by July), less fumes, etc. 95 at low traffic is pretty much ideal for hauling horses. Tons of room, big exits for trucks, etc.

I agree with Pookah. I have done the trip many, many times and tried all sorts of permutations. If I am doing it without a stop I start from NC at a time that will take me through Washington after 7-8 pm. That takes me through NYC between 12 and 3 am, and I always just breeze through. If I need to rest, I wait until I am on 91 south of Hartford. My record time for this trip is 12.5 hours from Raleigh, NC to mid-Vermont.

I strongly recommend that you get an EZ-Pass (you can get them online). It will save you time and money. Whatever you do, do not travel on a holiday!

Thanks for all the input y'all! Well, I'm totally NOT a night-owl, & I plan to leave on a weds., so that means I'd be hauling down 95 during the 'crazy' time.... And I have hauled to Maryland via 84 once, and ended up in a snowstorm in the Poconos (w/ tractor trailers roaring past me - soooo not fun!) & although it was scenic, I'd rather not do that again. I will also be stopping for the night in Maryland to see the folks north of Baltimore, so that'll put the DC horror off for the next day. Hmmmm. Maybe I'll have to flip a coin on this one!
    Whatever you do, or dream you can, begin it; Boldness has genius, magic, and power in it ~ Goethe

Default you can take the parkway in nj.

it's only off limits to commercial truck traffic and that's not even the case throughout the entire road.
    but i think you'd want to catch the turnpike in nj and take that down (unless you want to avoid tolls then take 78W to 81 or 84 (??) i think which will take you through harrisburg, pa, etc and then down through MD, WVa, VA).
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

Smile Best Route

I-81 can be really foggy at times with a trailer. We have gone I 95 several times both ways and I would suggest going that way and just trying to time it right. It is much more direct and more likely to be free of snow/ice depending on when you are going. You can also take the look around Washington if it looks like you are getting there at a bad time. Baltimore is a great 1/2 stopping point, so you should be able to plan your trip pretty well. Plus, if you are stopping in Baltimore, I would definitely take I 95. My sister lives there and otherwise, it seems to me you would be going out of your way. Good luck!