The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Unhappy Wont go in Sweet Iron, wont stop in eggbutt.. Help?!

I'm having issues at the moment.

Taffy has been in a Sweet Iron copper loose ring thing for a couple of months, and I have a Hack show in about 4 weeks, so I started riding him in a regular eggbutt and flat reins. (The other bit has grippy ones)

In the loose ring, it's hard to get him going. Even when we're jumping. I've tried to carry a whip, but he just spazzes out, and has a melt down. Spurs do jack all for him.

In the eggbutt, he won't stop, collect, he has his head up all the time and it's driving me barmey!

I have NO idea what to do*, and I NEED him to be round, and working well from behind, because it's a hack show, and that's what he's being judged on.

If it was dressage, I probably wouldn't be as worried, but it's not.

Any ideas? Maybe your horse is/was the same? How did you fix it? (without more bits!)

*If your going to post things like 'He needs more schooling', 'get lessons' etc etc, please don't bother posting at all. My instructor is busy atm, because she is also a teacher at my school, and we go back tomorrow, so she's caught up with that. And because school has gone back, I can't ride as often as I would like.

Unhappy Wont go in Sweet Iron, wont stop in eggbutt.. Help?! (Posted in Eventing as well)

I'm having issues at the moment.

Taffy has been in a Sweet Iron copper loose ring thing for a couple of months, and I have a Hack show in about 4 weeks, so I started riding him in a regular eggbutt and flat reins. (The other bit has grippy ones)

In the loose ring, it's hard to get him going. Even when we're jumping. I've tried to carry a whip, but he just spazzes out, and has a melt down. Spurs do jack all for him.

In the eggbutt, he won't stop, collect, he has his head up all the time and it's driving me barmey!

I have NO idea what to do*, and I NEED him to be round, and working well from behind, because it's a hack show, and that's what he's being judged on.

If it was dressage, I probably wouldn't be as worried, but it's not.

Any ideas? Maybe your horse is/was the same? How did you fix it? (without more bits!)

*If your going to post things like 'He needs more schooling', 'get lessons' etc etc, please don't bother posting at all. My instructor is busy atm, because she is also a teacher at my school, and we go back tomorrow, so she's caught up with that. And because school has gone back, I can't ride as often as I would like.

So you won't get more bits, and you won't school him more... what WILL you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrey View Post
    So you won't get more bits, and you won't school him more... what WILL you do?
    Ditto...
    Proud member of the EDRF

I don't want more bits because he has to learn to work in these ones, seeing as these are he ones he's going to be competing in.

And I will school him, I just don't wont every second post to 'school him'. I know I have to. But I don;t know what I should school him ON.

LOL, I know what you mean!

OK, that out of the way- my question- what are the mouthpieces in the bits like? Thick or thin? Single joint or french link?

Is it possible that he really doesn't like that mouthpiece and one bit with a mouthpiece that works well in his mouth could solve some of the issues?

You've got four weeks to prep him for this hack show; he won't "go" in a sweet iron, and won't "stop" in an eggbutt, you don't want to hear he needs more schooling and you won't /can't buy a different bit.

You're screwed.

But seriously, maybe he has mouth issues? Maybe needs his teeth floated? You need to figure out WHY he won't collect or stop before you figure out what to school him on. Might you be unintentionally driving him forward with your seat or legs while trying to stop him?

Lots of possibilities spring to mind. What might be making the horse uncomfortable or inattentive to you? If you can't come up with a solution, best to cancel the show, rather than frustrate yourself and your horse. Getting the horse right is more important than the show!

WHY are these the bits he "has to show in?" Why can't you change his bit, when it seems clear from what you've posted that he's reacting negatively to - at least in part - his bit(s)?

Ambrey is right - you need to look at the mouthpieces. Quite frankly, you haven't described the bits at all (I could (theoretically) have a bit that was sweet iron, copper, loose ring, AND egg butt...and it could still be dramatically different form ANOTHER bit that was also sweet iron, copper, loose ring, AND egg butt), and that - along with refusing to change - makes me think you aren't really considering your bit choices. And, with some horses, THAT can be a big problem.
    Proud member of the EDRF

It might not be the bit . Can you post a video or even some pictures? Ive learnt the hard way that trying to solve a problem before a show can be a disaster. If things are as bad as you say I would ditch the show idea as you are only putting pressure on yourself.

The eggbutt isn't thick, but it's not thin.. if that makes sense? I got it with my old horse, so I have no idea what it would be classified as.

Found on google. Looks about the same size, if not bigger..?:http://www.elysianfieldsranch.com/im...uttSnaffle.jpg

The Sweet Iron is sorta thin, with decent sized rings. :http://www.parelli.com/image?pid=259

Both are 5", which sits perfectly in his mouth, and both only have one joint.

I also have a big fat loose ring, but it's to long for his mouth, because it was for my ex-racer.

I was thinking of getting a french link or one with a lozenge, because I was thinking maybe his palette is sore, and he needs something that won't whack him when I get contact..?

Maybe borrow one off a friend? She has a few different sized ones, and I'm sure at least one will fit him.

And it's not that i don't want to hear 'he need's schooling' because I wont do it. It's because I KNOW he need's it, and I just don't want it repeated a trillion times.

And it's not that I WON'T get another bit, I just don't have any money atm, and I have to wait till I get another job, because the last one fell through.

And these are the bits he has to show in, because it has to be either a snaffle or a pelham/double bridle, and I don't want to have him in a double bridle if he doesn't need it. I find judges like horses in a snaffle a little more, because it shows they don't need to have extra bitting. He's never been shown in anything but a snaffle, and I would like to keep it that way.

I can get video/pictures tomorrow (hopefully) but I don't know when I will have them posted.

He's not that bad, it's just annoying, and makes us look bad. I took him for a ride out the back today, in the scrub, and he was perfect. I'm starting to think maybe he was just bored of going in circles..? And that maybe I should school him out there?

ETA: I just got an email from the dentist saying he's due to have his teeth done again Go figure aye?

I guess I don't understand why you're showing a horse you can't get to go or stop if you have no money? Why not wait a while, at least until you have him going well and can afford a bit he's comfortable in?

Because he has been fine until 2 weeks ago, and yesterday he was feral.

Like I said, he needs his teeth done, and hopefully he will be better.

And it's only $5 entry fee, and $3 per class, making it about $35, so I'm pretty set for it

And, as I also said before, I'm going to get a french link off a friend and see how he goes in that. If he's no different, then I'll just have to work with him.

I would wonder if the eggbutt is too thick, which is why he seems irritated by it - which could be exacerbated by dental issues. Not being very forward may either be "normal" for this horse (so a schooling issue), or it could be being backed off by the bit, for whatever reason.

Assuming that all else is being done correctly, I would look at something like a thinnish (not super thin, but not thick) french link. If he's a sensitive type in general, I might look for something with fixed rings. If he's happy in the loose ring otherwise (not fussy), then I'd stick with loose rings (if it ain't broke...).

There are THOUSANDS of bit choices that are snaffles (and that's without going to pelham/double options). So you have THOUSANDS of choices that you can still show in. And I rarely pay more than $30 for a bit, so if you have enough to go to even a cheap show, you have enough for a bit (though I would definitely borrow first if you can, so you don't end up buying TEN bits in the process...).

As an example, my older horse goes quite well in this: http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=914420433

Baby is about to get switched to this (from a loose ring), I think (but maybe the same mouth in a full cheek): http://www.tackroominc.com/bikorstee...it-p-6987.html

While similar, those are actually quite different bits, and good (or bad) on different horses. And both are quite thoroughly legal to show in.
    Proud member of the EDRF

This one is a little bit fat, but definitely cheap

http://millerharness.com/product.asp...g+Horse+Bit_E_

Quote Originally Posted by Kementari View Post
    Not being very forward may either be "normal" for this horse
    He's normally quite forward. Not run around like a hoon forward, but I don't normally have any issues asking him forward.

or it could be being backed off by the bit, for whatever reason.
    I think this would be the most likely answer.

I'm taking a trip to Horseland on the weekend (hopefully) because they have a sale, and then to the 2nd hand tack shop, which sells good used and new bits for WAAAY cheap.

I just wish I could pin point what was wrong with him

ETA: These are the exact types of bits my friend has, and that I will use: http://myhorse.ie/images/wr553.jpg

perhaps one should look at ones self bad hands make for bit advassion

look here http://www.meredithmanor.com/feature...t_evasions.asp

Quote Originally Posted by goeslikestink View Post
    perhaps one should look at ones self bad hands make for bit advassion

look here http://www.meredithmanor.com/feature...t_evasions.asp
    How the heck would you know what my hands are like?

He doesn't do it to just me. He does it to my instructor, my friend, his old trainer - who broke him in 15 years ago - who came to visit him the other day.

They all say it's him and his mouth.

Well, I have a couple of thoughts but apparently I'm not allowed to post them, so never mind.

Ditto what Saje said - but i do have a few questions:

Why do you even have him in that bit if he's hard to get going?
    What did you have him in before?
    And why not more bits?

Guess i am confused - you wont change the bit and you don't want ideas on schooling? how can we help??
    Proud owner of a Spicy mare!!

Kid, this isn't a bit issue.