The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Changing of diagonals

I was taught that you should change your diagonal upon reaching the new direction, on the rail, with the new bend. I see most people seem to change diagonals in the center of the ring, when going across the diagonal to a new direction. What is considered correct...or I guess "more" correct?

I was always taught to change my diagonal at "X" which is the center of the ring. I keep my horse straight between my legs and hands and lightly sit two beats and then when I reach the rail i start to bend my horse. This is the "more" correct way.

That sort of begs the question, where is the "correct" place to change the bend? I would suppose that you change your diagonal wherever you change the bend and, to me, the center of the diagonal is the correct place, imho.

Unless maybe you were lengthening across the diagonal or something then returned to a regular working trot and changed at the rail.

The way I was taught is that it's not about what direction, but more about what your bend is. If you had no fence, how would you know what diagonal to be on? You're switching your direction by going down the diagonal, which means you should switch your bend. You should be switching your bend in the middle of the ring, so switching your diagonal makes a good bit of sense.

I was orginally taught to change at X unless I was lengthening, during which I would change at the rail. Now, I do what palmettoshorty outlined...

I was always taught to change when you reached the rail unless you were going directly across the ring, as in a figure 8. Maybe some dressage folks can chime in.

I was taught by my first dressage coach to change at the rail when changing rein across the diagonal (and no one has complained since). The bend should change when you get to the rail and start heading in the new direction when changing rein across the diagonal. Otherwise center of the ring (or figure) for serpentines and figure eights.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    I was taught by my first dressage coach to change at the rail when changing rein across the diagonal (and no one has complained since). The bend should change when you get to the rail and start heading in the new direction when changing rein across the diagonal. Otherwise center of the ring (or figure) for serpentines and figure eights.
    When I started in my dressage lessons this is how I was told to do it, but I grew up riding HJ's and I told to change in the middle

For hunters and eq you change in the middle (unless you are doing a lengthening), for dressage you change at the end of the diagonal so as not to effect the horses stride.

I was also taught that you change your diagonal at X. But my new instructor tells me to change it at the rail.

I always change my bend and diagonal in the middle of the ring.

Quote Originally Posted by fourmares View Post
    For hunters and eq you change in the middle (unless you are doing a lengthening), for dressage you change at the end of the diagonal so as not to effect the horses stride.
    This is what I was taught.

THough to be honest, I often switch at X in dressage, as at least with my older horse, I score better if I prepare for the bend better (and thus get a better change of bend) and risk a little hitch in the middle. We'll see how baby works out in that regard over the next couple of years...
    Proud member of the EDRF

I change diagonal when I change bend.

I change diagonal when I change bend.

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Jade View Post
    I was always taught to change when you reached the rail unless you were going directly across the ring, as in a figure 8. Maybe some dressage folks can chime in.
    Dressage isn't going to help you here, as there is no requirement to change diagonals AT ALL in dressage. You pick whichever diagonal will give the better performance. Generally that means you DON'T change at X, as you don't want to disrupt the rhythm.

If you ARE goiing to change diagonal, you typically either change just as you turn onto the diagonal, or at the end of the diagonal, whichever works better for THAT horse.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I was alos taught to change diagonals in the center of the ring.