The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Let's talk about show gloves....

Okay so I need to buy a nice pair of show gloves, what kind do you guys use?

Any ones to avoid?

Thanks!

I looooove my Roeckl's but I once had a pair of really thin leather TS gloves that I loved that my tack store no longer carries.

I would recommend trying them on before buying if you're picky. Sometimes a glove will look great on the outside but once you put it on, there may be annoying seams or something.

Good luck! I can't wait for show season to start up here in the snowy NE!

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

I agree -my Roeckls are my new favorites, but gloves are like shoes and hats, you have to try them on!
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

While I love my Roeckls and have several pairs of the synthetic ones, they also make buttery soft leather gloves. The leather is very thin and has lots of "feel" to it, they might be more appropriate for the show ring. I agree that its a very personal choice though, you must try them on and find out what suits you best.

Roeckels and SSG all the way, baby!!

One of the many reasons I love them is that they don't bleed. I had other gloves stain my hands blue every time I sweat in them. Which was, of course, every time I rode in them.

I like the velcro wrist on the Roeckels and SSGs, too. It is nice to have the adjustment and be able to unvelcro them when it's hot out and you're waiting around.
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

I really like the Heritage Pro Tackified Gloves. They remind me of golf gloves and I love how soft they are. I wear them for schooling and at shows, though sometimes the logo on the closer part of the glove does pop off on my schooling gloves because of wear/tear.

I bought a pair of Roeckls which I loved (paid just under $50.00) and they started delaminating after about 6 uses. Apparently that is a known defect with the product. If you look at them closely they have little round scales and the scales started peeling off after very little usage. I replaced them with Ariat Teks (sp?) and they are great.

I have in a pair of these for schooling: http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=914371449

But I would love to have these for showing: http://breechesusa.com/index.php?mai...oducts_id=5975

Brummel Horse Farm
    Equine Sales Facility in Westminster, MD
    Western and English Pleasure/Show Horses
    www.brummelhorsefarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shortstroke View Post
    I bought a pair of Roeckls which I loved (paid just under $50.00) and they started delaminating after about 6 uses. Apparently that is a known defect with the product. If you look at them closely they have little round scales and the scales started peeling off after very little usage. I replaced them with Ariat Teks (sp?) and they are great.
    I have 3 pairs, that hasn't happened to any of them, and I even throw them in the machine on the gentle cycle to wash them. My newest pair is more than a year old and the others probably 3 years old, I am very happy with how durable they are.

Roeckls and Heritage are both my show gloves. Buttery soft and a much better fit than the $80 ones that I got at Bevals!

I have a few pairs I found at Malvern Saddlery. They come from Britain I think and are a little pricey @ $59/69 but I LOVE them. I have 2 pairs for everyday riding (I alternate days to reduce wear on them) and a black pair for showing. They come in loads of fun color combos, and have great grip despite being super soft leather. I have to say, I had one pair with defective leather, and both Malvern and the manufacturer were great about replacing them. Otherwise, no problems and VERY happy.
    Equus Doth Indeed Makeus Brokeus. Or Brokeus Meus -- when you have a baby warmblood, it could be either one!

I love Geier gloves. They are sold to western riders and are a little thicker, but they are wonderful. I like the roper's gloves with the reinforced palms

Quote Originally Posted by Shortstroke View Post
    Yep, I had the same problem. I would say even the first ride they began to go downhill. They were still usable after the little ribber things came off, but not as grippy and awful when wet. Oh well. I suppose I'll stick to the cheap thin leather ones that seem to hold up the best and still look decent.
    It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw.

SSG or Ariat - especially Ariat for hot weather (they have one that's a cooler fabric that still looks neat and tidy).

I love my Roeckl gloves, though I only use them at shows, so I haven't put them through that much "use." The few pairs I have, though, have held up for several years of 8-10 weeks of use a year.

I also love my Ariat winter gloves. They're thin enough to give me a good feel through the glove, but thick enough to keep my hands warm. And since they've held up so well through the winter I'm thinking of buying myself a pair of Ariat gloves for the summer too (non-insulated, obviously).

I had a pair of Roeckl's too that I loved. I've had the Roeckl's for about 4 years now and they just started giving out on me. I just got a comparable pair of Ariat's for Christmas that have the same texture and feel too.

I have a pair of Roeckls. I really like them & I am a hard fit glove wise. But I only use them for the show ring in the hunters or eq. They are soft & wonderful, but no way would they hold up for me using daily.

I got a pair of Neumans for the jumper ring. Love them! I also use them at home if I want to wear gloves (normally I don't unless it's my winter gloves).
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

I like the Roeckl gloves, especially how easy they can be cleaned. All synthetic gloves wear out fairly quickly as compared to leather, but the Roeckl gloves have better seams than the SSG gloves. SSG glove have seams which tend to pull apart fairly quickly as well as the gloves wearing out.

Roeckls are the way to go. Love, love, love mine. I also have a pair of leather Ariats that I love as well. They are classic looking, don't bleed, and fit perfectly.

I really like the Ariat Tek Grips, available at Smart Pak. It says they're for schooling, but I school and show in mine. Love them. They fit me better than SSG's, which I find a bit bulky.

I had a pair of Tailored Sportsman leather gloves and they turned my hands black. The Ariats only turn my wrists black. :-)
    ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~