The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default spinoff-- good saddle pad or other info for cold-backed? Back on Track?

My horse sometimes is a little "cold-backed" which is not a term I like to use, but it's the easiest one to use. He's not so sensitive that he takes off bucking, or whatnot, but is definitely uncomfortable for a little bit. For the past year I have been lunging him before I ride- about 10 minutes or so. I have a thinline half pad (not the sheepskin- just the basic one) over a regular cotton pad.
    We had some saddle fitting issues two years ago- and I think it relates to this. Plus we've been a little inconsistant with working- related to weather, jobs, etc, Am moving to a new place with indoor and hoping this will help- as well as getting my saddle rechecked.
    Basically, if I get on w/out lunging, he tenses up a bit, and sometimes will hump his back, lighten his hind end a bit, act like he's going to buck but then just works out of it- I just push him forward and relax.
    I have heard of the Back On Track saddle pads- I would LOVE to try that.. I'm on a budget- anything much more expensive is probably out of the question. Any suggestions?

Default Back On Track

I have used the back on track blanket pad before having my horse massaged. He is a TB and it seem to help him relax so the massage went much better. I have not tried the saddle pad yet.

I posted about a Thinline several months ago because I was not sure if they were worth the investment. Several people here stated no difference so I was not going to get one. A friend unbeknownst to me had purchased one for me.

I have since bought a second one and love them. I got the back on track with the thinline combination. I now ride all of the horses here in one.

I def. have one coming 4 yr old with a more sensitive back that was holding himself. I now lunge him in it for 10 minutes before I get on and it has made a huge difference in this horse.

I also found that it did dampen some of the bounce however it may only be a result of this guy being more willing to lift his back. He also seems very much more willing to work and listen. This pad made a huge difference in him.

Thinline sent me an email offering a $20 off special right now. Not sure if it is for everyone but you could contact them and ask.

Was this horse always cold-backed or is this something that developed since you've owned him?

I have found that horses that learned this behavior/reaction to tacking up very early, whether it be on the track or just from rough handling in general, don't usually totally work out of the resistance to saddling. You can buy all of the expensive pads on the shelves and it won't change the behavior. Pain and discomfort are powerful memories!

Keeping your saddle fit checked by a reputable fitter, patience while girthing and a slow warmup are far more valuable than a "magic" saddle pad.

If it's a more recent development, then explore your options, but don't exclude a fitter and possibly the help of a chiropractor/bodyworker/vet to get to the root of the pain issue.

No, I'm not looking for a "quick" fix persay. And no, he's 13, and this only developed when we had saddle fit issues- I thought the saddle fit, but it apparently didn't. So now we have a new saddle, and I am getting it re-checked soon. Some of it is probably a little emotional, but I'm just looking for either a pad that will help him feel more comfortable, or exercises that will help him relax and warm up his back. He has been seen by a massage therapist and vets have looked at him and found nothing.

http://www.consensus-shopping.com/ad...ddle-pads.html

GREAT shock absorbing material - way better in my experience than the ThinLines.

Used to place a chammy under the saddle pad, just ran it under hot/warm water first. Kept horsey happy and helped keep the saddle pads clean.

Have you checked out http://www.draperequinetherapy.com/

They aren't inexpensive but I've heard good things about them.
    Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive. Dalai Lama

hmm warm chammy sounds interesting.. I can definitely get one of those cheap... and the draper equine products sound similar to the Back on Track- only different materials.
    Thanks for the ideas!

OK, now that you've given more information it's easier to give advice. There are several great introductory books on massage that you can do yourself that you could incorporate into your tacking routine. It's amazing what doing a few belly lifts can do to stretch out the back before strapping a saddle to it. If nothing else, it can serve to desensitize a trouble area for your horse.

Anything much thicker than an Ultra Thinline can change the fit of your saddle, so just make sure you don't add bulk under your saddle and create a new problem.

(Sorry to harp on this, but as a fitter, this is a common scenario!)

I have the Back on Track Back Pad and I think it does an excellent job of helping to warm up my horse's back. I have one of their human neck warmers and the no bows. I think the products are effective.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I have the back on track blankets and saddle pads. Love them both. I have two older mares (16 and 21) and they warm up so much faster when using the saddle pad and give me more of their backs.

Check his sternum. Sometimes the problem you see at the top starts at the bottom. The pectoral muscles, elbows and ribs near the sternum could be tight.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Quote Originally Posted by dressagediosa
    http://www.consensus-shopping.com/advancedsaddlefit/prolite-saddle-pads.html

GREAT shock absorbing material - way better in my experience than the ThinLines.
    I second this!! The Prolite pads are awesome, I love my prolite pads WAY better then my Thinline pads and my one horse is noticeable happier in it.

I've had super luck with the Formiga pads. It's a new company based out of Sweden and they're very similar to the Thinline pads, but I like these better. Right now I think Diamond Wool Pads based out of Rhode Island are the only ones carrying these pads.

Does he wear a blanket? My coldbacked horse was always worse in the winter and would even pull back in the crossties. I started blanketing him and he improved almost 100%. I think having a snuggly warm blanket helped warm up his back and made the saddle and pad not as much of a deal.

I have the thinline back on track pad and I really like it. They have a 30 day money back guarantee, so I suggest you try it, and if you don't like it, send it back. But definitely sign up on the website and wait for a coupon or look around for a coupon code, because they are expensive. I got mine for 20% off- you could also try ebay but then you don't get the return option.
    It's not "magic" but I noticed an improvement when I started using it, and so far after a couple of months I still like it.

Quote Originally Posted by alterationstation View Post
    My horse sometimes is a little "cold-backed" which is not a term I like to use, but it's the easiest one to use. He's not so sensitive that he takes off bucking, or whatnot, but is definitely uncomfortable for a little bit. For the past year I have been lunging him before I ride- about 10 minutes or so. I have a thinline half pad (not the sheepskin- just the basic one) over a regular cotton pad.
    We had some saddle fitting issues two years ago- and I think it relates to this. Plus we've been a little inconsistant with working- related to weather, jobs, etc, Am moving to a new place with indoor and hoping this will help- as well as getting my saddle rechecked.
    Basically, if I get on w/out lunging, he tenses up a bit, and sometimes will hump his back, lighten his hind end a bit, act like he's going to buck but then just works out of it- I just push him forward and relax.
    I have heard of the Back On Track saddle pads- I would LOVE to try that.. I'm on a budget- anything much more expensive is probably out of the question. Any suggestions?
    have you had your saddles flocked since you brought them and were they fitted to him as well as you if not then it will cause back pain it will also ccause back pain to a horse if one is one sided when riding agian a master saddle can tell you

Quote Originally Posted by Lieslot View Post
    I second this!! The Prolite pads are awesome, I love my prolite pads WAY better then my Thinline pads and my one horse is noticeable happier in it.
    Who carries the ProLite in the US? Is there any kind of trial period or anything? I would love to try one.

I have only 2 pads I will use on my stiff mare... she has a tight spinal column, and therefore gets a sore back on occasion, which takes her a long time to warm up. One of the two pads I use is the Thinline Back On Track pad, and it was worth every penny! Her back is sometimes literally cold to the touch, so 5 minutes of that pad on her back really warms up her muscles before I even put the saddle on. Another pad that I like is a pad made by a friend of mine who sews sheepskin on the underside, similar to the Mattes full pads. She likes that as well, and they are about the same price as the Back on Track pads! I have tons of other pads that are now just taking up space in my tack room and/or being used on training horses! I tried the "best" gel pads, the fleece half-pads, the sheepskin half-pads (over a normal pad), and none of those made her comfortable until well into our warm-up. Now my warm-up time is about half of what it once was (20 minutes of walking instead of 40!)