The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New trends for 2009!

been at thermal for almost a week, these are the biggest trends I see so far:

dark breeches like navy/ black/ grey with a show shirt and jacket for the jumpers

the antares helmet

the little tiny short shanked pelhams in hunters

wrap around tail braids instead of pinwheels

please add to the list!

Yay on the tail braids! I like the wraparound on my guy better anyway.

(started a trend topic already)
    "I am going to teach you about men. distances are like men. Never grab the first one you see; it's never the best one, and more will come along."-George Morris

Aww I like the pinwheel

wraparound? cool! i think it would look neat on my pony, though i do like the pinwheel.
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

wrap around? never seen that, but it sounds cool.
    the antares helmet? personally think thats ugly.
    leather belts are definetly back, for a while the ribbons were in, but glad to see many people wearing leather!

Pikeur front-zip breeches and Ariat Monaco Tall Boots!

Most braiders here in NorCA won't do a pinwheel unless you request it. The wrap around better secures a fake tail.

I thought the Antares helmet were not yet approved??

I have seen a lot of upside down bits also-a hackamore and a pelham. don't know if this is a trend or not! its weird though

also a lot of jumper riders using just the bottom rein on a pelhan, lamaze-style

Quote Originally Posted by Alterrain View Post
    I have seen a lot of upside down bits also-a hackamore and a pelham. don't know if this is a trend or not! its weird though
    How do you even do that?!?!
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

antares helmet?!?! your kidding right??

Quote Originally Posted by Alterrain View Post

also a lot of jumper riders using just the bottom rein on a pelhan, lamaze-style
    You mean the bit is actually upside down in the horses mouth? yuck......sounds painful for the horse!

And, if you're only going to use the bottom rein on the pelham, why not go with a gag bit instead? (or convertors?).........weird
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Default :)

Strong bits on strong mouths.. Compeditors should never hurt their horse, it's not an advantage in the show ring.. AKA Stix (Erics horse) rides in a rubber pellum with only a rain on the bottum link. This is VERY strong in the horses mouth. Often looked down on. BUT Stix is a crazy breeding stallion with a mouth made of gold. Nothing will break it down, and he needs something strong!

The biggest new trend is from Millar Brooke. Ian has had a cowboy come in and teach him natural horsemanship like it's a new training teq. lol Anyways, he now rides around the farm with no bridle on Stevey (In Style) and he drives his golfcart with Red (Redifin) trailing behind in his rope halter. All horses at the stable get round penned on the regular and he even rides at shows with a rope halter in replace of the nose band! (Natural horsemanship is not seen at that level). Very amusing.

If people did that out here on the east coast, everyone would be horrified! haha

The biggest new trend is from Millar Brooke. Ian has had a cowboy come in and teach him natural horsemanship like it's a new training teq. lol Anyways, he now rides around the farm with no bridle on Stevey (In Style) and he drives his golfcart with Red (Redifin) trailing behind in his rope halter. All horses at the stable get round penned on the regular and he even rides at shows with a rope halter in replace of the nose band! (Natural horsemanship is not seen at that level). Very amusing.
    Not that the trends affect me much, being quite a low level Westerner...I REALLY hope someone kills that trend. I hate rope halters, I think roundpenning is a usually a ridiculous waste of time...ugh. And a rope halter instead of a noseband, I don't think I hate my horse that much. Not getting enough pressure from a regular cavesson

Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

The only time we use a rope halter is when DD's pony starts getting too big for her britches and needs to be reminded NOT to drag the child while on the groud. I can't imagine riding in one.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Quote Originally Posted by norolimasfaloth View Post

Ya, the guy who taught Ian all of this is my old trainer's husband, she would try and get me to 'ground tie' and use rope halters etc etc and we usually butted heads on this- I don't need my jumper knowing how to ground tie or walking around wef with a halter/rope/bridle contraption!!

I am a reformed Parelli nut. Riding in a rope hackamore or halter isn't that big a deal...if you ride on a loose rein. That's how you use those tools under 'Parelli's rules'. Trying to keep contact (as you would in a Jumper show) using that knotted mess doesn't sound like a good plan to me, quite harsh, I would think.
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

I am not a fan of the Antares helmets...granted I've never seen one in real life, but in my opinion they don't look very, err, pretty.

Also...people are wearing black britches? Interesting..
    "Life ain't always beautiful but it's a beautiful ride."
    Proud Member of the "OMFG I've been Banned" clique.

Short enough to ride ponies but old enough to be in law school. What a life.

I hate the antares helmets! I have seen one in person and still think they're awful. And I am seeing front zip britches like Pikeur becoming very popular.