The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I quit!

Yes this is HR.

I have two cigs left in a pack. When they are gone, I quit. I may or may not smoke them.

This IS HR - I know I'll be a better, stronger rider when I can breathe with a fuller capacity.

I ENJOY smoking...but I don't enjoy what it's doing to me.

Anyone else?

I admire your will power!

I wish I had such where sweets were concerned. Or I'd likely not be has heavy as I am, and therefore be a better more centered and balanced rider myself.

Good luck to you!
    Chronicle of My Horse
    Secret Passage Ranch
    **a member of the
    Riders with Fibromyalgia & Adult Re-riders Clique

Quote Originally Posted by MyGiantPony View Post

This IS HR - I know I'll be a better, stronger rider when I can breathe with a fuller capacity.
    No advice except to say you're right. You WILL be a better stronger rider.

You'll also be more efficient. No more wasting time smoking. It's a big fat waste of time and effort when you could be in the saddle or around your horse. Think of the money you're saving. You could buy a fabulous bridle just with the money saved in a few weeks (depending on how much you smoked). Or - a nice saddle pad. Every time you want a smoke just put that money away. Get a doggone piggy bank if you need to. Stick it in a conspicuous area in your home. Want a smoke? Put money in thy purse! Watch that piggy bank fill up! Yeeha - soon it will be time to spend it on something for your horse!

You can do it!!!!

All my good wishes coming your way. I am 10 years off in February.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

Thumbs up Good job!

You can do it!!

I smoked for 10 years and just put them down cold turkey one Sept day in 2007. It was hard, but I was ready to quit. Like you I liked to smoke but didn't like what it was doing to my body.

About 3 weeks after quitting, I was riding and it hit me...damn, I can BREATHE! I told my trainer that now that I am actually getting oxygen to my brain who know what I will be able to do!
    Animals are not disposable!!!
    http://www.pawsnela.org

Good, then you will be like the rest of us, that can tell if someone smokes, because we can smell them and all that is theirs.
    Smokers can't smell, I think.

Seriously, even if you after all don't make it this time, just keep trying when you feel like it.
    It is a serious addiction. I know plenty of people that decided one day to just put them down and never again picked one, but it is very hard to do that.

I knew a girl that had a very nice horse, that really liked her and when she went to college and came back a few weeks later, that horse would not have anything to do with her.
    The only difference, she had started smoking.

Congratulations! This is a good decision! It will help your riding! I quit November 21, 2006 at 4:30 pm. I used the lozenges (sp!) and they helped a lot!

I quit years ago, and it took me multiple tries to do that. Finally, I quit by doing 3 quitting programs together: the herbs that I ordered from TV commercial, free support group from my health insurance and nicotine gum/patches. I didn't do it cold turkey, but decreased to 3-5 cigarettes per day and then quit.

I tried to do cold turkey and lasted only for a week or a month, but then picket it up again. They say that you have to stay off cigarettes for 6 months to claim that you are a FORMER smoker. Everything else is considered a "TRY". They say that it takes about 17 tires to quit smoking and only 10% of smokers can do it.

The urge of smoking NEVER goes away, it becomes less urgent and if you do not see cigarettes you don't think about them. I can pick up the cigarette now and enjoy it, so I try to stay away from people and places with cigarettes.

And you will be stronger rider and you'll have more TIME if you quit.

Good luck.

also, you will need to break the habit, which takes about 6 months to do + you have to break a nicotine addiction. And nicotine is a natural anti-depressant + appetite suppressant. So it’s not easy to do.

also you will cough less, aka smokers cough = better riding.

Quote Originally Posted by VAHorseGurl View Post
    I admire your will power!

I wish I had such where sweets were concerned. Or I'd likely not be has heavy as I am, and therefore be a better more centered and balanced rider myself.

Good luck to you!
    Ha! I'm hoping I don't replace the cigs with peanut butter cups.

GO FOR IT!!!!!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

I quit smoking cold turkey. It wasnt that hard for me because I was a 2 cigger a day and I had only started 6months before that.

I noticed changes in food taste (dont need as much salt) and smell. You will be so much better off. I can breathe better now also.

Cigs are a fire danger also... so your horse is safer
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

It will be 5 years in May since I quit smoking. I never thought I could do it, but it can be done. Just think of the money you can spend elsewhere. I was able to afford another horse. Good luck

I quit New Years day. Cold Turkey. I surprisingly don`t miss it at all! And I feel sooooooo much better riding now too!

And the $$$ saved! Oh! Its wonderful, I made it a goal to save the $10 a day that I was spending on smokes for a new dressage bridle... Great motivation!

Good for you!! I quit smoking 6 years ago and while the first few weeks were tough, it was not too bad. Good luck!

MGP... maybe I should join you. I quit in 1996. Then started again in 2000. *sigh* Divorce. Re-married and happy. And now I want to quit again. Just need to get myself "set" on it.

Last time, I quit cold turkey. Tried the patches, made me sick. So I bought a huge bag of those "dum dum" lollipops. Worked like a charm.

You go girl! Congrats on your decision to be a better, healthier rider and person.

I quit many years ago, and here's a som thoughts that helped me get through it with minimal stress.

Train your subconscious, it will believe whatever you tell it. So tell it.

1. I hate cigarettes and smoking! Yuck
    2. Never say to yourself or anyone else that you're quitting. Say "I DON'T SMOKE!"

It also helped for me that I quit as soon as I suspected that I might be pregnant, but I wouldn't recommend getting preganant just to quit smoking!
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Okay, you have inspired me.

I have Nicorette in my car but have not been using it. I unfortunately enjoy my morning coffee and cigarette but HATE how I can't breathe, cough, don't have enough money, worry about smelling like smoke around non-smokers . . .

I am a wuss and don't think I can cold turkey it but I know I can definitely cut down until the day I can just stop. Last time I tried to stop cold I cried all day. Tried the patches, didn't help at all. The gum did as it made me sick to stomach so I didn't want to put anything in my mouth but then I switched jobs where my barn owner was a smoker. The BO just quit New Years. My turn now.

We need to keep this thread alive like the weight loss threads so we can give each other support.

Ohhhh, to get around a hunter course and not be huffing and puffing at the end . . . that would be great!
    '10 Dolce Latte G - Thoroughbred Mare (chestnut at that!)
    '12 Genever - KWPN/Thoroughbred Mare

MyGiantPony . . .how much do you smoke/day?

I'm embarassed to say I'm about a pack/day smoker.

Wow, I'd rather tell anyone my weight, personal secrets etc but to admit to the horse world that you're a smoker is mortifying.
    '10 Dolce Latte G - Thoroughbred Mare (chestnut at that!)
    '12 Genever - KWPN/Thoroughbred Mare

Quote Originally Posted by turningpointequine View Post
    MyGiantPony . . .how much do you smoke/day?

I'm embarassed to say I'm about a pack/day smoker.

Wow, I'd rather tell anyone my weight, personal secrets etc but to admit to the horse world that you're a smoker is mortifying.
    I'm down to about a half pack a day. Was doing a pack+ a day.

Funny...different perspective - in the horse world I know a LOT of smokers. In fact, I had a kid from Holland tell me "yup, I could tell you were a horse person when I saw you with coffee in one hand and a cig in the other".

And yup - that's when I'll iss it the most...with my coffee. Or with a night cap...but you can't smoke in restaurants on PA anymore...so that will no longer be an issue.