The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What to do with Mollie... FINAL :)

A pair and a spare sounds nice but I just can't work it out to keep everyone fit. And there are some dynamics at play, too. Mollie is jealous of Maya; Maya wants to hang out with Maggie and so Mollie and Maggie fuss at each other too.

Keeping CDE ponies in top condition is more work than I can handle along with everything else, plus Mollie has so much to teach either someone who wants to drive (she's safe yet very competitive) or someone with another pony who would like to try a pair that it seems a shame to just retire her (she has a SUPER work ethic and gets really sad when the others are worked and she isn't). Many of you have followed her adventures on this board so I'm hoping that someone can help me find right solution for Mollie.

Although she's 18 she has never been unsound and is very healthy. I would expect her to be going strong for many years to come. She is safe but still quite a bit of pony being very competitive. But she has never been ridden. Mollie is a CDE pony through and through and she's a great teacher for either human or equine.

I'd love to give her to someone who would treat her as the special pony she is but I also realize there are no guarantees. So what do I do? Let her just be a pasture pet and hope she adjusts and cheers up? Or do I take the chance and place her elsewhere?
    Last edited by Ashemont; Jan. 22, 2009 at 01:30 PM.
    Pat Belskie - ASHEMONT Farm

http://www.ashemont.com
    Ashemont2@gmail.com

I am a 4-H leader for our local driving group. We have more kids than we have ponies. We have couple of kids that are ready to move up to a little more pony and pass the gentle ones down to the next group. I am sure you can find a similar group in your part of the world. LF

It is a problem to keep her because I have to keep her separated from the other horses/ponies. Mollie will charge across the pasture to bite Maya. And she is now mad at Maggie, too, so there have been some kicking contests She also bites at Maggie when they're hitched together and it's most unpleasant trying to drive her with Maya. Mollie was happy when we had this year's WB foal. Mollie always wanted to be a mom but she has a physiological problem that prevents her from conceiving. She adopted our colt when he was weaned and she was a wonderful surrogate. However since we've sold him she's been most UNhappy.

Mollie didn't come from Bill: she's been passed around from various club members I've tried to find someone else in the club but no luck. Bill hasn't been able to help either.

It's just a sad situation right now. Mollie is such a good pony and she taught me so much that I feel guilty simply having her hang out. She truly wants a job and I know she'd be happiest teaching another person or pony.

LF - I sure wish we had such a group around here, but there's no junior driving club of any kind - and Mollie only drives; she doesn't ride. Too bad you're so far away

Ashemont2@gmail.com

Get her a donkey and keep her.
    As soon as you move her on, something will happen with one of the other girls and you will be out of commission for a while. Not wishing any problems on you but that is why folks have a pair and a spare. You know horses and although ponies are hardier, something will happen to one at some point.

Well, if you do find the right person, a free lease can work out really well. That's what we've done with our pony Coco--we competed him for a few years, both CDE and pleasure shows, and then got Merlin. Once Merlin was going, it was too difficult to keep 2 ponies going and fit, so we've free leased him since then. He's one of those ponies that needs a job and he's too nice to sit around the farm doing nothing (and getting fat).

Reynard Ridge had him for a little over a year before going to China (Coco starred as the "Wee Spotted Pony" in the Further Adventures of the $700 Pony) and he's now living the high life with a family that splits their time between Michigan and Florida. We love getting pictures of him enjoying getting tons of love and attention.

We like free leasing because it always gives us the option of getting him out of a less than ideal situation if needed, we get to keep tabs on him instead of just selling him and not knowing where he ends up, and we can eventually retire him to our farm.

Good luck!
    Kelly Soldavin Harvest Moon Farm
    www.harvestmoonfarmpa.com

gtd - Mollie is already in a paddock/stall area by herself. She's not entirely thrilled about it but I just don't want to risk anyone getting hurt.... and I'm tired of mending blankets. I'm sure Bill will help place Mollie if he comes across the right situation but right now, getting his new 4-in-hand ready for competition in addition to lessons and training outside horses, he's got a full plate. All of Mollie's former owners are also keeping an eye out for the right home for her

KellyS - A free lease! Now that sounds like the kind of situation that would work. I'm not interested in getting any money for Mollie - I just want to see her happy. And she is happiest when she has a regular job. She's a real workaholic! I'll try an ad on CD-L and see if I can connect with the right person. Thanks!

Ashemont2@gmail.com

Default Mollie has a new home!

She's going to be a leader in Sterling's new Hackney team (which includes Sammi's old pony Pita)! Thank you all for the many enquiries but I think this is the best situation for her. She'll be in regular work doing a job she knows well. I know Mollie will be happy and well-cared for

Ashemont2@gmail.com

Perfect! All good ponies need a home and a job. LF

She is unhappy now, but was recently a surrogate? How about giving her a job "raising" another weanling. If anyone around you has a single/lonely weanling too young to turn out with big guys, it would be a win-win situation. She gets a job, weanling gets turnout with protective adult until he's big enough to return to owner. She stops harassing the other ponies.

Pat, I am so glad to hear of the solution for Mollie! I hope Sterling is up to the challenge!! TWO demon workaholic ponies in one Team, YIKES!! And both of them like going fast! No telling what the other two animals are like, but I would bet they are fast and hot too, seeing how Sterling likes to go in CDEs.

This is going to be SOME four to watch going around the courses. We will have to keep our eyes on him this coming year.

I always said when we got too old to lift big harness onto horses, we would probably get some Hackney ponies. Little firecrackers, we are not having any geezer quality equines for our last driving years! We will be able to laugh all the time as we flash along! No good sense either!! Just hope our reflexes are up to the challenge of managing them, ponies are so VERY fast and helpful.

Real glad to hear of the solution for Mollie. Should be a GREAT time for all.

Quote Originally Posted by goodhors View Post
    Pat, I am so glad to hear of the solution for Mollie! I hope Sterling is up to the challenge!!
    Haha, no offense to SDBG whatsoever, he's one of the drivers I most admire, but yeah, I was thinking "From WBs to Hackaninnies - good luck with that!"

Best of luck to the new team, this should be fun to watch!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

So now Mollie is looking for a ride from NC to FL. She loads easily and hauls like a dream - no problem at all. If anyone is headed down that way and has room please let Sterling know.

I knew this was the right situation for her when all of her previous owners agreed She's got quite the fan club around here, having been in the area since she was 2 and came off the track for being too slow (???)! We'll all enjoy watching her in her new job

Ashemont2@gmail.com

Good for you and good for Mollie. I hope Sterling has been sharpening his skills with video games, I don't know anything else as fast as a team of hackney ponies. Yahoo and hang on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashemont View Post
    So now Mollie is looking for a ride from NC to FL. She loads easily and hauls like a dream - no problem at all. If anyone is headed down that way and has room please let Sterling know.

I knew this was the right situation for her when all of her previous owners agreed She's got quite the fan club around here, having been in the area since she was 2 and came off the track for being too slow (???)! We'll all enjoy watching her in her new job
    Contact Griffinsburg LLC transport and give them my name. They have hauled quite a few for me and do Florida runs a good bit, very reasonable price. Here is their website:

http://griffinsburgequine.com/

This is a good time of year to be shipping one to FL b/c half the equestrian universe is shipping down to WEF. I'm sure you can find an empty slot somewhere - you might call your local dressage and H/J barns.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Thanks for shipping suggestions but Sterling is handling that. If anyone is heading that way and has an empty space please contact him. I'm sure with the migration south he'll soon have a ride for her. And I'm sure she'll be happy to be heading south; it's supposed to be in the 20's tonight and the wind is wicked!

BTW here are some photos. That's two of the four in the first picture, with Pita closest to the camera. And Mollie and Maggie in the second one, with Mollie closest to the camera. Good match, eh?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sterling.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	23663   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mollie.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	189.1 KB 
ID:	23665  
    Last edited by Ashemont; Dec. 31, 2008 at 06:52 PM.

Ashemont2@gmail.com

Sterling's still looking for a ride for Mollie... and now has another pony coming from here, too - but not to be part of the team. Anyone have space for TWO ponies? Please let him know

Ashemont2@gmail.com

Sterling picked Mollie up this morning and she is headed south Since we had such a cold spell I had to blanket her so Sterling brought a lovely new blankie with him. She looked so cute in it! Loaded like a champ. She has another Hackney pony with her for company and should be appreciating warmer weather very soon I'm envious!!!!

Ashemont2@gmail.com