The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default FREE to good home! 2002 TB gelding - COMPANION - KY

Hi all....

I am seeking a new home for one of our geldings. He is a 2002 Chestnut Thoroughbred Gelding. He is unraced. I purchased him in Oct 2005 as an unbroke colt for an event prospect. He was gelded in November 2005 and started under saddle in December. He was doing great walk/trot/canter and even hoping over small logs on trail rides. In the Spring of 2006 he was schooling on the lunge line when he spooked, reared and flipped over. The vet was out within minutes and diagnosed him with swelling around the vertebrea in his neck, but no obvious fractures or other trauma. He was treated and stall rested for 6 weeks and then given a clean bill of health. He had another 3 months off before we started him back slowly. Unfortunatly, it seems that there might have been more trauma than originally suspected and he gets a bit sore when asked to do anything under saddle. At this time, Buckley has been on 24/7 turn out and is enjoying life. It has been more than a year since I have done anything with him as I have not had enough time to work with him. It is possible that he could be sound for light riding, however, I would mostly like to find him a companion home. He does best with MARES, as he seems to think that geldings are competition. He is a very sweet boy and would love to be the center of attention. I would love to keep him, but he really enjoys being fussed over, and I have not had the time to give him the attention that he deserves. He is on our farm in Paris, KY.

PM me!

Thanks in Advance!

Johanna
    Last edited by QHEventr; Jan. 22, 2009 at 09:36 PM.
    "Animals can sometimes take us to a place that we cannot reach ourself"

** Support the classic Three Day Event! Ride a Long Format **

Default for heaven's sake

if you have the room, why don't you just keep the poor boy? Not too many folks right now are looking for an extra mouth to feed. I've two here that aren't "earning their keep" but I'm not trying to give them away because they aren't useful. If he's in pain, put him down, if he isn't give him a good home.

Thanks for the concern, But I am not trying to find him a home because he is "not earning his keep"! I am trying, like everyone else on the giveaway forum, to do the best thing for this guy. I have no issues with keeping him, and would love to. However, I don't currently have the time to give him the attention that he deserves. He is a sweet gelding, that loves to be fussed over. I would like to find him a home where he can be the center of attention. I'm not sure what part of my post gave the impression that I find him useless, or don't care what happens to him. On the contrary....I want him to be spoiled and get more one on one attention. He is VERY comfortable. I stated that he is not riding sound, but is completely pasture sound. He is happy and living the good life on our farm.....but we don't have the time to fuss over him. I have given him a GREAT home for the last 4 years, and I will continue to do so until I can find him a home that has more time to devote to him.

I resent your comment that I am "getting rid of him because he's uselss", or that he's "not earning his keep". Please don't attack me, or anyone else on the "givaway forum" for trying to do what they feel is best for their horse(s).

I'm not sure why I even responded.. responses like yours shouldn't be given the time of day!

Johanna

No one is jumping down your throat but the sad truth is that even horses that are rideable and highly trained and have good breeding are finding their way to very sad endings.

It is very hard to find a "good home" for any horse - you just can't trust people to do right by your horse. I have an older horse - he is wonderful, well trained - I have had more than a few offers from people to buy him off of me, I lease him - but I will never sell him - I want to be in charge of what happens to him.

I hope you can find someone you know to take your horse that you can trust. Maybe you could find a horse crazy teenager to come fuss with him??

I'm not trying to argue with anyone over this. I am simply trying to find a great home for a wonderful horse. Just like everyone else on this forum. This forum is here to help anyone needing to find another home for a horse, dog, cat, etc. This is all I'm trying to do. I am aware that it may take awhile, and that he may be with me forever. That is fine. I just feel that he would be happier with more attention than I can give him right now and that he would make a great addition to someone looking for a companion for a horse of theirs. If people run around picking on those of us that are trying to rehome a horse for whatever reason, this forum wont be a safe place for people to post horses that truely NEED to find a home (for personal, financial reasons, etc).

OK, back to your regularly scheduled program....

Anyone looking for a lovely, sweet gelding to keep their mare company?

Johanna