The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Jockeys - new reality show - Animal Planet

Saw this advertised - "Jockeys" - a new reality show on Animal Planet starting February 6th.

Now I have to check with my provider and see if I can get it and see if it is watchable.

Sorry if I already missed the discussion, but did anyone else watch this? I couldn't believe how beautiful the horses looked. I guess I am used to browsing the rescue sites where they aren't all glammed up for the track.

Around here, it is re-airing this coming Friday. I think either 8 or 9 PM.

I liked it a lot. I will continue to watch it. I found it very interesting. So far, the show really does not too involved w/the horses much. It really revolves around the Jockeys.

This week it looks like they are introducing some more jockeys.

What night is it on? I keep meaning to watch it but forgetting - maybe I can send myself a reminder.

Edit: Never mind; I see that it's Friday at 9 - a night when I'm actually home!

It is on every Friday, but I think they re-air them many different times during the week.

Saw commercial featuring 3 or 4 breakdowns on the track. I don't need to watch that.

I wasn't planning on watching it, but there were no l&o, csi, ncis on. It was actually pretty good. I'll watch it again. I did not enjoy seeing the horses crash and burn in the dirt.

If I remember correctly, in two episodes that ran, there was only one wreck. The horse was fine, but the jockey broke his collarbone.

I am sure more wrecks will be shown, since they do happen, but the show was pretty interesting.

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

In case you guys missed it there is a very lively discussion about this series going on at the Racing forum right on this very board: http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...d.php?t=181092 .

Every Friday there is a new episode (two actually, back to back)--it's on at 9PM and 11PM. I think it's rebroadcast on Saturday at some point. Check Animal Planet's schedule which is online....

The two girls who are on there are an embarrassment to women! One seems to be looking for a sugar daddy and the other one needs an attitude adjustment....
    "Good gardening is very simple, really. You just have to learn to think like a plant." ~Barbara Damrosch~

I enjoyed it. But then again, I can't wait for the new season of America's Next Top Model in 2 weeks. Not sure what that says about me...

The whole show fails for me. Way too much time spent "re-capping" what just happened before the commercial break. Scant little time spent on what jockeys actually do. I want to know how they interact with the horses, trainers, owners and how they orchestrate their JOBS. Not as interested in their personal lives or how big their closet is.
    I would enjoy more "saddle cam" to give me an idea of what it feels like to ride one of those galloping torpedos in a cluster. Hearing the jockey's opinions would be interesting too.

Reality shows just spend too much time showing the most sensational footage over and over set to grinding rock music leaving less than 10 minutes to show any real substance.

The trailers were enough to destroy my interest. Besides, NASCAR's just getting cranked up! And NASCAR is real, not "reality"!
    Last edited by Frank B; Feb. 11, 2009 at 01:27 PM.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

If you're disappointed with this show I would suggest firing off a letter or an email about it to the Animal Planet people or the folks who produced it. I, too, think they are missing out on some interesting "stuff" about being a jockey and a rider--of course, there is still more to come.... Maybe some of our questions will be answered....
    "Good gardening is very simple, really. You just have to learn to think like a plant." ~Barbara Damrosch~

smitty2008 Guest

I watched the reality show "Jockeys" the other night. With out a doubt, the horses were beautiful to look at, but the show only skimmed the surface of racing. My opinion is that it glamourized the sport and did not truthfully reflect the dark side of racing. Of course, it probably won't take an honest look into what is done to the horses that aren't big stakes winners or the lives of the jockeys, grooms and other individuals who work at the track. However, I am glad to see a show featuring horses being aired.

Is it available online anywhere?

The place where I'm staying this winter does not get that channel.

Animal Planet does that with a lot of its shows -- taking too long to summarize what happened before the commercial break. It's not just in this one. All of their Animal Cops shows are like that, too.

Plus, they're promoting this show as exciting with danger, so that's why they showed a couple of spills in one thirty second promo. After all, the show's tagline is "Win or Die Trying."

However, I believe they misread their potential audience. Horse people will shy away because of the footage of the spills, even if those are the only two in the entire series and the horse's weren't seriously injured.

I think part of the problem is the "reality" show format. Instead of winning a record contract, like on Idol, the jockeys are basically competing to get to the Breeders Cup. So, it's more of a competition show than a documentary.

Still, despite all the things that annoy me about the show, I'll be watching again Friday night.

In a feeble effort to conserve, DH cut back on our programming and we no longer get AP. Glad to know it's not worth the drive to a friend's I would have to make to see it. I'll wait and watch it on Hulu.
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

Take a second chance on the show - tonight is the next episode. Hopefully they've run out of the excessive use of footage with horses going down.

As cited by ESPN's Jeremy Plonk

3. "Jockeys" debuted on Animal Planet last week and managed to show 26 incidents of horses going down, running loose in the stable area or flailing in the starting gate amongst its first 60 minutes. For the record, the entire Oak Tree meeting (at which the series was filmed) had a grand total of just two horses go down on the track from 1,865 starters. Thanks, TV peeps, for fictionally fanning a negative overtone for a sport that doesn't need your help.
    That's an injury rate per start of 0.001072386 [or 0.107%]

I checked when it will air and it seems that a repeat of the first show will be one hour before the new show today.
    Our time, CST, it will be at 7pm and the new one right after that, at 8pm.

Now, you also check, it may be different where you are.