The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Bombproof Temperaments

I know every foal/horse has a mother and vise versa, but if you have a bombproof riding horse or youngster, what is its pedigree? I know the R line is supposed to be ammy friendly and sane, but what do you guys have out there that you feel completely safe on?

Well she is a 2008 foal but is the calmest I have ever seen in 30 years of breeding. She is by Quaterback and out of a Contucci mare. I love her and wish I hadn't sold her!! But she gets to live with me until April when she takes her long trailer ride across country.
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

My colt (now gelded), Emerald Impressions (aka Preston)!

I tell everyone - if you can find something that scares him I'll pay you - he is totally unflappable and NOTHING rattles him. The first time someone went to get on him they took too long for his liking so he cocked a hip and fell asleep (literally). He LOVES to travel and see new things - NOTHING on the road bothers him (and we were wrapped up in a BAD wreck outside Atlanta one time with firetrucks, ambulances, life flight, cops etc and even a train on the overpass directly over us and he thought it was great fun and was fascinated). He goes on trails, has seen all kinds of things and has never spooked at anything. He is the type that will go TOWARD something rather than away from it. 100% trustworthy - even after a week or so under saddle I would have trusted a kid on him (and he was not gelded then).

His pedigree: http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/emerald+impressions

I think a lot of the rideablity comes from the sire, Impressionist. But the downright bravery comes from his dam - Encore (cory). Cory has had two other foals now (different stallion) and all 3 of her babies have the same bold/inquisitive nature.
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

Ironman babies are incredibly bomb proof. I have never seen Ironman spook either. I think Ironrule's first walk around the ring loose undersaddle was a windy, rainy night with one corner of the ring darker because the lights didn't work. He could've cared less. He's also been in the ring under saddle while other lessons were going on and one day a girl fell off of the horse she was riding and he went about his business like "lah dee dah". My horse goes out with an Ironman filly and if he's having "a day" he'll freak out and spook and run around like a moron and she'll stand there staring at him like "ok I don't get it, what's so scary." I love those babies (hence why they're incredibly amateur friendly)!!! (I can't wait until I can save up enough to get me one of my own, especially our latest Inca).
    Noteworthy: worthy of notice or attention; notable; remarkable. —Synonyms: distinguished, outstanding, significant. AKA Ike (aka Hurricane Mike).

Maybe it was something in the water up here, but all 3 of the fillies we had this year have been amazingly calm. Nothing seems to phase them and they have been learning things so fast, its almost eerie.

All 3 have different bloodlines. 1 is a TB/Friesian cross. 1 is a Warmblood/Mustang cross. 1 is Knabstrupper out of an Arab mare.

Honestly, I don't know that bloodline has anything to do with it in all cases. I understand why the Knab filly is settled and easy, but frankly, the TB/Friesian should have been a nightmare, but she's not. The Warmblood/Mustang cross filly could have gone either way, but all 3 of the girls have been dreams to deal with from handling, halter/lead breaking, farrier, loading and "basic training".

I think the funniest thing was our Warmblood/Mustang cross filly when she was being introduced to her first tarp. None of the 3 of them shied away from the tarp, but when Layla approached she nosed the tarp, then she pawed at it a couple times and looked at it like she was trying to decide what it was. A breeze came up and made the tarp lift off the ground and her response was hilarious. Her head came up in shock and then she snorted and jumped on the tarp like her life depended on holding it down on the ground. She was bunny hopping up and down on it a few times and when it was no longer "alive", she sniffed it, snorted and trotted off of it without looking back.

Gotta love the kids.

My 5 year old by Cunningham out of a John Alden (TB) mare. My trainer says he's the most unflappable horse he's ever seen. I've gotten on him with a loose girth so the saddle swung under his belly, landed on his neck after he popped a fence, gotten him tangled in vines during a trail ride when he was 4--- nothing bothers him. He just stands there or continues on (as when I found myself riding his neck ) until asked to do something different. Truly amazing-- and, believe it or not, he's smart and playful as all get out, too.

Default Karandasj

I sold a beautiful gelding by Karnadasj, out of a Wolfgang mare that has a fantastic quiet temperament, and is very easy going.

He recently got second at the Royal in the Lt. Governor's Cup, and he did this after not been ridden for 2 weeks except the day before the class. Nothing fazes him, especially new situations. He was very easy to back, and I understand he is also the love of his new barn.....

Donnerhall! he bred 1000"s so I am sure there are exceptions, but usually calm and very workmanlike! my Donnerhall mare had not been sat on in 10 years and I got on her and she didn't bat an eye! same with my Don Primero mare. ALL of their offspring has been the same.
    Linda Woltz
    www.walnut-farm.com
    standing Benidetto (Belissimo M/SPS COrdoba)

Quote Originally Posted by airbourne1 View Post
    I sold a beautiful gelding by Karnadasj, out of a Wolfgang mare that has a fantastic quiet temperament, and is very easy going.
    Would love to hear more about your horse, finding info on Karandasj has not been easy! He looks like a very nice stallion.

We have 6 by Beaulieu`s Coolman, and every one is sane and steady and smart. Really good horses.

Formula One is another. I started jumping him a little 3 years ago when he was 3. If he were a gelding, I`d ride him bareback with a halter and leadrope, and when I was his age, Harry Truman was president, so he better be easy!

Tracy, you have a PM!

I have a 20 year old Trakehner mare by Peron who spent her life as a chidlren's hunter/jumper/dressage horse. In the Jumper ring she was very competiive if you had the guts to ask her to go for it. If you did not, she was happy to lope around the hunter ring, and was a push button horse. Equally unflappable on trails or anything you asked of her.
    Her only vice was if you asked her for a flying change, you would get a swish of the tail and one ear pinned, as she KNEW when she should change, and how dare you ask her to do it.
    I still get coaches in the area asking to borrow her for a few weeks as their student had a fall, etc. and they need to build their confidence once again.
    I can put 3 kids on her back, turn her loose in a halter, and never worry. Same thing if you have 5 little kids, all standing on boxes groomimg her, she is in heaven.
    She is also extremely maternal, having raised 6 foals, only two being her own.
    That's one mare I will never be able to replace.
    Dr. Baird's law:
    In a voluntary organization, the amount of criticism one receives is directly proportional to the amount of work done and it emanates from those who do the very least.

I am going to have to agree with Walnut Farm, Donnerhall (and his sons) throw some very sensible horses! I have had both Donnerschlag and Davignon mares, absolutely bombproof and a wee bit stubborn

My guy is bombproof.... I do ride him bareback with a halter and lead rope and with mares on the other side of the fence. Kids can ride and handle him and I haven't found anything that phases him. You could literally shoot a gun off his back.

I have a filly by him that's 3 months old and she is the same way. It's almost a pain because I like "god" to get the youngsters when they are doing something wrong if possible (ie throwing a leg wrap at them if they are pawing, chewing etc...) She doesn't even bat an eye. She was carrying aroung a tarp the other day it was flapping in the wind behind her making all kinds of noise and she didn't care.
    There is no secret so close as that between a rider and his horse-Robert Smith Surtees
    Breeding TBs, Connemaras and TB/Conn crosses for eventing
    www.twistoffateeventing.com

The stallion I had (Wild By Design) was pretty much bombproof once he had gotten off the farm all of about 5 times. His kids have all been that way except for one and her mother was a twit so she got momma's side there. I have 2 Waldaire babies this year. One is "average" in flappability (not at all a nervous horse but the normal scary things do scare her) and The Other One who is fearless and gets into all kinds of trouble because of it...she goes over, under and through fences on a regular basis....goes exploring a jumps back in her pasture.

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

G-line hanoverians that go back to Grundstein and Grande.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Quote Originally Posted by Baroque-n-Dreams View Post

I think the funniest thing was our Warmblood/Mustang cross filly when she was being introduced to her first tarp. None of the 3 of them shied away from the tarp, but when Layla approached she nosed the tarp, then she pawed at it a couple times and looked at it like she was trying to decide what it was. A breeze came up and made the tarp lift off the ground and her response was hilarious. Her head came up in shock and then she snorted and jumped on the tarp like her life depended on holding it down on the ground. She was bunny hopping up and down on it a few times and when it was no longer "alive", she sniffed it, snorted and trotted off of it without looking back.

Gotta love the kids.
    I had a tarp blow in my filly pasture one day off our shavings pile and I found all of the baby girls...even my supposedly skittish ones, standing in the middle of this flapping tarp...on top of it. Most were pawing at it or pulling on it. It was hysterical. I wish I could have got a picture!

I've found my Col. Spanish babies are often more curious than fearful of new stuff. When we took some babies to the Equine Affaire last year, they were fascinated by the gutter covers and kept looking in the holes and pawing at the grates!

I don't know how many utterly bombproof horses I've ever met in my life...very few...but some of the calmest sanest horses have been the Colonial Spanish. The only downside to the breed, in general, is that I get outsmarted more than I'd like.

I was just sharing with my husband today about our Sir Sinclair filly. She is now coming 3 years of age come Spring. She is pretty much un-fazed by nearly everything. Today I entered the paddock with the Kawasaki Mule (utility vehicle) and inadvertently slammed the paddock gate into the paddock shelter while this filly was eating her lunch inside the shelter. Most horses would have bolted from the area from the concussion and noise, but this filly didn't budge and continued eating her lunch without concern. I have tested her with the open umbrella in the arena and she just marched up to it to sniff and proceeded to mouth and drag it all over. Very sensible.

Though I think that sirelines certainly have something to say...and I've been able to influence the temperament of one mare I have through the sireline...with the other mare...

It matters not who she is bred to. I often joke that I could breed Lesley (Lessing/Banter/AkzentI) to a fire-breathing dragon and get a volunteer. They are ALL kind, easy-going and very precocious. THe literal definition of bombproof.

I also believe this is nature, not nuture. THey are, who they are, because they were hard-wired that way.
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

my stallion Pacific is totally bombproof. I think it is the Enrico Caruso bloodline that produced it with him. Although his 1/2 siblings from the same sire are all very sane and quiet too, but he is exceptionally so.

Here is his pedigree. http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/pacific24