The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rebel Z and Robin Z

What are the differences between these two stallions? How is the offsprings' temperament, conformation, and jumping ability of each of these boys?

I know Robin II Z well. I have bred two by him. They are not typical given their prepotent Anglo mother, but perhaps that tells a story in itself.

Robin is an extremely handsome horse and his products do tend to reflect this. His head is very expressive, some obvious throwbacks to his Ramzes heritage being a slight dish in his face and those ears that curl in at the top (apologies to Arabian breeders, I am sure there is a better description!).

He tends to pass on a good back and good bone. Being hyper-critical I would say that a mare put to him should have good movement and front leg action over a fence.

His best product to date is Utopia van de Donkhoeve http://www.sporthorse-data.com/d?i=10499126. I took these photos of her at Hickstead last year.

Eric Lecler at Haras du Reverdy (where Robin stands) has said to me that he believes Playfull du Reverdy (Robin x Javotte Maziere (Come On)) to be one of the best he has bred.

I believe that Robin may be offered this year in France from approved AI centres on a live foal basis, with no payment until the foal is on the ground. A clever approach, given the economic climate.

Forgot to say, temperaments are usually good and his products compliant and willing.

RnT Breeding Guest

Well I don't know if its Robin I or Robin II you are asking for, they are full brothers but I only know of Robin I.

He died just a couple of month ago but still covered mares in the season of 2008, 25 years old.
    He competed himself on international level with Peter Eriksson and has won a lot of GP and competed in several championships.
    His most famous offspring's are Butterfly Flip, winner of World Cup, placed in the finale etc. and Mynta, 4th place in the World Championships in Jerez I think it was.

Robin is a BIG stallion, maybe not the highest one but he is a really tank truck in his formation. He often leaves this on to his offspring's as well, they often have a very nice personality and jumps like h*ll but are mostly not the best looking horses and not the best movers.
    The best offspring's I´ll seen live often has a TB dam or a dam with a lot of TB.

Quote Originally Posted by RnT Breeding View Post
    Well I don't know if its Robin I or Robin II you are asking for, they are full brothers but I only know of Robin I.

He died just a couple of month ago but still covered mares in the season of 2008, 25 years old.
    He competed himself on international level with Peter Eriksson and has won a lot of GP and competed in several championships.
    His most famous offspring's are Butterfly Flip, winner of World Cup, placed in the finale etc. and Mynta, 4th place in the World Championships in Jerez I think it was.

Robin is a BIG stallion, maybe not the highest one but he is a really tank truck in his formation. He often leaves this on to his offspring's as well, they often have a very nice personality and jumps like h*ll but are mostly not the best looking horses and not the best movers.
    The best offspring's I´ll seen live often has a TB dam or a dam with a lot of TB.
    I have to ask you where you find these supposedely succesful offspring by Robin Z I out of TB dams? Butterfly Flip is one of them and the not so famous Oliver is another. Where can anyone find the rest of these horses?

Robin des Bois who competed eventing has some TB blood at his dams side so does showjumper Roma H. Otherwise the TB - Robin Z I success seems to be a little bit of a myth and an urban legend.

About Robin Z I himself he for certain was a remarkable horse, not the best looking one but for certain one of the most talented ones. He could do things that belongs to the highest level of dressage and his pilot always showed him off with a smile.

He was a friendly horse and some of his offspring are a bit hotblooded. The day he passed away last year was a really traumatic day for the staff at the National Stud of Sweden.
    Last edited by equestrianism; Jan. 24, 2009 at 07:43 AM. Reason: bad grammar and spelling
    In riding a horse we borrow freedom!

Photography by. Eventing Photo and my fun farm at YouTube

Rebel I Z is the fullbrother of international top class jumper Ratina Z. Ratina Z herself is the dam of four approved stallions. Her studbook Z approved son Rex Z is by her fullbrother Rebel I Z and Rex Z himself is an international showjumper and have sired a handfull international jumpers.

In comparisson between Robin Z and Rebel I Z mysef would go for the bloddlines of Rebel I Z even though they are so similar.

Two full siblings were mated and produced an approved stallion? Really? And he's an international show jumper?

Any links to stories or photos about him?

Quote Originally Posted by Oakstable View Post
    Two full siblings were mated and produced an approved stallion? Really? And he's an international show jumper?

Any links to stories or photos about him?
    Yes they did put them together and yes he's been succesful in international showjumping. Mr Melchior has always been very proactive in finding out new ways in looking in to breeding and Rex Z is a result of this.

You can read more about him here http://davenportstud.za.net/?p=39 and see his son Roble Z who for one competed in the Olympic Games in Athens here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ8bZ...eature=related

In all impressive and magnificant horses.

Has he done this with other full siblings?

Has this been done in the TB industry?

Quote Originally Posted by Oakstable View Post
    Has he done this with other full siblings?

Has this been done in the TB industry?
    I believe they've tried this on others as well but not as succesful as this one. I'm embarresed to say I don't know anything about TB's being tried out this way but there are a number of father - daughter combos in the trotting industry that have turned out quite nice.

Who has been a better producer, Rebel I, II, or III for big jumpers?

Quote Originally Posted by HorsesforFun View Post
    Who has been a better producer, Rebel I, II, or III for big jumpers?
    I go for Rebel Z I but I believe he alos outrun his brother when it comes to the number of offspring.

If I were looking for those bloodlines, I would personally go for Radjah Z. He is standing in Saskatchewan, Canada -- came over from the Flyinge Stud with Beach Boy several years ago. I have a couple offspring that I just adore, great personalities, good bone, good conformation and an outstanding jump. He really stamps his offspring, I can generally pick them out of a group. Radjah has quite a few talented offspring including some who have reached the olympics and a several approved sons. Radjah himself had a good jumping career in his earlier years. Anyhow...food for thought.
    Proud Momma:

Imax - Fresstyle x Juventus x Rubinstein
    2014 - Sister to IMAX (hopefully)

I've posted about Rex Z and how the sister and brother were bred together on multiple occasions on this forum. Rex was fairly successful.

RnT Breeding Guest

Quote Originally Posted by equestrianism View Post
    I have to ask you where you find these supposedely succesful offspring by Robin Z I out of TB dams? Butterfly Flip is one of them and the not so famous Oliver is another. Where can anyone find the rest of these horses?

Robin des Bois who competed eventing has some TB blood at his dams side so does showjumper Roma H. Otherwise the TB - Robin Z I success seems to be a little bit of a myth and an urban legend.

About Robin Z I himself he for certain was a remarkable horse, not the best looking one but for certain one of the most talented ones. He could do things that belongs to the highest level of dressage and his pilot always showed him off with a smile.

He was a friendly horse and some of his offspring are a bit hotblooded. The day he passed away last year was a really traumatic day for the staff at the National Stud of Sweden.
    If you had read my post you would have seen that the best Robin Z offspring's I have seen is out of purebred TBs or mare with a high TB %. They are of a more modern type, good confirmation and not so much of the tank truck-model that the offspring's out of warm blood mares often has.