The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question spin off to washing blankets thread... washing at home

For all of you who wash blankets at home (although maybe those of you who sneak into laundromats with inattentive attendants are on the righ track!!)-- do you wash your blankets in a front-load washer, and if so, what kind of soap do you use? I just got a new washer-- it's an industrial-strength, beautiful powerful thing--quite lovely! But after reading the instructions and the installers' careful instructions to only use HE detergents, I'm wondering if one can use Rambo blanket wash (or something similar) without dire consequences? What about the MicroTek wash? I'm wondering if I'll end up with a bubbly soapy mess if I use any of the non-HE approved soaps. Any thoughts? Thanks!
    --Becky & the gang

"Anyone can slay a dragon, he told me, but try waking up every morning & loving the world all over again. That's what takes a real hero." from storypeople.com

You can use non HE soaps, just use less. I just washed a Rambo combo in my front loader. Once with soap, and then pull it out shake it out a bit and put it back in and do it again with out soap. You always need to be careful to get all the soap out. It looks brand new this morning...

For those of you who wash your turnout blankets, or stable blankets in your home washer, how do you disinfect your washer so you don't pass e-coli into your next few washes???
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

If you're really concerned about E. coli, run a 1/2 cup or so of chlorine bleach through an empty wash cycle.

Well if you really thought that that would be an issue, you could run the washer through a cycle with hot water and bleach.

I have been washing horse laundry in my washer for at least 30 years and never have had an issue so I don't bother.

That's good to know. Not that my washer is big enough for the big turnouts or stable blankets but maybe I can do the little ones the 08 foals have been wearing and growing out of so quickly. Guess sheets would fit too. Just have to make a day of it and definitely use the bleach and hot water wash after all is done. Thanks!!
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

I've got the Whirlpool Duet front load w/d - the fourth set! Every time we move the buyer always wants them as part of the purchase.

I've got a set in the house and a set in the barn - LOVE them. I can put even the biggest winter Rambos in - only use the Rambo wash. Sometimes the big ones need a second rinse, but they come out clean, smell nice.

I plan a blanket cleaning day and at the end I run a rinse cycle to clean the inside of the washer.

I wash my sheets and light blankets in my front loader - I add extra rinse and soak cycles to it. They come out great! The supper warm winter blankets do not have enough space to be washed, so they do not turn around there, so they came out still with stains. I give that one my horse laundry lady to wash.

i have a pickle of time removing the pee odor. The blankets come out some sort of flowery/clean pee smell. Still not clean though. Any thoughts?
    Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

I'd try a commercial pet urine odor remover/enzymatic cleanser to get rid of a persistent pee smell.

I hang mine over the fence and pressure wash them. Saves my washer from getting dinged up with buckles.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

You can buy a package of newborn sized baby socks at most stores for a couple bucks...they're tiny and stretchy and fit beautifully over blanket buckles.
    No banging noises while washing and not washer dings.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I sneak into the laundromat too . As far as soap goes, I use plain ol' Arm & Hammer... even with our HE washer at home. I won't wash anything but sheets, coolers and towels at home though. The mids & heavies won't fit into the washer, even though we've got a high capacity (spelling?) washer. Plus, it's pretty cheap to wash at the 'mat, only $5.00 or so for about 2-3 blankets, depending on fill.
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    You can buy a package of newborn sized baby socks at most stores for a couple bucks...they're tiny and stretchy and fit beautifully over blanket buckles.
    No banging noises while washing and not washer dings.
    My SO would about die if I brought home baby stuff!!! He freaked a little when I bought a pack of nappies for treating a hoof!!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I have a Maytag Neptune, no ringer, front load, works for huge filled blankets, kind size comforters and big dog beds.

I wash horse blankets inside out on "delicate" cycle, cold water, of course.

I use a cheap human shampoo, Tresemme at Walmart is good, get the "regular" not anything for curls or straightening, etc.

I dry on a line, spread across 2 lines, first like on the horse so the lining will drip, then turn over and dry that side,, on a screened in porch, no sun on the blanket. (Altho I guess that's not important since the sun is in the pasture when the blankets are being worn.)

Cloudy and Callie's blankets never got torn, never lost their waterproofing and did well without the expensive "blanket wash". Rambos, Weatherbeeta Takas and neck rugs, and Baker stable blankets.

My method does not get the loose hairs off of the taka linings, but it does get both the blankets and the hairs clean.

Oh to cover buckets, I use a lingerie bag, a few dollars at walmart, the kind you put hose and socks in to keep them from getting strangled in the wash. but the idea of children's socks sounds good. How do I secure them though? I'd better read that post again.

The Maytag Neptune will hold one size 78 Rambo heavy weight rug plus with attached neck rug, so it easily holds the Taka midweight blanket. For those of you with big horses, I would get the industrial size washer, which you can buy at a restaurant or laundermat supply store.

E coli? You mean if I drop a cracker on the stall floor I shouldn't eat it? No residue in the washer. And when you wash the next load, the soap and all will destroy bacteria. Or do what the other posters said to do. I'ave slept with dogs and cats all my life, so I may be immune to some germs.

My SO would about die if I brought home baby stuff!!! He freaked a little when I bought a pack of nappies for treating a hoof!!
    Might be worth it to see the look on his face then, mwuahahaha!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I wash at home with my Kenmore front load. I've used Tide, Ivory, and Nikwash(sp?), and the Nikwax reproof stuff. I can do a couple sheets at a time or one medium weight blanket (84" is as big as I've had to wash). I don't think I've ever worried about things like e-coli, but I have run a cycle with the washer empty to clean it out.

I love my front load washer and I haven't ever noticed any problems washing people clothes and beastie clothes in the same machine.
    Y'all ain't right!

Quote Originally Posted by talloaks View Post
    For those of you who wash your turnout blankets, or stable blankets in your home washer, how do you disinfect your washer so you don't pass e-coli into your next few washes???

Nah, I just tell hubby I'm all done and he can wash his clothes now....lol

Quote Originally Posted by bewarethechestnutmare View Post
    For all of you who wash blankets at home (although maybe those of you who sneak into laundromats with inattentive attendants are on the righ track!!)-- do you wash your blankets in a front-load washer, and if so, what kind of soap do you use? I just got a new washer-- it's an industrial-strength, beautiful powerful thing--quite lovely! But after reading the instructions and the installers' careful instructions to only use HE detergents, I'm wondering if one can use Rambo blanket wash (or something similar) without dire consequences? What about the MicroTek wash? I'm wondering if I'll end up with a bubbly soapy mess if I use any of the non-HE approved soaps. Any thoughts? Thanks!
    I've been washing horse blankets in our front loading washer for years...always have used Rambo wash or the Nikwax (sp?) with no trouble at all.

To the e coli questions...how can horse blankets possibly be any dirtier than diapers, dog pooped on items, etc? I've never given it a 2nd thought after washing horse stuff! I think I usually wash a load of saddle pads or dog bedding right after a horse item to soak up any hair left over in there!!

I think it depends on the waterproofing - I got a jug from Schenider's for their turnout blankets which will not damage the waterproofing.

But everything gets put in the washer (if it fits). That's why I bought the widest top loader they had.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues