The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How often do you wash your horses turnouts in the winter????

I am just wondering how people manage their horse's turnouts in the winter as far as keeping them clean. Do you wash them, or send them out to your blanket person once a month, or do you just have extras where you keep changing them every month until spring arrives?????
    I personally hate to take my turnouts to my blanket lady in the winter because she then dries them in the dryer and I think they loose they water proofness. I hate to have one a month for each horse to keep bundled up until spring too.
    What do you all do???
    This has been a colder than usual winter where I am in Virginia although today is to reach the 50s, how weird!! Difficult to dress these horses properly.
    What's the solution????
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

What ever chance I get. Mine have been wearing either sheets of blankets alot this winter and have just spent the last 4 days and nights in either or both. It is to be just down in the 40's this weekend, so I will have a chance to wash the heavies and probably sheets too, since the days will be warm enough not to need them.

During "mud season" about once a week. During the winter with 2 feet of snow on the ground they stay pretty darn clean

I use liners UNDER my warmer blankets and light turnout sheets OVER them. That way I can have 2 liners and 2 sheets and only one heavier blanket (although I have a few in different weights).

With this technique I can wash the liner and the sheet myself easily at home and hang to dry. I just swap the two sets (of liner and sheet) back and forth. The heavier blankets then usually don't have to get washed during the winter and just get done once at the end of the season. The liner gets his body dirt and the sheet gets the outside dirt while the heavy blanket stays clean.

Also I find that stable blankets are MUCH cheaper than turnout blankets, so by using stable blankets as the warmth layer I only have to pay more money for the turnout sheets to provide the waterproofing and ruggedness.
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

I have too many here to send them out to be done once a month. I have ruined many a blanket doing them myself (used to use the dryer) but I suck it up now and do it. My barn washer died so I have to sneak into the laundromat late at night and do them when the attendant is drunk and could care less (slipping him $10 helps too).

Most of the horses here have back ups. Those that don't get turned out with stable blankets under their turnout sheets when blankets are being washed. I try and do them every 4-5 weeks. Some horse are very clean and just get the inside vacuumed out and the outside hosed off weekly, and washed every few weeks. Those that like to play in the mud get washed frequently.

I just did all of the sheets during the cold snap. Tonight I will try and get the blankets done as it will be warm for a few days and they can dry. My farm looks like the white trash barn after laundry day as I spread them over every available jump to dry. Tomorrow, anyone that wants to jump will be calling "heads up on the green Rambo" or "watch the plaid Rhino"!
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    I use liners UNDER my warmer blankets and light turnout sheets OVER them. That way I can have 2 liners and 2 sheets and only one heavier blanket (although I have a few in different weights).

With this technique I can wash the liner and the sheet myself easily at home and hang to dry. I just swap the two sets (of liner and sheet) back and forth. The heavier blankets then usually don't have to get washed during the winter and just get done once at the end of the season. The liner gets his body dirt and the sheet gets the outside dirt while the heavy blanket stays clean.

Also I find that stable blankets are MUCH cheaper than turnout blankets, so by using stable blankets as the warmth layer I only have to pay more money for the turnout sheets to provide the waterproofing and ruggedness.
    This is also what I do.

..er once usually - at the end of the winter. But I don't have any mud and they are not turned out in a big field unless it is frozen enough. I am a bit apologetic whe I take them in, though.

I'm also guilty of washing them once a year. I do tend to blanket for water and windproof, not fill. This year however has been super cold, so both boys are in fuzzy layers. I can't wait to go back to one slick layer!
    Do not take anything to heart. Do not hanker after signs of progress. Founder of the Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Unless they manage to get them incredibly stanky or filthy - think sudden thaw=mud=rolllllling - they get washed at the end of the season.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I don't wash mine during the season unless they get REALLY nasty, like muddy and gross.
    Then I wash them and rewaterproof them. Otherwise I only do it at the end of the season and pack them away.
    Today it was nice so I hung them all inside out over the fence for the day to air out.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

As often as they get dirty, inside and out.

My method, which has preserved waterproofing, is to buy, when you replace your washer, a maytag neptune or similar washer without the ringer. This allows you to wash without pulling and tugging at the blanket.
    I use a cheap human shampoo rather than an espensive blanket washing solution. Tresemme is what I've been using for years as it is cheap at Wal-mart.
    Cloudy and Calliie's blankets stayed waterproof and tear free for years using this method.

Also if you do get tears from the barn or pasture, go to wal-mart and get the iron on fabric patches, pull the blanket as close together as posible over the tear, and follow the directions for patching, including cleaning the blanket first, and using the iron to heat the area on the blanket upon which you will be applying the patch.

The patches I put on the BO's blankets last fall are still fine and holding up well. Just also make sure you iron the edges of the patch well also.

Everyone in my barn just does them once a year.

You guys are making me feel positively skanky! I vow never to put any Rambo (‘sept the stable blankie) into a washing machine!!
    *HORROR*

The most I will do, is squirt them with a hose on a nice hot summer day and call it quits.
    Last edited by Creaghgal; Jan. 23, 2009 at 06:34 PM.
    "Dressage" is just a fancy word for flatwork

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    As often as they get dirty, inside and out.

My method, which has preserved waterproofing, is to buy, when you replace your washer, a maytag neptune or similar washer without the ringer. This allows you to wash without pulling and tugging at the blanket.
    I use a cheap human shampoo rather than an espensive blanket washing solution. Tresemme is what I've been using for years as it is cheap at Wal-mart.
    Cloudy and Calliie's blankets stayed waterproof and tear free for years using this method.

Also if you do get tears from the barn or pasture, go to wal-mart and get the iron on fabric patches, pull the blanket as close together as posible over the tear, and follow the directions for patching, including cleaning the blanket first, and using the iron to heat the area on the blanket upon which you will be applying the patch.

The patches I put on the BO's blankets last fall are still fine and holding up well. Just also make sure you iron the edges of the patch well also.

Great info Cloudyandcallie! some questions though, is the washer you are refering to use a front load??? Also using human shampoo, don't you get too many suds in your washer so they are coming out everywhere??? Are you able to rinse the shampoo out of the blankets????

Hubby won't let me use our washer and dryer for barn or horse wash, but don't have a washer just for the barn, sure wish I did, but then we'd have to worry about freezing pipes etc. Virginia isn't that warm some winters and this happens to be one. No snow, but sure is cold.
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

Never. I have multiple blankets for both of mine so i rotate them based on the weather on a particular day. I wash all of them in the spring but never during winter. We don't have really any mud - just a couple feet of snow on the ground that never seems to go away so they don't get that dirty. No way to dry them where I am unless they are put in a dryer and I won't do that - can easily ruin them.
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

I try, as much as possible, to wash just once a year. The horses have multiples of each, in case something gets really wet or filthy. I will brush off or scrub particular spots with a sponge during the season. I found that when I had blankets washed multiple times per year, they lost their weatherproofing more quickly-- even when washed according to the manufacturer's directions.

I now do the cleaning/reproofing myself with Nikwax products made specifically for that purpose. But I send out blankets that need repairs to the blanket lady. I used to have her do the washing too, but it just got prohibitively expensive.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    I read this as TEAR (like crying) free, not tear (like no holes) free. Pretty funny... as I didn't know that blankets cried.

I do wash the blankets as needed - for sure at the end of the season before being stored away. Usually just twice a season, if that. The sheets will get washed more frequently. I use plain ol' Arm & Hammmer soap. No issues with the waterproofing not holding up. My boys aren't hard on their blankets, but they do typically get a tear or two each year. I always patch up the small ones myself... the larger (i.e. 4" or more) get sent to the tailors.
    Last edited by appychik; Jan. 23, 2009 at 07:03 PM.
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

My horses wear Gortex (HIB) so the blankets can be washed as often as I want with no loss of waterproofing. My horses are stabled with about 3-4 hours of turn out a day with total access to MUD. I wash mine every two weeks with a blanket services. No way, no how am I putting those blankets in my home washer. The frequent washing necessitates having 2-3 blankets for each horse in various weights for the constantly shifting temperatures around here.

I don't blanket, therefore, I don't ever wash them!! Easy as pie!

Once every week to 10 days...they lay down in their stalls and I don't like smelly blankets. I just remove them at turn-in time (4 pm) and replace them with stable blankets. Toss in washer one after the other, extra spin cycle to get as much water out as possible. Then they get laid out on racks in my furnace room in the basement...it's always about 85 degrees and dry as a bone in there. They dry completely overnight, I put them back on while they eat breakfast.
    Mine stay waterproof too...have one that's 6 years old and still looks like the day I bought it and is 100% waterproof. Love those Schieders blankets.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte