The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Karen and David O'Connor or Jimmy Wofford clinic?

I am thinking ahead a few months, but there is the (annual, I think?) four day Karen and David O'Connor clinic May 28-31 at Holly Hill as well as a Jimmy Wofford clinic May 31-June 1 at Pine Top. Both of those dates are right after Maydaze so I do not know about either yet, but I was just wondering which one you would choose and why?
    T3DE Pact

What a wonderful choice.
    I wish I had such riches available! You are very lucky.

I wish I could do a week's worth of riding with Jim Wofford. Of the two I think what Woff says sticks with me way more than any other clinician out on a cross country course or in the ring jumping at home.
    I enjoy Karen's insight into training horses, however.
    Proud & Permanent Student Of The Long Road
    Read me: EN (http://eventingnation.com/author/annemarch/) and HJU (http://horsejunkiesunited.com/author/holly-covey/)

Definitely Jimmy.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by lstevenson View Post
    Definitely Jimmy.
    2nd Jimmy, without a doubt.

JW

David & Karen...

The chance to do a 4 day intensive would be something to factor in!

Jimmy, no doubt about it.

Jimmy. no question.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Quote Originally Posted by KBG Eventer View Post
    I am thinking ahead a few months, but there is the (annual, I think?) four day Karen and David O'Connor clinic May 28-31 at Holly Hill as well as a Jimmy Wofford clinic May 31-June 1 at Pine Top. Both of those dates are right after Maydaze so I do not know about either yet, but I was just wondering which one you would choose and why?
    Who is holding the clinic at Pine Top in May? Where do I get the info for the clinic? Haven't seen it on the AREA III website. Neither Rasta nor me will be ready for the clinic, but I'll take him, audit and learn, and have a blast just being at Pine Top Farm with my horse!!!!
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Quote Originally Posted by RunForIt View Post
    Who is holding the clinic at Pine Top in May? Where do I get the info for the clinic? Haven't seen it on the AREA III website. Neither Rasta nor me will be ready for the clinic, but I'll take him, audit and learn, and have a blast just being at Pine Top Farm with my horse!!!!

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...Wofford+clinic
    T3DE Pact

Woff....he is a wonderful teacher...that is no to take anything away from David and Karen, but there is a reason they both rode with him in the early days.

Also, depending on how things are going for me and my horse the goal is to have done two Trainings by then. I still don't know about doing a back to back event and clinic, but I think he can probably handle it fine. That is also one reason why I am leaning towards the Jimmy Wofford clinic...he would get several days in between versus only four.

Any opinions on what group I should sign up for? The Karen and David clinic doesn't have a choice of groups on the entry form, but the Wofford clinic has two choices I am considering...Novice/Training or Training. If you have just moved up which one would you choose?
    T3DE Pact

Any opinions on what group I should sign up for? The Karen and David clinic doesn't have a choice of groups on the entry form, but the Wofford clinic has two choices I am considering...Novice/Training or Training. If you have just moved up which one would you choose?
    Definitely the easier group.

JW's clinics are about accuracy and technical details. If you haven't done a JW clinic before, I'd recommend challenging yourself by focusing on really understanding the exercises and doing them well, especially if you have a competition in the immediate future.

A good clinic will give you confidence. An iffy-to-scary clinic will erode your confidence for your upcoming HT. Don't worry about it being too easy, you'll have more than enough to think about between the lecture and the exercises.

Jimmy Wofford, in half a heartbeat.
    Click here before you buy.

Thanks! Hope to see you there!
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Where is Holly Hill??
    "Fifteen minutes of excellent work is better than an hour and a half of wandering aimlessly around." -Col. Bengt Ljundquist

JW absoulutely. Which isn't to say the O'Conners aren't wonderful.

I think David and Karen. I know everyone loves JW, and he is great if you are at prelim or above...but he doesn't enjoy teaching the lower levels nearly as much and so doesn't provide the same kind of feedback to lower levels if he isn't in the mood. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Karen, OTOH, is pretty well known as a go-to at any level. You might consider auditing JW's clinic at the higher levels but actually riding with Karen if you can manage it.

ETA: On the level, my rule of thumb is the level where you KNOW you will be comfortable, rather than a possible stretch. You will always learn something from people like this and it will be a much happier experience for all involved if you can do the exercises and learn from the advice given without having to struggle. The clinician, whomever you choose, and your fellow riders will thank you for it!
    Treat Jockey for Spellbound and Smidgeon

Personally...pick the clinic that works best timing wise for your horse. That would be JW.

I would personally pick JW anyway....but first look at what works for your horse.
    ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **