The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Linus: 2001-2009

I had a dressage lesson scheduled for today, and when I went to bring Linus in to get ready for the lesson, I could just tell that he was high as a kite. I put him on the lungeline in the indoor for a few minutes before I was going to put him on the trailer to go to my trainer's facility for the lesson. Well, Linus exploded like a Pro Tour Rodeo Bronc, lost his footing, and landed on his shoulder. It was immediately apparent that he was significantly injured. We now know that he fractured the shoulder.

The vet came out right away, but was unable to get readable films of the shoulder with his portable xray. He loaded Linus up with painkillers and we somehow got him, hopping on 3 legs, into a trailer to get to an equine hospital. The vet prepared me, saying that if the humorous was fractured, there would be no treatment option for that.

I had called my dressage instructor - Dotneko on this board - to tell her what happened and why I would be missing my lesson, and, God bless her, Dot canceled her afternoon lessons and drove over to my barn to see how she could help. She could help, alright...I was so distraught, Dot drove my trailer to the equine clinic which was an hour and a half a way. And Dot's husband dropped his afternoon plans to follow us there in his car, and then the 2 of them waited there with me for the vet's evaluation. I owe Dot and her husband a HUGE thank you for this!

So...the good news is, Linus fractured his shoulder in just about the only part of the shoulder that does NOT require immediate euthanization. The other good news is that Linus has such an easygoing temperament....it was imperative that he allow himself to be placed in a sling tonight, which he was very accommodating about. He will spend the night in the sling and will have surgery to attempt to repair the shoulder tomorrow.

The surgeon has given him odds of 60% to pull through this. I am emotionally a complete mess tonight. Any positive thoughts that can be sent our way will be gratefully accepted.
    Last edited by Lisa Cook; Jan. 25, 2009 at 04:12 PM.

Jingles, positive thoughts, hugs, prayers and everything else!

I hope he pulls through. The surgery and getting up is the hardest part, after that it gets easier.

Yipe. Praying for him.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Lisa, you've got good thoughts, jingles and Mount Washington coming your way from Mississippi.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Oh Lisa, I am so so so sorry. Bad boy. WHY o WHY are they so bad? Is he at Dr. Dreamboat's (alias Mike Davis) in Dover? If so, no worries, he can fix anything. Please keep us posted. Very best wishes from Saco.

Pol - he is at Dover, but a different vet will be performing the surgery. Hopefully they are all good over there! I have never used this facility before, but my vet was really recommending them so I was taking Linus wherever my vet thought best.

Thanks for all the good vibes!

Jingling for a complete recovery for Linus. What a scary thing for all involved.

Oh poor guy!! And poor you!!! Sending jingles and prayers your way!!!

Do keep us posted!!!

Hugs to you and Linus!!

Hi Lisa! I am soooo sorry to hear of your poor guy's injury! OUCH!

Is Dr. Kaneps doing the surgery? I love all the staff at Dover but have become very fond of Dr. Bartol & Dr. Kaneps.

Hang in there and keep us updated!
    Sarah in New Hampshire
    My Blog - Adventures in Eventing

Jingles for you and Linus, I really liked you guys at the Robert Dover clinic last year.

Oh jeez Lisa, jingling for you and Linus like MAD here in Vermont!

Dr. Dreamy is a great surgeon, but so are the other doctors. Don't worry, those guys know what they're doing. They fixed my Petey up good (course, he has since decided to come up with another injury, but THEY fixed the problem I brought him THERE for!)

Please keep us updated. Dot, you and hubby are saints for helping!
    \"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.\"--Pogo

Jingles for you and your pony.

We had a weanling filly (that was also orphaned) break her scapula, she lived in the laundry room for a while so she could be closely supervised and kept quiet. Hers was not bad enough to require surgery, but she recovered 100% and went on to be a winning event horse.

It took her a long time to understand why she had to live outside later!

Man I hate when they do that! You must be scared out of your mind. But hang in there.

If it makes you feel any better I have a 5 yo mare you had a complete fracture of the right carpus (elbow). She did it the day before Thanksgiving and had surgery to put an 8 screw plate in it the day after Thanksgiving. She compressed a nerve in her right hip during the surgery and paralyzed her quadriceps. So when she tried to get up in the recovery stall she could only stand on her two left legs. She would not accept a sling.

36 hours later, as we were discussing "the last option" the nerve spontaneously recovered and she could bear weight on the right hind. It's been a long road. In her attempts to stand she bent the plate and 3 of the screws. Not to mention the damage to all the layers of stitches. She is still on strict stall rest, but she had all four trimmed last week and her 30 day xrays were darn good. She will have another set next monday (2nd) and if all goes well will begin hand walking and tiny turnout. She has a very good shot at a complete and full recovery.

I really hope this will give you hope, even if things don't go perfectly. It doesn't always turn out, but sometimes it does - even when it looks really, really bad. Hang in there and keep us updated!

SCFarm
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com

I knew a horse who recovered from this kind of injury. She'd been tossed base-over-apex by a lightning strike a few feet away.

Her shoulder looked a little funky after but functioned fine. Acupuncture was a big part of her rehab for the next few years.

I hope surgery goes well. Your horse sounds like he has the right kind of temperament to pull through -- and that's so important.

I'm so sorry for what you're going through. Tons of jingles and positive thoughts from VA tonight. He is so gorgeous and Appy tough! You have a lot of fans Linus!
    Please don't try to be a voice of reason. It's way more fun to spin things out of control. #BecauseCOTH - showhorsegallery

you poor thing!!! Healing thoughts being sent your way. Keep us informed.

Oh Lisa, jingles to you and Linus. I will hope that he will pull through this with rare form and be back out there having fun with you as soon as he can.

Default Oh no!

Wishing him a good outcome!

Poor Linus! I ride with Debi Crowley and remember when she had him in training at her farm. He's a sweet boy. Tell him his old Alabama friends wish him well and are thinking of him!

Lisa, EVERYone at NEEMC is *fantastic*. You could not be in a better place. Plus, you can watch the surgery! I love that aspect. I watched Matty's stifle surgery-they set up the monitors so you can see the whole thing. They really bend over backwards to keep you informed, to feed your horse exactly what you want him fed, they spend all sorts of quality time with them, they feed treats AND the doctors are phenomenal!
    Thinking of you.....