The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thumbs down Eqyss Avocado Mist

I was so excited about this product because I really like their shampoo and the Micro-Tek product. I bought it, waited until my bottle of ShowSheen ran out and was thinking about how much better this was going to be for my horsies' tails (NO more silicone) and how beee-uuuu-tiful they were going to look/feel. I do NOT like it. Not only did it NOT detangle the hairs, they don't feel nice and soft like they did with my other regimen: Wash with Eqyss shampoo, then leave IN Suave coconut conditioner (yes, folks, leave it in...don't rinse). When dry, spray with ShowSheen and then brush. Now, that's a recipe for a gorgeous tail!!! Has anyone else tried it and been disappointed like me??....and it's SO expensive!

I don't care for it either. It seems to leave a sticky/non slippery residue.
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016

Ha - I was just about to log off and your post popped up so I had to answer . I tried it a few years ago and was not too impressed with it - I definitely didn't buy another bottle of it. It seemed to sort of be sticky on humid days and even when it wasn't humid, it didn't do much for my horses' hair or manes/tails. I switched to Healthy Hair Care and have loved that stuff ever since.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

I don't mind the product ONLY when it's applied when tail/mane is wet. Just for the detangling sake, but gotta have tail/mane wet and no conditioner left in. But I wouldn't recommend or go buy it again. I, too, prefer Healthy Hair Care Moisturizer. I mix mine with Laser Sheen-helps with detangling and keeping from attracting dust (which I find to happen with just HHCM.) I was disappointed too-love most of the Eqyss products.

but ya gotta love the smell!!

I hemmed and hawed before I finally decided to spend the $$ on it. I waited excitedly for it to arrive...and then just like the OP, very disappointed. Eww, it was none of the things it claimed.
    I'll stick with my 30/70 Show Sheen/Infusium mix.
    Founding Member of "I Kept 'Off Topic Day!' Open"

Quote Originally Posted by Dune View Post
    I was so excited about this product because I really like their shampoo and the Micro-Tek product. I bought it, waited until my bottle of ShowSheen ran out and was thinking about how much better this was going to be for my horsies' tails (NO more silicone) and how beee-uuuu-tiful they were going to look/feel. I do NOT like it. Not only did it NOT detangle the hairs, they don't feel nice and soft like they did with my other regimen: Wash with Eqyss shampoo, then leave IN Suave coconut conditioner (yes, folks, leave it in...don't rinse). When dry, spray with ShowSheen and then brush. Now, that's a recipe for a gorgeous tail!!! Has anyone else tried it and been disappointed like me??....and it's SO expensive!
    Never tried the other stuff, but now I'm gonna have to go get some of that conditioner!

Also dislike the Avocado Mist..

I prefer Santa Fe Spray Detangler

I also love the santa fe!

I have some and have not loved it. I didn't know about this mixing of show sheen and conditioners. I now have a palomino mare that has the most beeutiful tail ever. Very thick. But not so white I am going to wash it this week and then put in some infusium and show sheen...I think that sounds good.
    “If you are irritated by every rub, how will your mirror be polished?”
    ? Rumi

I bought some a while back. It did absolutely nothing as far as I could tell, but it sure smelled great! So now I use it as horse perfume!
    One of the lessons of history is that Nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say.
    - Will Durant

I tried it, and it worked about the same as a spray bottle of water.

I was hopeful because their Survivor detangler is quite good, but isn't an everyday thing. No dice. Oh, well - lesson learned.

I use Vetrolin Shine, which doesn't seem to dry as much as Show Sheen (and is cheaper!), but gets thick Arab tangles out. (And for those very bad hair days, I use the Survivor. )
    Proud member of the EDRF

I dislike it too! I won it in a parade. I think maybe because it was so crappy!!

Karen

Ps. Horse had some mane hair fall out around the time I used it. Coincidence I think not.
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

SO how much credence to you all give to the Show Sheen drying thing? How bad is it for the hair? Do most of you put it on once a week or so with no problems? I really like Cowboy Magic when I first use it but then it gets kind of sticky and attracts dirt. I am thinking with a white tail the only way to go is with a show sheen type product. Thoughts?
    ? Rumi

^^^IME with once a week use the show sheen is very drying. I used to work as a groom for a man who owned 40 or so horses he insisted we use it after the horses once a week washings. I saw lots of sun damage (dry hair is more susceptible), and lots of breakage. I also had the same problem with my mare who normally has a very nice tail. Over the years I got pretty much the same results with any product that contained silicone.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss-O View Post
    ^^^IME with once a week use the show sheen is very drying. I used to work as a groom for a man who owned 40 or so horses he insisted we use it after the horses once a week washings. I saw lots of sun damage (dry hair is more susceptible), and lots of breakage. I also had the same problem with my mare who normally has a very nice tail. Over the years I got pretty much the same results with any product that contained silicone.
    So what do you do?
    ? Rumi

I have never been a big fan of using Show Sheen on a regular basis although I will use it when prepping for a show. That is why I like the Healthy Hair Care - it doesn't dry the hair because of the lanolin in it. I actually don't mix it quite as strong as the directions say to do - I like it a little weaker.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Don't much like Show Sheen because it is drying to the hair and I hate the way it feels. I use Cowboy Magic detangler, which is probably the same as SS, but doesn't seem so plastic feeling.

I do love Avacado Mist for refreshing my horse's coats after the winter, after baths and anytime I want her coat feeling soft and clean smelling. It doesn't work as a detangler, and I've never used it as such, but it adds shine and a healthy looking glow to the haircoat.

And I love the smell, too!
    Form follows function, or does function follow form?

www.clearvisionequine.com

http://clearvisionequine.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gayla View Post
    So what do you do?
    I stopped using silicone products. Finding products for both human and horse hair can be hard if your concerned about the ingredients. The vast majority are no good. Recently I've been turned onto using coconut oil on hair as both a conditioner and a leave in detangler. It actually works wonders as long as you don't overdo it. If you do over do it the tail will appear greasy. Works good on human hair too. When it's muddy out or snowy/icy out I put the tail up in figure 8 knots to keep it out of the mud and ice. This helps prevent drying and damage.

Also like to note (forgot to say in my previous post) when I was using products on my hair that contain silicone my hair looked horrible and was terribly knotted almost all the time (from damage). I was constantly having to brush it and no matter how careful I was I was ripping hairs out and breaking them. Eventually I discovered the problem was the silicone, which unfortunately is in almost all drug store brands of shampoo.

Any detangling product made for ethnic hair works really well, the Pink line that they have at walmart is a huge favorite of mine...and so CHEAP and it smells LOVELY too!