The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

tara payne okon Guest

Default SWGA Therapeutic Riding Center

We are looking for a couple of quiet, sound, loving horses for our special needs riders. They must be very broke and not require excessive medical requirements such as adequan, bute, etc to be used. We take about 30 riders a year to the state Special Olympics show that happens to be in an indoor arena here so we need someone that is not afraid of the indoor arena also. We blow bubbles, throw balls, and just have a great time with our riders. We like our horses between 8 and 20 years of age. Geldings are preferred. 14.2 to 15.3 hands. If anyone out there is looking for a great home we need to retire some of our wonderful family members - one is 38 but he loves his job and looks like a 15 year old. Please PM me at stanokon@bellsouth.net You can make some kids really happy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where are you located.

Is there a web site?

What happens to the horse when you are done with them/or they don't work out?

I'm guessing that this is it http://www.hunnypotstable.com/swgtrc_index.html

If you google SWGA Therapeutic Riding Center you get loads of hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Lora View Post
    Where are you located.

Is there a web site?

What happens to the horse when you are done with them/or they don't work out?

I have heard you sell the horses when your done with them/or they don't work out - is this true - were do you sell them? People do have a right to know what will become of their horse.

Do you require that people give/donate their horses to you, or would you consider a free lease type situation?

It might be better to contact the OP via telephone. SWGA Therapeutic Equestrian Center is located at Hunny Pot Stables in Leesburg, GA.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

ummm - does anyone else find it concerning the person that started this subject has not answered any questions.

No, because it is someone with only 8 posts, which tells me it's not someone who logs on often at all.

Foxhunter25 - do you have evidence of this, because unless true that is slander?

Technically, it would be libel since it is written...not slander; however, I was going to keep out of this as I LOFF therapeutic programs and the benefits for the riders, but I had considered donating a horse several years ago to this program when I moved overseas for an extended period of time for business.

I was told that if the horse was not what they were looking for or they did not need it that they would sell the horse to make money for the program as that is "one of the ways we make money." I was not comfortable with that answer and, instead, gave away the horse to a loving family who still keeps in touch to this day.

I don't know if I'd go as far as namecalling though.

Quote Originally Posted by HydroPHILE View Post
    Technically, it would be libel since it is written...not slander; however, I was going to keep out of this as I LOFF therapeutic programs and the benefits for the riders, but I had considered donating a horse several years ago to this program when I moved overseas for an extended period of time for business.

I was told that if the horse was not what they were looking for or they did not need it that they would sell the horse to make money for the program as that is "one of the ways we make money." I was not comfortable with that answer and, instead, gave away the horse to a loving family who still keeps in touch to this day.

I don't know if I'd go as far as namecalling though.

Thanks for the information.

Hydrophile - thanks for the information. At least they were upfront about it and let you make that decision.

It was only because I asked what would happen if he didn't work out/was no longer needed. With me being overseas, I wanted to make sure he went some place permanent.

tara payne okon Guest

Wow I guess we are getting slammed for trying to help Special Needs children and adults. We have done this for over 12 years and some horses that have not worked out were sold, some have gone back to owners, some have gone to a lawyer here in town that has 100 acres that provides retirement to our horses, some have gone to the vet school at Auburn that have had problems, some Auburn or our vet has put them down due to injuries. I even have one with a vet at Auburn that has taken the horse in for us as the cost to care for her were going to be huge - she fell in love with the horse. We try to do what needs to be to take care of the horses. We found at one time someone selling 3 horses that would not work for us was a mistake after we found out more about them but luckily those horses went to go homes and most contacted us. They told us about the seller and no more horses were sold through them. We do tell people upfront that if the horse does not work they have a choice of it going back to them or for us to sell it unless they want to retire it for $150 a month. We are nonprofit in one of the 10 poorest communities in the United States needless to say raising funds here is pretty much impossible. Having people say such things about programs that try to do the right thing is why many of them have closed.
    I did not answer as almost immediately after this was posted we had several calls and found two horses that worked. We are again looking for a couple of horses and yes I don't have time to sit on my tush going through a bunch of computer stuff since we have 46 riders at this time which is a low number but I am back at work 30 hours a week since donations are so bad for everyone in our area. To let you know how bad it is - can you imagine you Big Brothers/ Little sisters programs closing because of funding. Well it has happened here and instead of closing our doors many of the volunteers which we all are have gone back to work and work our schedule around the kids.
    Thank you to those who know we are doing things for the right reasons.

tara payne okon Guest

If you want to contact us or learn more about us go to www.hunnypotstable.com or call us at 229-434-9087 in the evening after 7pm and before 9pm.