The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ParaNex - EPM remedy?

Has anyone heard of this, used this, know someone who did? Any comments? It is a non-RX "remedy" distributed by Heartland Vet Supply. It costs about $240 for a 30 day treatment period. They also sell a daily EPM preventative. There is not much information on their website: http://www.paranex-p.com/ about the product or what is in it. It is not an FDA regulated substance. They call it a nutriceutical. I spoke with a representative from the manufacturer and he said they are working on getting studies published and that their results, 90% recovery, are very favorable. I would love to hear if anyone has tried it.

Somehow the studies never seem to appear. The site's been up for at least a few years and the research is still "on its way", it seems. Also there is nothing whatsoever stating what's IN the product, which IMO is fishy-fishy-fishy.

If it sounds too good to be true . . .
    Click here before you buy.

http://paranexepm.com/Recovery.php

This states the ingredients

I am intersted too. Does anyone have first hand experience with it. My gelding has been on Marquis for 2 months and I plan to do one more month but thought of using the paranex after that for two more months.

Default Bump

Bumping this up again to see if anyone has any firsthand (or second or third... just someone other than the manufacturer!) knowledge of this stuff. I'm on week 7 of the pyramethamine/sulfadiazine regimen and while it did stop the progression of the EPM, the mare seems to have plateaued and is still fairly neurologic with pretty severe muscle wasting. I'm thinking of giving the Paranex a try, but would really like to hear from someone who has used it or knows of someone who has used it. Could you ask your vets and see if they have heard of anyone using it? None of my vets had heard of it.

The active ingredient in it is silver. The rep I spoke with said that it basically kills any microbials in the system, good or bad. I asked how this could possibly be a good thing and he said that the good microbes, the ones produced naturally in the body would be replenished by the body, but the bad ones, like S. Neurona, would be killed permanently. Sounds real scientific, huh? The thing is we are at the end of the line with this mare, so I don't have much to lose. Thoughts?

Ah, the colloidal silver mythology. There is no question that silver is a good antimicrobial when used superficially, like in dressings and on wounds. Internally? Not so much. Lots of toxicity, little to no proven benefit. But that little trivial detail (external vs. internal use) is conveniently overlooked by those who hawk the stuff.

Yes, SSD is one of my favorite wound creams. But do you think this is worth a shot? I mean, do you think there might be a CHANCE it could work? Sigh. As I said, I am running out of options.

I've been using it as a PREVENTATIVE and recommending it for over a year. I bought it when I first saw it in a catalogue on line.

Anything to prevent EPM. It hasn't harmed and if it helps, well, we're in 'possum country.

I had heard about the colloidal silver, but have been afraid to try it.

What about the APF? They sell it with smartpaks on a wafer.

Cloudy, are you using the treatment or the preventative? I'm trying to find someone who used the treatment and their horse recovered (or not) from EPM. I'm not familiar with APF. What is it?
    Oops, either I'm blind or you edited while I was posting. I see you were using the Paranex P. Its hard to say if a preventative works or if the horse would never have gotten it in the first place! But, I would probably try it on a horse that had a previous bout of EPM. If this horse recovers, I may consider it.

There is always room for last-ditch tries when all else has failed. It's a tough place to be. In the case of colloidal silver, one has to really be mindful of the dose, as too much can cause some very nasty toxic effects. I don't know what "nanosilver" is (a little odor of reptile there) but you could ask the company how much is in the product. If it's a homeopathic dose, you probably won't be doing any harm. Nor much good, more than likely, but again if you're at that point where even unproven and potentially dangerous remedies are on the list of possibilities, all you can do is weigh the pros and cons as best you can and decide. My sympathies go out to anyone who finds themselves in that situation, no matter what the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by avezan View Post
    Cloudy, are you using the treatment or the preventative? I'm trying to find someone who used the treatment and their horse recovered (or not) from EPM. I'm not familiar with APF. What is it?
    Oops, either I'm blind or you edited while I was posting. I see you were using the Paranex P. Its hard to say if a preventative works or if the horse would never have gotten it in the first place! But, I would probably try it on a horse that had a previous bout of EPM. If this horse recovers, I may consider it.

No I edited to make sure people knew it's for prevention. But it is supposed to break the chain. Now I saw the Marquis work on the other horse where we boarded, and they had to do, what is it, 2 months, with vit E? I think, and then another treatment a few months later.
    But like Deltawave says, when the chips are down and things are not going well, you try anything. I had heard that the colloidal silver breaks the chain of protozoa, and I'm scare to use SILVEr as a preventative, but I'd be using it if it was an option and I needed it.
    You should buy the Paranex, it's cheap, I buy 4 at a time and get the shipping, and also try the APF thru smartpak. Paranex did not hurt my horse and I'm pretty neurotic about my animals. It's got a long list of herbs/tree bark/whatever, but it has no ill effects in my situation, so if it helps prevent EPM, I'm happy. My vet said back in 2002 that all our horses in the SE are exposed, and he said don't use the vaccine, which was recalled about a year ago, so we're left with trying to boost immunity.
    How about Transfer Factor to help with that?
    Or the colloidal silver. Good luck. Hope it works, Report back to us.
    Last edited by cloudyandcallie; Mar. 2, 2009 at 10:24 PM. Reason: spelling

And if your vet approves, you could use the Paranex now along with any treatment of prescription drugs.

Good luck.

Having lost a horse from EPM, and having been told there's no cure, only maintenance, at that point....well, it can't make things that much WORSE, can it? There is no cure, so it's not like the outcome will be different if it doesn't work.

Is it sold anywhere as a cure for malaria?

Paranex did not hurt my horse and I'm pretty neurotic about my animals. It's got a long list of herbs/tree bark/whatever, but it has no ill effects in my situation, so if it helps prevent EPM, I'm happy.
    Having lost a horse from EPM, and having been told there's no cure, only maintenance, at that point....well, it can't make things that much WORSE, can it?
    This is precisely what the marketers of these products are banking on: desperation and fear, and a willingness to suspend caution in those circumstances. In fact, silver is poisonous when used in high enough doses. So are a lot of things. Are the doses in this stuff high enough? Probably not, as that would require them using a lot of expensive raw materials to make a cheap product. But whether or not the product is safe OR effective is a matter of belief. Failing proven efficacy trials, that's all there CAN be. If that's enough for someone to buy it, more power to them--and the manufacturer.

BO at previous barn used the colloidal silver on herself, not on her horses.

I'll be the first one to line up for an EPM drug when it is approved by my vet, John Malark did not approve of the last one and he was right, but till then?
    If Holistic is the only way to go, I'm going.

I sure do fear EPM, I saw the horse waste away before he was treated by his owner, and I sure don't want that to happen to mine. I'm happy to spent the money on mine for holistic products. I gave him "Moody Mare" herbals when my mare Callie was taking them, didn't hurt either one (and didn't make a difference in their temperments either).

Sorta near the Devon Horse Show grounds...

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    This is precisely what the marketers of these products are banking on: desperation and fear, and a willingness to suspend caution in those circumstances.

Which is one reason I despise Fort Dodge- they came out with an "EPM vaccine", which had no hope of ever working, just at the time when the hysteria was on the rise. Truly a responsible move...
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
    www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
    http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

Absolutely the "traditional" fields of medicine are not without their slimy aspects when it comes to cashing in on public paranoia. It takes someone with a better brain than mine (and mine is pretty good!) to get through the mumbo-jumbo of what IS and IS NOT all right to say according to the FDA, USDA, etc. Things are a lot less clear on the supplement/nutraceutical side, and regulation is scant at best.

We're all left to think and decide for ourselves. I just wish that these companies would spend more on RESEARCH and less on ADVERTISING.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I have had 3 that came back 100% after diclazuril. Every single one I did with Marquis relapsed/reinfected. None of the diclazuril horses have come down with symptoms again...FWIW
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Sorta near the Devon Horse Show grounds...

The best thing about the Dyclazuril- which is labeled as Clinocox, fwiw, is that you can keep a horse on it for 40 days, with just one bag.

The big deal with killing off the protozoans, with something that is actually cidal to them, as opposed to merey inhibiting them, is that you have to have enough drug (read$$$) to keep them at steady state for as long as possible, so that you can fry as many as possible.

No one has any really useful data on the life cycle of the protozoan(s), so, it is hard to know how long is long enough- and my theory, which is worth just exactly what you are paying for it, is that the buggers must be able to encyst, probably in the cord, and that is why horses tend to relapse.

Really, this is about knocking the nasties on the asses long enough for the horses' own immune system to rally, if that it possible, and take them down, on its own. I do not believe that you can ever really get them all- which is why I believe in the "encyst" theory.

You need to make your horses immune system sing, and also support the general health of the nerves, with immune boosters, and 10,000 IU of Vitamin E, respectively.

BTW- I have a friend who is a stalwart believer in colloidal silver, and actually got a generator, and makes her own. She had a horse with EPM, and just went whole hog into the stuff- for everything! I tried the whole process, but I just didn't believe in it enough, I suppose. I threw out my generator awhile ago...

Best of luck!
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
    www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
    http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/