The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Update: Georgia Crackers get additional charges in abuse case.

Good news just posted today http://www.ravallirepublic.com/artic...ews/news51.txt

The losers go to trial Tuesday, January 27. Prosecuting attorney did an excellent job!

Dorinda, a reporter at the RockyMountainRiders news, has done an excellent job of keeping everyone posted on this case. (Dorinda Troutman)

Let's hope they do get some jail time instead of a fine and probation. Then they get to come back to GA and brag about how they got away with it.

BTW "cracker" is a bad name. I sure hope they aren't Georgia natives. Like Newtie Gingrich and Bob Barr and Ted Turner, they might be d***yankees who moved down here..............I hope.

I still don't get how they pleaded not guilty.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Quote Originally Posted by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho" View Post
    I still don't get how they pleaded not guilty.

Most defendants plead not guilty even if they are caught on camera. Some later change their pleas to guilty, depending on the plea offer by the DA.

And some go to trial, since they have the right to make the DA prove them guilty "beyond a reasonable doubt". That's a reasonable doubt of a normal man or woman, not "beyond a shadow of a doubt".

And they can always hope that there is some wacko on the jury who will either hang the jury and cause a mistrial, or that the jury will like them and ignore the evidence, or that the DA will screw up, etc., and then they get acquitted.

Remember they are entitled to a jury of their PEERS, not a jury of the victim's peers, even when the victims are human. (That's peers, Ted, not peeps)

Too bad the jury isn't constituted of Ted or Cloudy or some smart old tb mares like my Callie was. There would be a "hanging" for sure, but the jury would be hanging the defendants, not hanging up a mistrial.

I'm just hoping the prosecutor can find his a****** with both hands and a flashlight. Look at the OJ trial years ago, incompetent DAs. So everyone email and phone and encourage the DA positively to try these guys and get the judge to send them to jail. I think the email address and name are on the old threads.

Lordy! Please don't send those stupid men back to Georgia! I'm going to try to find out what town they live in & be sure everyone knows what they've done.
    It's amazing that people are that uncaring. They need to be starved, kicked, & tied out in the sun with a pack on.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Slightly OT...I know the case that is being discussed; however, why is the OP using such a derogatory term? "Georgia Crackers"? (Cracker: Poor white, rural Americans with little education). Just a little FYI pulled from an anthropology website...."The term 'cracker'...remains a racist term to many in the region."

I would prefer to use "scum from Georgia."
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Big ditto to what HydroPhile said. Cracker is very derogatory. Not that the scum bags don't deserve it, but still.

I hope the human garbage gets some jail time. And to whomever asked, the men are from Woodstock, Georgia, right up the road from me.

Now I have a friend that PROUDLY calls herself a Florida Cracker. She tells me in her area of Florida it refers to born and bred Floridians of "lesser" economic stature. Since most of the people in her area of Florida are imports from other States with money that is

She also owns a Florida Cracker horse - hmmm.....a breed.

I always thought Cracker = Hillbilly. And even her in N.Illinois we have Hillbillys or Yahoos or Yeahoos etc

Well, but the thing is, they are NOT crackers, at least not in the economic sense. The father lives in a pretty upscale subdivision if memory serves.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

I don't apologize for using the term unless of course it's inaccurate, but I'm not splitting hairs over that. I was venting, and political correctness went out the window when the younger guy kicked one of the horses when it was down and when one of the horses died due to the abuse. So anyone who insists on politically correctness--get over it. It's one of the most appalling and outrageous abuse cases I've ever heard.

The two losers went back to Georgia right after they were arraigned and entered pleas, and probably won't show for the trial since the charges are misdemeanors.

But thank you to everyone who sent messages to the prosecuting attorney--I think it worked. Now let's see what happens in court.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by Woodland View Post
    Now I have a friend that PROUDLY calls herself a Florida Cracker.
    In no way shape, size or form is the term Florida Cracker a pejorative name. Crackers are generally considered native Floridians and more importantly, RANCHER natives, although I think almost anyone who lived through a couple generations of hurricanes becomes a "cracker".

I haven't heard of a Georgia Cracker, but since a Florida Cracker is more commonly heard of in the northern parts of Florida, here's betting a Georgia Cracker is found in Southern Jawjuh.

Either way, this batch of scum was from the highly urbanized, over developed, up to your eyeballs in McMansions and traffic Roswell area. I would say if they had been crackers they might have had half a clue how to take care of stock (which they did not). Their complete lack of a moral and humane compass? Not sure what we can blame that on, but it damn sure isn't because they were crackers.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I pray they rot in hell!
    Ms Robin
    Farm Websites & SEO, Low Prices, Barter available!
    ~No Horses to Slaughter clique~

I'd been following this case, but the title of the thread gave me no CLUE that this was what it was about.

I just hope they go to jail for years.

And that they are yankees so that we South Georgia Natives who aren't crackers can demand a retraction on this thread.

Altho Roswell and Woodstock and points north of atlanta have lots of mcmansions, that area was once mostly all redneck and still has some, uh, not so cultured people....meaning you don't want to meet them in a dark alley.
    And there are lots of middle class subdivisions especially in Roswell.

Whatever this father/son combo is, they are not nice. White trash is white trash, whether they are rich or poor or middle class.

I hope the horses get good homes after the trial is over.

Oh great....they live in Woodstock (where I live).
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Quote Originally Posted by HydroPHILE View Post
    Oh great....they live in Woodstock (where I live).
    Yeah one's in Roswell and one's in Woodstock.

Sic 'em.

hey, I just went to the www.rockymountainrider.com website to see what Dorinda Troutman has updated, and turns out some of the horses were purchased in Roswell and north GA, and then one was purchased in Neb.

So they took GA horses out to Montana and discarded them, used them up, and left them for dead.

I've emailed Dorinda to try to find out where the cruds came from originally.

Quote Originally Posted by HydroPHILE View Post
    Slightly OT...I know the case that is being discussed; however, why is the OP using such a derogatory term? "Georgia Crackers"? (Cracker: Poor white, rural Americans with little education). Just a little FYI pulled from an anthropology website...."The term 'cracker'...remains a racist term to many in the region."

I would prefer to use "scum from Georgia."
    I was born in Ga. and I always was told that Ga. Cracker was the term when men drove mule teams and would crack whips over their backs. Since I wasn't there (I'm old but not THAT old) I don't know but if the scum bags are Ga. Crackers I don't want to be one.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

See - I thought it had something to do with saltines - you know, white and salty on the outside. Shows what I know!!

I hope there is not a problem with the trial due to advance publicity. I hope they go to jail and get reamed, literally. Over and over and over.

Oh, and all their financial assets go to the care of the surviving horses.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues