The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Does Anyone make a winter riding boot that actually fits my short, muscular legs

I am so frustrated I could scream. I am not a large person at all but from years of riding, athletics and exercise I have very muscular legs as in you can see nearly all of my muscles when I move (even at the age of 46). They are not "thunder calves" but they are not slim either. They are all muscle.

Anyway, I also have legs on the shorter side. I have a 29 inch inseam and basically the length from the foot to the base of my patella is about 16.25 inches, so I can actually flex my knee. I take an 8.5 size shoe but can wear a 9 with thicker or two socks.

Do you think I can find a boot to fit me? Nope. I would have to walk like Frankstein in them! I just want a winter riding boot, but one I can do horse/barn things in too. Usually once I have them on I keep them on all day. I tried Ariat, hate the new style and they are too tall, Mountain Horse-way too tall, and Tuff rider, too tall and too slim through the calf-could not get it zipped past my heel basically.

I am sure I am not the only one out there. A friend who works at a tack shop said the boots all seem to be getting more narrow and taller and I was basically out of luck for winter boots. even the wider width boots start their height at 17 inches-that hits me mid-patella.

So, I am turning to my wise COTHers to see if they know of any places that sells them. I know I have to get semi-custom made field boots in the spring (not looking forward to paying through the nose for them) as the paddock boots and 1/2 chaps will not cut it in a show ring.

Any insight would be super. Thanks!

gaiters or half chaps will do the trick you put them on over the top of your riding boots

I know what you are saying GLS but I need a "complete" boot so now ice, snow wet, gets in. I have winter Work (sorels) boots with a gaitor attached but they are in no way a riding boot.

You might be able to fit the Muck Boot Company's Brit Rider boots.
    I have an even shorter inseam and lower leg (would you believe 14")
    than yours and the Brit Riders were sufficiently wide but came up
    to my knees and couldn't be shortened. If Geek will chime in here,
    she can tell you how they work for someone a little taller but still short.
    They are very warm and quite suitable for riding and barn work. If
    they are too long for your legs, you could look at the midi height, but
    it doesn't look quite a suitable for riding.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

Mountain Horse-- give them a try. Make them for wider calves and also come in different heights. You might have to get a store to order the right height and width combo for you.

You didn't specify which Ariats you tried. Did you try the one with the laces up the side? The laces are nice as they will expand the boot enough to fit in a wider calf. The don't come in short height persay, but I notice they aren't the tallest things on the planet.

Hi All, I tried the Mountain horse ones, in the store and they are too tall-even the wide width ones. Those were worse than the Tuff Riders.

I also tried the Ariat with the lacing up the side and hated them. I used to have the old style of Ariat winter riding boots, had them for years and they finally died. I work hard in my boots it's not like I am just walking a clean barn Aisle each day or simply jumping on a horse.

I will look into the brits. I know my boarders and my husband had the Muck boots and said they were SO slippery, as in no traction. I can't have that working with horses-I have babies right on up to Stallions.

As an aside, who is one of the "best" for semi-custom made field boots?

I have Muck Chore boots and they're short enough for me (I'm 4'10"). They also have very flexible uppers that might work for muscled calves. Muck boots do have horrendous traction, but you could get Yak Traks for them to provide that.

I have the Middleburg fleece-lined boots, which are more riding than chore-oriented, and they seem to have a fairly wide calf and aren't too tall for me... but the larger the foot size the taller they get, so that may be a problem.

http://www.dublinclothing.com/USA/ra...ntierboots.asp

I've never tried these, but they look fairly large in the calf. Maybe shoot Dublin an email and ask for specs?
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

omg kookicat you may just be a life saver. These look VERY similar to the older style of Ariats that I honestly wore every day in the winter and for many winters here in Upstate NY!

I will certainly email them and ask for the specs. Let's hope they are not too tall! My old Ariats fit me like a glove.

THANK YOU

Quote Originally Posted by classicsporthorses View Post
    omg kookicat you may just be a life saver. These look VERY similar to the older style of Ariats that I honestly wore every day in the winter and for many winters here in Upstate NY!

I will certainly email them and ask for the specs. Let's hope they are not too tall! My old Ariats fit me like a glove.

THANK YOU
    I really, really hope that they work for you.

Another thought- have you checked Ebay for a pair of the older boots you liked? Sometimes people buy them, don't wear them for whatever reason and list them on there.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    I have Muck Chore boots and they're short enough for me (I'm 4'10"). They also have very flexible uppers that might work for muscled calves. Muck boots do have horrendous traction, but you could get Yak Traks for them to provide that.

I have the Middleburg fleece-lined boots, which are more riding than chore-oriented, and they seem to have a fairly wide calf and aren't too tall for me... but the larger the foot size the taller they get, so that may be a problem.
    Sarah do you like the Middleburg's?? I have the MH Ice Riders right now and hate them. They jab into the back of my knee. I've been eyeing up the Middleburgs for awhile, they look comfy...
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
    Sarah do you like the Middleburg's?? I have the MH Ice Riders right now and hate them. They jab into the back of my knee. I've been eyeing up the Middleburgs for awhile, they look comfy...
    I do like them... they're very very comfortable, I even wear them with jeans to go shopping and stuff. They drop like regular tall boots after a while so they don't rub the back of my knee anymore. However, they're not quite as warm as I hoped... I think the problem is that I ordered them in my actual shoe size, and with all my layers in winter, they constrict my feet too much. Maybe in a bigger size with thicker socks they would be warmer, because they're great when it's in the 30s and 40s, but not as helpful when it's in the 20s and lower and I layer up. But they're still relatively warm to most boots; my feet get cold but they're not total blocks of ice.

Plus I can wear them in the barn and to ride in, though, and then wear them to Starbucks and they look weathered and distressed enough that people ask me where I got them because they want a pair, and they don't ride. (: