The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Many Horses Killed In Lincoln (CA) Barn Fire

Many Horses Killed In Lincoln Barn Fire
    Crews Could Not Save Animals
    POSTED: 5:27 am PST January 23, 2009

LINCOLN, Calif. -- About a dozen horses were killed early Friday when a fire ripped through a barn in Lincoln, fire officials said.
    The blaze started shortly before 3 a.m. at Doug Ingersoll Training Stables on McCourtney Road.
    Firefighters said a 4,000-square-foot barn on the property was fully engulfed in flames when they arrived, giving them no chance to save the animals.

"The environment was too dangerous," said Fred Lopez of Cal Fire.
    Fire crews from Lincoln, Penryn and Cal Fire battled the blaze.
    The facility is well known for training cutting and roping horses.
    Many of the animals lost in the blaze were worth many thousands of dollars apiece.
    Reported by: Brian Hickey
    Cloverfox Stables

Thats just a couple miles from where I used to have my horse pasture boarded. I wonder what started the fire, it was an older wooden barn but looked to be in good shape.

Looks like they lost 12 horses...... http://www.sacbee.com/336/story/1568047.html

Too sad.

I just don't like wood barns, I just don't, having been in two fires in them.

So sad.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Always so sad to hear this..I think every horse owners worst fear. My hearts go out to all involved.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Too sad.

I just don't like wood barns, I just don't, having been in two fires in them.
    Bluey - metal barns can burn just as quickly , one place I boarded kept (expensive) sale horses in quarantine in the hay barn. Unfortunatley, poorly-trained staff failed to notice the smell of fermenting hay and it combusted.
    The Fire Dept was there in 10 minutes, by that time the metal barn had burned to the ground into a pile of slag.

So sorry for the horseowners in Lincoln, this is my very worst fear.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Is that Bobby Ingersolls kid? Second generation trainers with good reputations over alot of years.

Those would have been nice horses and represented his business. Probably lost alot of years of collected tack along with everything else.

Gosh, really sucks.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Bluey - metal barns can burn just as quickly , one place I boarded kept (expensive) sale horses in quarantine in the hay barn. Unfortunatley, poorly-trained staff failed to notice the smell of fermenting hay and it combusted.
    The Fire Dept was there in 10 minutes, by that time the metal barn had burned to the ground into a pile of slag.

So sorry for the horseowners in Lincoln, this is my very worst fear.
    A metal barn will only burn if you have a large amount of combustibles in there.
    A wooden barn can burn on it's own, with little combustible in there, as the barn itself is combustible.
    That is what I meant.

Yes, some of those horses may have been some of the better ones in the disciplines they train and have won so much in.
    Doesn't matter who they were, any life lost like that is very sad indeed.

Godspeed to all the horses who died!
    Steph

http://community.webshots.com/user/stephanne014

Rerider/Haydunker Clique

RIP Barbaro, you were my hero!

Findeight - It was Bobby Ingersol's brother's barn.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Is that Bobby Ingersolls kid? Second generation trainers with good reputations over alot of years.

Those would have been nice horses and represented his business. Probably lost alot of years of collected tack along with everything else.

Gosh, really sucks.
    From what the reporter said on the video footage it's Bobby's brother. Here is the link to the news station report and video.

http://www.kcra.com/news/18547102/detail.html

This on another board.

"I've spoken to 3 trainers/ranch owners this morning and one, who spoke to Doug around 6:30AM, said he is just devastated. He lost the horses, all of his tack including vintage saddles and Garcia bits. That's just stuff though, he's just dealing with the horror of losing the horses the most."

Their personal horses along with their best client horses were in that barn. Its all gone. They don't know what started the fire but can't rule out electrical or arson until they know more.

It's all so so sad and everyones worst nightmare. I'm glad mine have open stalls onto paddocks and pastures to escape too and aren't in box stalls.

Godspeed to the horses.
    Cloverfox Stables

Great yours have in-out as it means you have two entrances to the stall... but don't count on pastures attached to the barn saving your horse from the fire. A LOT of horses will go back into a burning building to their 'safe' stall. Best if you have pastures NOT connected to the barn you can turn the horses out in - out of the mess that is fighting a fire.

I was talking to a local firefighter about barns. One comment he made is the newer barns with wood attached together with the metal plates as framing are considered high risk for firefighters. They think 2 or more times before entering one of them. Apparently they go up more quickly when they go.

Around here, firefighters call structures built with trusses, not individual framing, firefighter's tumbs.
    With trusses, if some start to go, the whole structure collapses.

Trusses make it cheaper and quicker to build, but at a cost.

Of course I feel bad about the horses whatever they were.

But also the huge loss of those old classic California vintage bits by Garcia and can only imagine the saddles that were lost.

Heritage totally lost and irreplaceable...betting there was at least one old style bosal hacakamoe by Luis Ortega there too.

There is great truth to the saying they don't make them like they used to and their loss is like salt in an open wound on top of the horses lost.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Doug is my neighbor.. I heard the trucks go by... had no idea to look out the window...

very VERY sad..

P~

How awful. My thoughts and jingles to all of them.

A barn fire is one of my worst nightmares. It's one of the reasons I paid to have sprinklers installed in my stables, even though they're brick and outside. (as in this style: http://www.egdon.co.uk/images/stables/large/stables.jpg )
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    But also the huge loss of those old classic California vintage bits by Garcia and can only imagine the saddles that were lost.

Heritage totally lost and irreplaceable...betting there was at least one old style bosal hacakamoe by Luis Ortega there too.

There is great truth to the saying they don't make them like they used to and their loss is like salt in an open wound on top of the horses lost.
    I was supposed to inherit one of those wonderful bosals and some of those vintage bits when a dear friend died. But those things seemed to have disappeared before I got there. *sigh* I hope someone got them who knows what they have!
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

*jingles* for Debbie and Doug to get through this.

Such a devastating loss. For most of us, I think this is our worst possible fear of bad things that could happen to our horses. Its my understanding that it was a mix of family owned horses and client owned.... very hard and very sad for all involved.