The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Blue Seal BP Pellet feeders, anyone else notice a difference?

I bought two bags last month. Finished the first bag, all was normal. The second bag is, well, just different....it has a slimier texture and smells strongly like oatmeal (just not the same). My mare eats it just fine/no problems. My gelding will not touch it (and he LOVES beet pulp).

Just curious if anyone else has noticed a difference.

I feed trotter. I have not noticed a difference....What are you feeding?
    Sarah in New Hampshire
    My Blog - Adventures in Eventing

BEET PULP...not the grain.

To be honest I didn't even know Blue Seal distributed Beet Pulp.

I feed their grains though.

Why don't you call them and ask?

I buy the plain pelleted BP from Blue Seal. I have noticed varying odors from bag to bag. Some have virtually no odor (after soaked) while others have smelled a little like dirt/coffee. Horses have had no issues either way cleaning it up. Last bag I used had what looked a like bran... no other way to describe it. It was flakes of something.... I took my chances on it and it made no difference to them. I do really like this product. Would be curious what Blue Seal has to say about changes from bag to bag. I thought I read on here that odor, etc. has to do with harvesting.

Considering how much BP shreds can vary in color, texture, consistency, cleanliness, it surprises me not at all the BP pellets can vary. I did use Blue Seal BP pellets for a while, and noticed some variation from time to time.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Sometimes mine come with a trace of BOSS or even a few corn kernels, but I've never noticed a change in the pellet size. Colour can vary, though smell has never varied for me.

But there are several (many?) different mills producing for Kent/Blue Seal. I believe mine is in the Northeast, and more likely, in Canada. (many of the products I get from Blue Seal up here have French and English on the bag. Just a clue. )

I have had the bags get wet with snow on me during transport in my open pickup--I try to dump the bags on top, but sometimes a bag has gotten a bit damp; This time of year mold is not a worry AT ALL, but it will crumble up a little bit of the beep, and I'll notice that when I dump it. Obviously in warm weather I simply cannot get them wet AT ALL or I would have to worry about mold.

I'll be picking up more today. Will letcha know if there's any change.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Yep, this batch looked like it had a rice bran in it too.

Anyway, found out today that the BP wasn't causing the gelding's finickyness....vet found an exposed root in his mouth. Poor baby.

Agree on the barn like substance!

I bought two bags yesterday so I will post when I open those!

You will know the mold when you smell it. Also, check the pellets for a fine, white powder coating. Mold, again. Otherwise, the bags do change scent from time to time.

There are 11 manufactoring plants for BS which are in the northeast and midatlantic states. I am near the one in Ricford , vt which was one of the originals. Have many relatives working there. None of their feed is manufactored in CAnada but they do ship to canada. Any feed being shipped to another country has to have the tag info in both languages. Same with clothing manufacturers, the clothing Peerless sends to canada has to have labels in french too. Guess always living in a border community has taught me a bunch of info. I made a call to a relative though about feed being made up there and they said no, none is.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief2 View Post
    You will know the mold when you smell it. Also, check the pellets for a fine, white powder coating. Mold, again. Otherwise, the bags do change scent from time to time.

No mold, just different texture.....the pellets are darker. I went to TS today and bought shredded. These did have Molasses in them, but I just don't want to pay for another bag of Blue Seal after this one. We can't find shredded beet pulp w/o Molasses around here.

I've noticed a difference bag to bag...

Some bags are "normal" others cook up with a kind of sludge on top and a different smell - I've also noticed they take longer to full absorb the water.

Hmmmmmm...

Glad someone else noticed. I was beginning to think I was crazy. Oh wait.... I am. NEVERMIND!
    True North Dressage
    Select Cheval Canadiens for dressage and eventing
    www.TrueNorthDressage.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sabovee View Post
    I've noticed a difference bag to bag...

Some bags are "normal" others cook up with a kind of sludge on top and a different smell - I've also noticed they take longer to full absorb the water. Hmmmmmm...

Glad someone else noticed. I was beginning to think I was crazy. Oh wait.... I am. NEVERMIND!
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is a perfect description of this latest bag. What the heck?

Yes! The newest bag of BP had a slime type of stuff on top after it soaked - I thought at first I used too hot of water to soak the pellets. I also noticed this bag seems to take much longer to soak and fluff up. Horses eat it all the same though.

if a number of you noticed the same thing, check the batch number on the bags and report to BS! One reason I stopped using Blue Seal years ago was when they started using more or less of a certain ingredient in their pellets (I was using trotter and they claimed conistency of ingredients batch to batch) according to availability of the raw ingredient PLUS ... they did something else 'cause all my critters were on BS products and all of them stopped eating them (dogs, cats & Horses) ... so something changed (I'm talking almost 10 years ago) then and I've never used since except for a bag of hay stretcher now and then when I can't get ahold of Poulin Forage extender.

But, BS should be notified.
    --Gwen <><
    "Treat others as you want to be treated and be the change you want to see in the world."
    http://www.thepenzancehorse.com

I was thinking the same thing. Call BS and ask.

I've fed their grains to my TB with success and always been happy with the quality. Their service has been good too. So I would give them a call.

I will send them an email with this link, so they can see that several customers are seeing the same thing.

Yes, The last 2 bags which I have purchased over a 6-8 week period of time have been much darker and they do NOT expand in the water as they should.
    Guess I'm going to have to go to another product.

Hey OP- Opened a new bag yesterday and noticed the pellets are much shorter and there is a lot more broken up pellets, almost like they crumbled easily. Didn't see any bran like remnants this time. The pellets are also slightly lighter. No opposition from the horses and normal odor.