The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default SPINOFF: Rubber Reins

I am not a fan of rubber reins. To me they are too bulky and thick, and if you are unfortunate to get the kind without grips, it's a little too easy for them to flip through your hands. Is there anyone out there who agrees with me, and has found a durable substitute? My trainer says I could always use leather reins for XC, but I might not always come back with all the pieces

Thinline reins. Pricey but worth every penny and they fit nicely in my small hands. I don't know how I ever lived without them!

Others seem to love the Eventa reins. I can't stand them.

If I were too poor for Thinline reins, I'd buy the Nunn Finer Soft Grip reins from Bartville Harness Shop.

Bobby's. Best rubber reins and only like $50.

Default web reins

I have had rubber reins and they kind of melted over time. I have decided I like the web reins with the leather stops.

Quote Originally Posted by juliet View Post
    I have had rubber reins and they kind of melted over time. I have decided I like the web reins with the leather stops.
    The melting can be caused by getting fly spray on them. Once I figured that out and kept them out of the line of fire I haven't had that problem since.

I use beta reins and I think they're AWESOME. They're a good size, thin but not too thin and they have a good grip without being "sticky." They also go in the washing machine when they're dirty.

Everyone who's ridden with my reins loves them, and most go buy a pair!

I second the Bobby's reins, I love mine. I did get the thicker rein because that's just what I prefer, but they do come in a smaller size. (I don't know how anyone can use anything but rubber... other reins bug the crap out of me ). Good luck in your search!
    It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw.

I like the Ovation Four-Star Event rubber reins. I know they are rubber, but they are really really really flexible and super grippy. My first bridle had them and when the nubbies finally wore out after a year and a half of hard riding, I bought three new pairs; one for showing, one for schooling, and one for back up. The only thing that makes me sad about them is the fact that they only come in brown and brass...I wish they also made black and silver ones so I can use them in dressage!

I never liked the rubber reins either, the ones I had ridden in were too stiff. I got the Jeffries Bio Grip reins purely because they came in red (my eventing colors) and they turned out to be SO nice! They're really soft and super grippy

http://www.derbyhouse.co.uk/prodshow...2&scats=49,95#

FWIW-I love love love the Nunn Finer soft grip and use them for jumping and dressage-because they're flexible, they don't feel as stiff to me. I know others have posted complaining about being slippery when wet, but I've never had a problem.

Jeffries make some that are like the Nunn Finer soft grips. They are really really grippy and very thin and flexible. I actually find them too grippy for xc, all that slipping and gathering, I like the thicker ones, they are easier to deal with in those terms. The soft grips I find can get caught while Im slipping them.

Also, they make web reins with rubber weaving through them. I hear good things. They are very thin.

LOVE LOVE LOVE my Nunn Finer Soft Grip Reins.
    My only problem with them is that they are too long. However my horse has a really short neck.

HWilliams- call Bartville tack and get yourself a pair in cob length!! I too have a few short necked horses and the cob size reins are the perfect solution.

Love..love..love the soft grip reins and get mine from Bartville for around $50. I have small hands and little grip strength so they work well for me. 3 hrs of hunting and no sore hands means a lot to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthehorse View Post
    Also, they make web reins with rubber weaving through them. I hear good things. They are very thin.
    That's what I use! They're pretty cheap too. I'd buy the Nunn Finers if I had money to blow, but the rubber weave beats the rubber pimple reins which are much too thick for me. The thinner the reins, the better for me. I also hate stoppers! Cotton web reins with stoppers are my worst nightmare... they fly thru your hands till they get stuck on a stopper--there are no options in between!

I used to like the web reins with the several lines of thickish rubber thread run down the center in various colors, couldn't stand rubber reins, then I met Bobby's rubber reins and now they are on every bridle I own. Thin, flexible, grippy and only $50...

Jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by HWilliams View Post
    LOVE LOVE LOVE my Nunn Finer Soft Grip Reins.
    My only problem with them is that they are too long. However my horse has a really short neck.
    Same here, my horse is only 15 hands and they're pretty long. Excellent reins though.

Your local tack store should be able to shorten reins for you. I am also a huge fan of the web reins (with stops) with rubber woven in. I've been able to get them very inexpensively. For dressage, I'm currently riding in leather reins with rubber lining that I find great (before that, I used to use web reins for dressage also).
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Another vote for Thinline reins. I LOVE LOVE LOVE these reins. I have little hands and have the same problem with rubber reins. The only problem with these reins I have found is that they are not grippy when you wear big thick fleecey gloves in winter -- nothing I'd compete in!

I can't speak to durability as I got them last year and then had a big crash in them -- ripped one almost all the way through (the leather part, nothing to do with the thinline part -- we flipped, so it was pretty dramatic!). I am hoping to get them repaired as I've never had reins I love so much but they are pricey...
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Quote Originally Posted by Jleegriffith View Post
    HWilliams- call Bartville tack and get yourself a pair in cob length!! I too have a few short necked horses and the cob size reins are the perfect solution.

Love..love..love the soft grip reins and get mine from Bartville for around $50. I have small hands and little grip strength so they work well for me. 3 hrs of hunting and no sore hands means a lot to me.
    I saw those at Bartville a few weeks ago and they looked incredible! I also have small hands, and agree that those would be perfect!
    Cindy

Does anyone know if reins can be "re-rubbered"? I have two sets that the leather is still in great shape, but the rubber has completely disintegrated.