The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Weird things people are compelled to say to you when your horses are at home?

Do you think that it is because they are trying to impress you with their horse knowledge? What makes people says such weird things?

Here's one...

It's been below freezing for a few weeks. It's snowed. It's ICED. It's been below 0 many days. All the ground is frozen. Someone says to me as they survey the snow covered frozen tundra that is my farm... "Guess you're not riding at home right now? Even the really good outdoor rings are frozen."

Ummm, ya. I'd hazard to guess that you're right. And what the hell does that mean?

And another from the hay guy....

In regards to a new tractor we had purchased. "Nice new tractor. You'll only put 30 hours a year on that tractor." Then about a year later he asks. "How many hours on that?" Me, "143 now I think."
    Ya buddy. That's right, we don't have an arena to drag or acres to mow or manure to spread or fence posts holes to auger out or whatever else you use a tractor for, we just bought it to look at it.

Any number of goof balls in regards to my young horses making comments about how gangly they are. Yes, they are gangly because they are babies. That's what they're like: Goofy gangly babies. They do no look like adult horses until they are adults. If you think a 16 month old should look like an 8 y.o. please just it keep to yourself.

I do my best to smile and nod. Smile & nod. smile..........

Vent over, I feel better. Please, do share your stories so I don't feel so all alone.

I always get the "well you don't ride now anyways right, since it's winter". Ughh of course I ride, I ride in an arena. Then they always say something like theyre shocked, "whoooooooa, they have those!"

lol

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

Well my horse isn't at home but I still get interesting comments when people find out I have one.

"So what kind of horse ya got?"

"Urm.. A Thoroughbred"

"So are ya entering him in the derby?" said with dead serious expression

"No.. um he's 9."

"Soooo"

"You have to be 3 to enter the derby"

"Oh so are you going to breed him?"

"No he's a gelding"

"What does that have to do with anything?"

"*headdesk* He doesn't have his manly parts anymore. "

"Oh.. so he's pretty much headed for the glue factory huh.. not much use for him"

"* headdesk headdesk headdesk*
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

my favorite (my father used to say this to me when I was young)

"Why do you need so many horses? You can only ride one at a time."

Quote Originally Posted by horse-loverz View Post

"Oh.. so he's pretty much headed for the glue factory huh.. not much use for him"
    Now that's funny!!!! Thanks!

Here's an all time favorite...

Crazy horse friend calls me and asks for a video of one of my horses. At the time he was 2. He sort of knew how to lunge. That was about it. She asks me to have him jump some stuff in the video. So we get the horse to go over some cavaletti on the lunge and it's okay but not great. Would have been better with a shoot to work him through.

She later calls me up to tell me how to train my horse and says he shouldn't be lunging or going over jumps and that if he must do that, he needs to slow down.

Good lord lady, you're the one who asked to see this stuff on the pretense you were interested in buying him. I never would have done all that had a I not thought, you, as a friend, were seriously interested in him.

Well, I haven't really had super weird questions or answers, but I swear so far EVERY single non horsey person that has been to my farm and saw my horses during turnout had to ask what those flowerpots around their feet are for.
    So I explain they are called overreach boots, as they love to run & stride out in pasture and the tip of their hinds might catch the heels of their fronts or back of frontshoes, so it's for protection. And I swear people don't seem to understand this simple explanation, I can just tell by the look on their face that they still don't understand why they wear flowerpots, as one person called them .

The other question I ALWAYS get in the summer months : "Can they actually see through those headnets, (meaning flymasks) and why are they wearing those. And are they not sweating in those covers (meaning flysheets) and why are they wearing them.

The other question I have had, but more sporadic, do the nails in their feet hurt. Admittedly I can understand that kind of question if you are non-horsey.

And when sharing pictures of my horses, I have had some people being shocked at the sight of a sleeping horse : "I didn't know they laid down"....

I'm not offended by these, I guess to some degree these are more caring questions then anything else.

Most often the conversation ends : "They are beautiful". I say thank you and we're all happy, including horseys who by then of course have come up to the gate to get some treats and say hello to strangers .

Default Mine

When my second baby horse was born, my sister brought her daughters down from a couple of states away to visit. One of my nieces brought a "horsie" friend (around 13 I think). Said friend walks up to week old baby and informs me "She looks like a baby mule!" I'm sure she thought I was nuts when I brightly thanked her and informed her that big ears on mares of her breed were considered good. Here she is at four:
    http://web.centre.edu/dajones/

Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Lieslot View Post

The other question I ALWAYS get in the summer months : "Can they actually see through those headnets, (meaning flymasks) and why are they wearing those.
    My neighbor told me that her son cried because "the mean new neighbor blind folded the horses. "

Quote Originally Posted by horse-loverz View Post
    Well my horse isn't at home but I still get interesting comments when people find out I have one.

"So what kind of horse ya got?"

"Urm.. A Thoroughbred"

"So are ya entering him in the derby?" said with dead serious expression

"No.. um he's 9."

"Soooo"

"You have to be 3 to enter the derby"

"Oh so are you going to breed him?"

"No he's a gelding"

"What does that have to do with anything?"

"*headdesk* He doesn't have his manly parts anymore. "

"* headdesk headdesk headdesk*
    I GET THE SAME THING, I SWEAR IT!!!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

My husband brought a guy from work that just had to see my horses and ask me questions... I could see my husband's pleading eyes say to me ("I am so sorry for this but please just get through so he will go home.")...

The guy wanted to know:

1. How many stones was the mare? I said, "Do you mean the gelding and how many hands?" He replied... "Yep."

2. Did I race him? I said, "No, not much of a call for 15 hand, 16 year old Anglo/Arabs on the track."

3. Then he told me that western saddles were for beginners because they had a horn for scared people to hold on to. (I ride both so I had no idea about my riding skill at this point.)

I pretty much ended the conversation by explaining that I had to go muck the paddock and made a quick exit.

Best one for me was when my cousin's boyfriend were visiting (never been to my farm before) and was never near or rode a horse before, could not believe how big horses were up close, and then in the next sentence he asked....

"How many pounds of meat do you have to feed them?"

I could not help myself from laughing!

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineRose View Post
    Best one for me was when my cousin's boyfriend were visiting (never been to my farm before) and was never near or rode a horse before, could not believe how big horses were up close, and then in the next sentence he asked....

"How many pounds of meat do you have to feed them?"

I could not help myself from laughing!
    I get the same "they're so BIG!" response from the non-horsy visitors.
    Another friend just can't get over the fact that they stay so big "just eating hay".

One ladyfriend who came over for composted manure froze in place, afraid to move a muscle once I let her into the paddock.
    My horses are loose and, of course, came over to mug her for treats (humans are Pez dispensers, right?).
    They are not pushy about it, but I guess I didn't realize how awe-inspiring a 16h TB and 17h+ TWH can be when they surround you sniffing & blowing...
    She still talks about it...
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Default had a friend visiting from LA

She is non-horsey and loves animals but is not all that "in tune with" them. So she's staying at our house when I had to go to work for a little bit. Thinking it would be even more "like the country life" to eat her bowl of cereal outside, she goes into one of the pastures surrounding the house. The 3 horses are happily grazing way down at the other end of the pasture, but friend is unaware that the horses can hear the crunch-crunch-crunch of cereal (GRAIN!!) about a mile away. She has her back to the horses and has no idea they've come close because she's on her cellphone with someone back in LA, going on and on about how peaceful and serene it is, etc. She finally becomes aware of the 3 horses standing literally inches from her back when one of them puts their muzzle right over her shoulder and breathes on her, kinda like "hey lady, any chance there's some leftover?" Poor friend dropped bowl and phone and ran away screaming at the top of her lungs.

Default These are great!

I own a Chincoteague Pony and I get lots of questions about his breed and the whole ponies swimming across the channel thing. I'm always shocked when horsie type people have never heard of the breed. I thought all little girls read Misty of Chincoteague! The funniest is when people just can't get that Chincoteague Pony is not only the name of the breed, but also the name of the island..."so what breed is he?" He's a Chincoteague Pony for crying out loud!
    Proud mom of a Chincoteague Pony

Two of my city slicker friends came to the farm to look at the horses etc. One of them turned around and said to me pointing to the (big) manure pile: "what's that?" !!!!!!

Ah yes.

Yesterday, while getting hay. Hayman's friend is there. Friend has horses. He starts to tell me about "cholera". See, his vet told him that if his horses drank cold water, they'd get cholera. So he breaks the ice on the tanks every morning and so far, no cholera. What do I think? I tell him I have absolutely no idea.

Next subject: Someone told him horses won't eat hay if they don't have water to drink. So... my friend returned some hay that her horses wouldn't eat last week... question: Does my friend give her horses water? Or perhaps did they not like it because they had no water. I tell him I have absolutely no idea.

Load truck, drive away, call friend. She gets to laugh, too.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by goponies View Post
    Two of my city slicker friends came to the farm to look at the horses etc. One of them turned around and said to me pointing to the (big) manure pile: "what's that?" !!!!!!
    That's black GOLD!!!

I had a friend visiting last summer. She was munching on raspberries and asking "What do you put on your Roses?"

"Horse poop."

"What do you put on your daylillies?"

"Horse poop."

"What do you put on your berries?"

"Horse poop."

She literally gagged and spit out her berries, and refused to enjoy any more. Stoopid city-slicker.
    On hoofbeats and heartbeats, your love came to me. With carrots and kisses, I now set you free.
    RIP, my beloved RootBeer (4/1973-8/2007)

I made my husband promise not to tell any new people that we met that I have horses, because I am tired of answering the same goofy questions.....

Things like......

After several weeks of not seeing this or that non-horsey friend, I get the same question, "Do you still have your horses?" response, "Yes, I still have them."
    For the last 25 yrs I have been getting this question from the SAME people.

"Isn't it great that horses NEVER have to lay down to sleep."

"Would you please take those blindfolds off of your horses, it is upsetting my kids."

"How many times a week do you have to feed them?"

"If you don't breed them or show them, what other possible reason could you have for keeping them."

And my all time favorite:

"Can I come and watch you ride your horses sometime?' My reply.."Well, that would be kinda hard because I trail ride." Their response. "That's Ok, I'd like to see how you do that too."
    I am trying to be the person my horse thinks I am.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    I get the same "they're so BIG!" response from the non-horsy visitors.
    Another friend just can't get over the fact that they stay so big "just eating hay"...
    Those cute little foam critters that expand to 20x their size (or whatever) when immersed in water? That's how they stay so big. It's all that water they drink. It's got nothing to do with the hay. Take away their water, though, and they'll shrink down to the size of a riding boot.

*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&
    "Show me the back of a thoroughbred horse, and I will show you my wings."
    &*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&