The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My horse hurt my farrier. I feel *awful*

First things first- farrier, horse and I are all mostly okay. Farrier is going to have a nasty bruise, mare has a few scrapes and a cut on her side and I'm just a bit banged up.

My farrier cams this morning to shoe my three. He did Lil and Rue first, fine, no problems. I pulled Asp out for him and held her while he pulled her shoes and trimmed. Got to a back foot and I think she lost her balance. She went over on her side (Thank God, not the side he was working on!) and took me with her.

Her hoof caught farrier as she was trying to get up. I didn't let go of the leadrope quick enough and got yanked off my feet. My back is black and blue from hitting the deck. Got her up and checked her over. Left my SO with her to wait for the vet while I took farrier to the hospital. He's fine- shaken, and a bit bruised, but fine. Asp has scrapes, and a cut on her side which is a couple of inches long. It has a few staples in it to hold it closed.

I just feel awful. I'm not sure what actually happened but farrier thinks she lost her balance. Ugh. Do you think I should send farrier a card/something? I'm so glad that he wasn't badly hurt!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

If it wasn't a case of bad behaviour, and just a freak accident, I'm sure your farrier has already accepted that in his line of work, sometimes things like that happen. That being said, I'm sure he would appreciate a card/bottle of wine/whatever. You can never be too kind to a good farrier!

Accidents happen. At least Asp wasn't being a jerk. I'm sure your farrier understands.

Sounds like just a bad freak accident. I'd send either a card or maybe a get well basket of goodies if he's laid up for a bit.

Thanks. I still feel really bad.

I'm gonna bake some cookies and take them around.

She wasn't being a jerk- one second she was up, the next she was down. Very scary!

OMG, your horse didn't hurt your farrier, they had an accident. Not your fault!

I am glad both horse and farrier are OK. But seriously, from the title I thought the horse had nailed him on purpose! I imagine horses try that with farriers from time to time.

I'm glad you all got away with just bumps and bruises...that's scary. I think it would be a nice thing for you to send your farrier a card. Accidents are a hazard of the job, but an owner who really cares will mean a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by chai View Post
    Accidents are a hazard of the job, but an owner who really cares will mean a lot.
    Ditto that.

I know you feel awful -- something similar happened with my farrier, he cut his hand badly on an unclenched nail when horse lost its balance -- but it was an accident.

Default it's nice of you to think of sending a card.

it's a lovely gesture and i would do it.
    i think people underestimate the impact something as simple as a card has.
    we've had 2 situations at the barn recently involving the same boarder's horse and injury to another horse and a barn worker and let me tell you, a card would've been a welcome gesture especially since both incidents occurred around the holiday season and resulted in considerable expenses being incurred by innocent parties.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

a card (or the Tshirt 'what not to say to your farrier, separate thread ) and a bottle of something good is always a nice guesture, maybe a tube of asper cream or arnica in this case (and use it on your own bruises, too)

Accidents happen, that's why we call them that! everybody is no worse for the wear, we live to tell about it! (if you were a guy by next week the horse would have performed a double sommersault before landing... )
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

My farrier has been hurt several times in the 15 years he has been shoeing for me. He has never once blamed the horse (he's blamed the owner a few times LOL). If you have a good farrier, he will know the difference between a freak accident and a horse really meaning to hurt him. Sympathy never hurts anybody though - your cookies sound like a great idea and definitely get him a card. There are so many out there that wouldn't care if he was hurt - I'm glad you're different.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Card and cookies it is.

I love my farrier- he does a fantastic job and is great with the horses. I do try to take care of him. He's sending his trainee (who isn't really a trainee ) out tomorrow to finish Asp. I'm feeling a little gunshy about it TBH!

Quote Originally Posted by kashmere View Post
    If it wasn't a case of bad behaviour, and just a freak accident, I'm sure your farrier has already accepted that in his line of work, sometimes things like that happen. That being said, I'm sure he would appreciate a card/bottle of wine/whatever. You can never be too kind to a good farrier!
    ditto. Sometimes crap happens. Glad everyone will be okay.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Kooki,

I'm glad all are ok, but really nobody's fault! It's nice of you to take cookies on over to him. My blacksmith was a point to point rider and now trainer. That type of thing wouldn't have bothered him in the slightest!

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Accidents like that are the hazards of the job. I would send a card and perhaps a basket of goodies and good thoughts.

Thanks everyone. I just spoke to his wife on the phone, and she is the sweetest person. I was half expecting her to be mad at me, but she was worried about Asp, and asked how I was. Lovely lady, very classy.

Lee is stiff and sore but okay. I'm very happy about that. Asp is stuffing herself with hay like usual, so no damage there. I'm pretty sore too- my SO gasped very loudly when he saw my back, and ordered me to relax.

Horses eh? I'm still wondering what happened. I have a feeling that the rubber mats might have been a little slick and when she shifted her weight, her feet went out from under her.

Oh gosh do I ever understand about those damp mats. I was clipping a filly right before Christmas about five years ago now and although bedding was on top of the mats, she shuffled her feet around and managed to clear a small area where her front feet were. I was instructing someone on how to clip and didn't pay enough attention to it. She was not totally calm about the whole thing and as best I can figure out, she must have scrambled a bit, slipped and lost her balance, and caught my feet as she toppled. I went straight down on my knees, rolled over and there she was laying in the floor with me. That was one very weird moment in my life. The woman who was getting the clipping instruction couldn't even tell me what happened. She said one second we were standing and the next we were in the floor. It cost me a trip to the E.R. in an ambulance because I was unable to walk - thought I broke my knee over it but I just wrenched it and hurt all the way thru Christmas.

I'm glad your farrier is okay and you too even though you're stiff - stuff like that just happens.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Good heavens! That sounds like an awful wreck and not anyone's fault. I'm so glad you are all OK other than bruises and no major injuries!

I know how awful you feel, my horse kicked my trainer/barn owner for no reason other than she touched his leg. Totally out of character for him, however he was turned out with a new horse that day and my horse is lowest on the pecking order so I think he was getting terrorized and hyper-sensative to anything behind him.

Gave her a loaf of banana bread (which her dog then ate before she got any of it) and shared my sore-no-more liniment.

Send him a get-well card, I'm sure he'll appreciate knowing you're concerned!

But yeah, it just makes you feel terrible
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

Do you think maybe she fell asleep ? ?

What a freak accident?!

I think a bottle of wine would be a lovely gesture.