The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dumping his bucket... DRIVING ME NUTS!!!!

My old man is driving me insane at meals! I feed beet pulp mashes in ground feeders (black rubber pans). My Appy eats quietly, happy to have his big bowl of food in front of his face, but the old man INSISTS ON SHOVING THE BUCKET AROUND THE STALL WITH HIS NOSE BETWEEN EVERY BITE!!!!! Then, as he gets closer to the walls, he starts looking around while chewing and smearing the beet pulp everywhere. I have had enough!

I am looking for creative ideas for anchoring the bucket. I try to keep it near the center of the stall, but even when shoved against the wall he moves it around the stall. At times he has dumped his food shoving so far. What the heck can I put this thing it or put into it??????

They've got feed pans that are built to not tip so easily that would probably be harder to push as well. I've been using a plastic one with my horse who pushes and dumps feed out of his pan since Monday and so far he hasn't tipped it yet. I put his smaller rubber pan in the bigger plastic one for ease of feeding. If he needs to be inside I've got a bigger rubber pan attached to the wall in the corner and the little pan goes in it. I've also seen some rubber pans that look like they have a circular piece of stall mat stuck to the bottom that would probably be hard to move.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

LOL because I feed grain the same way & my Old Guy has started doing the same thing! Although to a lesser (& less annoying) extent.

I have "placemats" in the stalls near the doors - pieces of rubber matting - that I place their feedpans on.
    This kind of helps keep the pans in place.
    If OG dumps his pan at least he can finish eating his grain off the mat.
    Anyhow those prehensile lips can pick one oat out of the shavings if they stray that far. I have yet to find a single oat in the shavings I clean from their stalls.

I don't feed beetpulp, so I can't help you there, but I have had my other horse dump a pan of mash onto his mat and he eventually licks it up.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

You can use a regular feed tub set in an appropriately sized old tire.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    I have "placemats" in the stalls near the doors - pieces of rubber matting - that I place their feedpans on.
    I saw one of those deals -- only the pan was bolted to the mat. In order to get close enough to eat, the horse had to step on the mat, thus anchoring the pan in place. I've never used them, but they seemed like a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Sithly View Post
    I saw one of those deals -- only the pan was bolted to the mat. In order to get close enough to eat, the horse had to step on the mat, thus anchoring the pan in place. I've never used them, but they seemed like a good idea.
    Here ya go!!! It's a mowl!
    http://www.equine-originals.com/
    BDC

I don't understand why some horses do this. My QH is perfectly content to eat from a rubber pan on the ground. I had an aged Belgian draft that was happy to eat from a rubber pan on the ground. Even the goats eat nicely from their small rubber pans on the ground.

So I get 2 gaited horses and neither one of them will leave the pan on the ground. They have to bump it, and bite, and tip it, and fling it. ??? And then they try to eat the food from the ground.

So, I bought feeders that have adjustable brackets and the buckets hang on a fence or a gate or stall wall. They still bang around a little bit, but they no longer flip them and dump them.

The "little yellow horse" (one that I rescued) likes to carry the rubber pan in his mouth, right side up (he scrunches the side down). Reminds me of Oliver Twist "More Please Suh?"

We used plastic milk crates, attached them to the wall, anchored the bucket with double end snaps with the ever useful baling twine to make it easier to attach the snaps from the bucket to the crate. You can still remove the bucket and clean. Not on the floor but is certainly cheaper than the MOWL ($65) and works fine. BTW, be careful of using tires, I read about a nasty injury that a horse got from chewing on a steel belted radial tire, the steel came off in strips and got imbedded in the horses' mouth requiring surgery.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by mybeau1999 View Post
    Here ya go!!! It's a mowl!
    http://www.equine-originals.com/
    Uh... okay. With my two brats (see above post), they would stand on the OTHER side of the bowl (not on the mat) and pick it up and drag the bowl AND the mat.

Clinton Anderson's site has some that are supposedly no tip:
    http://downunderhorsemanship.com/cat...roducts_id=228

My guys would think of these as some sort of Ninja flinging toy.

Well, to save money, she could just bolt his existing feed pan to something she has around the barn.

Screw one of these in to the corner;http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies...oductId=275365

Feed bag!!! Wont waste a piece!!

Why is it bothering you? What harm is it doing? He's only entertaining himself.

Some people push their food round their plates before eating it.... no difference.

I've a hand reared horse that's a real character.... far too clever for his own good. When he's finished eating, he picks it up with his teeth and wangs it out over the door. God help anyone that happens to be walking past !!!!

Thomas 1- I have a horse that does this, and its very annoying b/c 1) she can't pick up all the feed on the ground (or doesnt want it because its been "spoiled" now), so wastes it, and doesnt get her full-meal (problem with a slightly hard keeper) 2) when she eats off the ground, I worry about her picking up sand/dirt with the feed (she lives out)- which is a colic risk

Have you never heard of corner feeders? What's wrong with using them?

I use a flatback bucket and either put it on the wall using a bucket hanger -- like you would for a water bucket, there are all kinds. If you do this, use a very strong bucket holder because they tend to push down hard, licking the bottom of the bucket and can break the holder.

When he is outside I tie a flatback bucket to the gate using a or short crosstie of some sort or something similar.

Mine gets too excited and paws his bowl, picks it up and throws it around, and this works for us. He still wipes his face all over (it's a mash) and makes a pig of himself, but he gets the food in his belly.

either soak the mash in a seperate bucket and dump into corner feeders (make sure it's something you can attach and remove easily to clean) OR use a feed bag. You'll have to rinse it out, but it's worth it.
    THe annoying part of a horse doing this is they waste it, and usually they are hard keepers and need every mouthful!

Default I have one like that but I have you beat with the other horse

The one that pushes his ground feder around I did the rubber mat thing and he's good. With the tire he still flipped it around the stall but my other horse (the genius !!) Knows how to hold the float down on the auto-water in the pasture and floods the fields daily ! ! Try fixing that !

Quote Originally Posted by manyspots View Post
    My old man is driving me insane at meals! I feed beet pulp mashes in ground feeders (black rubber pans). My Appy eats quietly, happy to have his big bowl of food in front of his face, but the old man INSISTS ON SHOVING THE BUCKET AROUND THE STALL WITH HIS NOSE BETWEEN EVERY BITE!!!!! Then, as he gets closer to the walls, he starts looking around while chewing and smearing the beet pulp everywhere. I have had enough!

I am looking for creative ideas for anchoring the bucket. I try to keep it near the center of the stall, but even when shoved against the wall he moves it around the stall. At times he has dumped his food shoving so far. What the heck can I put this thing it or put into it??????
    shove it an old tyre if it bothers you same to with his water buckets if he happens to swing them around

hes only having a bit of fun eating. matey as like thomas 1 says i would rather have 10 horses shoving there dinner around than have 10 that rear or buck

all horses have a quirk his is eating his dinner in his way and i am a great believer in when they eating or have gone to bed its there time in there space as its my time in my space when i am home sat down eating mine in front of the tv

and i will add, check his teeth as they get older you need to be more vidualent and offer extra dental care plus have you ever thought that he might not like what your feeding him so wipes his mouth to get rid of the taste horses have dislikes just like we do ie kids dont often eat greens becuase they dont like them

find the cuase if theres one then sort the problem, if its just him then let him eat his dinner in peice

The feed bag idea might be the trick... he might actually enjoy that

It bothers me mainly because I don't want him picking up things he should be eating while eating off the floor after the bucket gets dumped. Even though I also sweep a section of mat clean, he manages to move the bucket enough that he dumps it in the shavings. Second, in this weather, the beet pulp freezes to my floor faster that he can finish eating it. I was trying to avoid a corner feeder, even one on teh floor because he makes a mess of the walls with theses mashes, but if I have to I will do screws eyes in the corners and just clip the bucket into place on the floor.

Maybe the tire idea too... he's no playful so that might work too.