The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone tow a golf cart BEHIND a horse trailer?

Just bought a new golf cart. Now I have to figure out the logistics of getting it to the shows. I've seen a carryall rack that goes on the back of the trailer (I have a 5 horse head to head Sundowner). It's pretty expensive and looks complicated. The hitch guy also suggested that I consider just hooking a small trailer to the back of my horse trailer. When we get to the show, we could unload the golf cart and the golf cart could actually hook to the GC trailer and park it. Anyone have any experience?

I don't know about Ga but in FL that would not be legal.
    Why don't you just drive it up the ramp and park it in the middle after you load the horses? I've seen lots of folks do that.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

I think it's gonna be too long to fit in the hall, but I'll measure.

I saw it once on the interstate a golf cart and horse trailer. I've seen it many times with horse and utility trailers; boats; assorted vehicles; etc.

"Double bottom" towing is legal in most places as long as you stay under the maximum legal length for a hitch. I'm having a "senior moment" on that number but it's 65 or 70 feet.

You do have to be a relatively skillful driver and have enough truck to start and STOP the the tow.

Check with your local DMV; they should have a manual that will include both state and Federal rules.

G.

you gotta be kidding, why take a golf cart, just look after you and your horse and leave theng in doors at home dont risk your life or that of your horses by double towing
    thats so un commonsense and an accident waiting to happen

With all due respect, GLS, I do this for a living. I spend almost every weekend at shows over 3, 4, 5 days. I sometimes take 15 or 18 horses to the shows with the incumbent staff, entourage, etc. I am the first one there and the last one to leave- 12 to 14 hour days are pretty standard. I really don't think that having a golf cart means that I'm too lazy to "take care of my horse." Sheesh....

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I did it...once. But it was behind a two horse slant, so not as long as your rig. I would never do it again. I just get a spare mom or rider to bring it now.
    And GLS....this is not the UK, you almost have to have a golfcart at the shows here.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

I saw this rig the other day that was a HUGE RV that was towing a horse trailer, that was towing a trailer with a golf cart on it.

It was rediculously long and had to have been a pain in the arse to drive
    "My shopping list is getting long but I will add the marshmallows right below the napalm." -Weighaton

I second putting it in the aisle between the horses. (or someone's truck bed). A cart fits in a pick-up bed with room to spare, so it's not more than 5-6 feet or so long. I wouldn't want to be double hauling a small utility cart down the highway at 65-70 MPH behind a big rig horse trailer!! If a tire blew you'd be SOL!!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

For starters, you need a CDL Class A, with the double trailer endorsement, to be legally pulling a double trailer. You can't back the outfit up, really! The RV folks with boat, will unhitch the boat, pull it over and re-hitch when straightened out.

Do check with the local Highway Patrol, State Police, to get the correct rules and enforcements that cover this kind of outfit. Can be hard to get down to find the exact details. State of MI, such an outfit is only legal with a locking hitch, like a 5th wheel has. Gooseneck ball is not legal to pull a double trailer. Front trailer is supposed to be an RV trailer and required to have a bathroom. Driver needs that CDL-A with endorsements to pull this outfit. Weird stuff like these details are buried way down in the rules. Yet if you are pulled over, you are supposed to know them because YOU are the driver and responsible for what you pull. Depends on how the cop feels that day about your transgression, how he will view things and if HE knows the rules of your outfit.

If cart won't fit in trailer aisle, maybe you could rig a rack on over the truck cab, get the cart up with a winch. With Driving horses, we see all kinds of rigs with vehicles piled on.

You'd need a Class A, commercial license in California to do it and not exceed 65 feet total. However, if your state allows it, and you go to California, just need that plus a medical certificate.

Why don't you have one of those in the entourage take it to shows? You can buy a small flatbed trailer for the golf cart pretty inexpensively at Tractor Supply. The trailer and cart shouldn't be too heavy, so someone wouldn't need a beefy tow vehicle for it. The compromise would be that you'd have to wait for part of the entourage to arrive. OR, if you're making multiple trips for horses and if your trailer has a rear ramp, use the rear section of the horse trailer for the golf cart if it won't fit in the middle.

Put it in the bed of the pickup- or if you have a gooseneck- put it in the bed of one of the students pick-ups.

Also, IslandGirl is right about inexpensive trailers. I know someone who got one for $50 from a landscaper when he upgraded. It's super handy for lots of things at home too. Basically anyone with a hitch can pull it- including those tiny non-SUVs.

We have a golf cart trailer. It's just always been challenging to get someone to bring it. I have grooms, so the riders meet me at the shows, they don't come from the barn. If it's convenient, I'll have someone else bring it, but I was hoping for a simple way to bring it with us.

Quote Originally Posted by CA ASB View Post
    You'd need a Class A, commercial license in California to do it and not exceed 65 feet total. However, if your state allows it, and you go to California, just need that plus a medical certificate.
    I don't think it is legal in California to have a double trailer of any kind, even if it meets the length requirements. That's what my step-dad has always told me, and he had a class A DL w/ special endorsements for work (firefighter).
    So you would be outta luck if you came here with a rig set up like that. Hopefully it will fit in your trailer aisle.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

FYI most golf carts will NOT fit across the aisle of most trailers..and even if they did its a safety hazard beyond all belief.
    Freak thing, but a friend had a bag of shavings fall on the gas pedal and run the tires so hot the trailer caught fire while going down the road. Now that wouldn't happen if they had taken the key out, but even the best forget something sometimes....
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Default I do it all the time...

I had a reciever hitch installed under the horsetrailer, and I hook the golf cart trailer to it after the horses are loaded. Just slide the stinger in the reciever, secure the pin and I back up to the trailer that is loaded with the golfcart on it.

Have hauled all over the country like that with no problems. I pull a four horse gooseneck behind a 2006, crew cab F350 dually. Plenty of whoa power. I had the wiring hooked up so the golf cart trailer has brakes as well.

I am in the northwest and have not had to get a CDL despite my willingness to do so. The whole rig is right at 70 feet, had I gone over it might have been an issue.

It is not hard to drive and we get in and out of gas stations etc just fine.

Jsalem if you want pictures of the set up let me know-
    Sometimes going forward is as simple as never going backward.

Quote Originally Posted by mypaintwattie View Post
    I don't think it is legal in California to have a double trailer of any kind, even if it meets the length requirements. That's what my step-dad has always told me, and he had a class A DL w/ special endorsements for work (firefighter).
    So you would be outta luck if you came here with a rig set up like that. Hopefully it will fit in your trailer aisle.
    Wouldn't have posted if I hadn't verified. So NO you would not be out of luck coming here. Straight from the California DMV:

DRIVER LICENSING for DOUBLE TRAILERS - CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
    12804.9. (b) ..., any applicant for a driver's license shall be required to submit to an examination appropriate to the type of motor vehicle or combination of vehicles the applicant desires a license to drive:
    (1) Class A includes the following:
    (A) Any combination of vehicles, if any vehicle being towed has a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 10,000 pounds.
    (B) Any vehicle towing more than one vehicle.
    (C) ...
    15278. (a) A driver is required to obtain an endorsement issued by the department to operate any commercial motor vehicle that is any of the following: (1) A double trailer. (2) ...
    To apply for a commercial driver license, see this DMV web site: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/commercial/commercial.htm.
    DRIVER LICENSING for DOUBLE TRAILERS - NONRESIDENTS
    12502. (a) The following persons may operate a motor vehicle in this state without obtaining a driver's license under this code: (1) A nonresident over the age of 18 years having in his or her immediate possession a valid driver's license issued by a foreign jurisdiction of which he or she is a resident, ....
    (b) Any person entitled to the exemption contained in subdivision (a), while operating, within this state, a commercial vehicle, as defined in subdivision (b) of Section 15210, shall have in his or her possession a current medical certificate of a type described in subdivision (c) of Section 12804.9, which has been issued within two years of the date of operation of that vehicle.
    15210. (b) (1) "Commercial motor vehicle" means any vehicle or combination of vehicles which requires a class A or class B license, or a class C license with an endorsement issued pursuant to paragraph (4) of subdivision (a) of Section 15278.
    In summary, nonresidents may tow two trailers with a non-commercial license IF their base state allows it. However, they would still need a valid medical certificate per 12502 CVC.
    For a valid medical certificate, see this DMV web site: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#dl51medical.

Quote Originally Posted by crosscreeksh View Post
    I second putting it in the aisle between the horses. (or someone's truck bed). A cart fits in a pick-up bed with room to spare, so it's not more than 5-6 feet or so long.
    Mine doesn't fit in the bed of my truck (standard bed). We can get it in there with the tailgate off but it is literally on the edge of the bed. DH assured me that it would stayput with tie down straps but I have visions of it rolling off and knocking my trailer off the hitch so I don't take it to shows unless I can get someone else to trailer it.
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

Even if it did fit in the middle of the aisle--- I can't imagine doing it that way... yikes!! My previous boss had a 5 horse head to head gooseneck with an extra "compartment" in the back with it's own ramp. Pretty nice setup. She used to put horses in there, but now it is the golf cart compartment. Drive it up the ramp, bungee cord it, pack around with heavy stuff... off you go. The only thing is, since it's on the back, it bounces like you wouldn't believe. Stuff often ended up under the cart. Quite scary actually.