The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Exclamation a reminder: aromatherapy

It's been a Very Bad Week, starting with the truck breakdown at -24f, and continuing.

Just got in from 'supper' chores though. And I don't quite know why, because it's quite warm at 4 above, but when thought I should check His Princeness to see if he was cold. And after touching and scritching, I smelled him.

Why don't we do that more often? There really isn't much on this planet that smells better, ya know?

In winter he smells the same as the very first horse I cared for. Smell being such a strong memory trigger, it brings it back... simple times, simple love. Sometimes if I need to cry, I do, but they are sentimental tears... the good kind that leave you tired but peaceful at the end.

And you know, normal people don't get this. They truly don't get burying your nose in a shoulder or that nook of their neck...

Yet it is priceless therapy. More precious than any essential oil or incense.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Awe! I smell my guy and it seems the stress' of the day just leave. Another great aromotherapy is new puppy!

K
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

Ditto. I will even walk back to the barn if I've forgotten to get my daily dose of horse aromatherapy. There is just no smell to compare or that will immediately transport me back to simpler, less stressful times in my life, and re-center me.

Just getting out of the car you can smell that barn smell. SO good.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Quote Originally Posted by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho" View Post
    Just getting out of the car you can smell that barn smell. SO good.
    Or in my case, getting INTO the car can bring back that barn smell Guess I should clean out my back seat of all the extra horse blankets...

NOT the barn smell. The lovely scent of a horse's skin. Something like a mixture of hay, grass and well............sweet horse.

Quote Originally Posted by crewgirl34 View Post
    Or in my case, getting INTO the car can bring back that barn smell Guess I should clean out my back seat of all the extra horse blankets...
    Glad to know I'm not the only one with a blanket trunk for a car! The barn smell is good, but not as sweet as that horse smell.
    ~ A true friend knows all there is to know about you and still likes you. -E. Hubbard

I love the way my thoroughbred smells....my daughter and her trainer laugh at me because I will stop them at what ever they are doing and take a big "sniff" of horse! Instead of stop and smell the roses...stop and smell your horses! I love it!!!

Awww, thanks for the reminder, pintopiaffe! I haven't been having a great few weeks, but I forced myself to go out to the barn and give extra ear scratches tonight, and that made me feel a little better. I'll try sniffing them next time, too!

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Seriously, HH, *do it*. Makes a world of difference.

DRGH, I *adore* arriving home at 0245... in summer it's the dew & sweet grass smell, or if it's still hot out, the horse smell... in fall it's woodsmoke and frost and leaves... Winter doesn't have much smell at times, at other times it just seems like the cleanest air you've ever breathed in. I always say I'm glad the drive home is 17 country miles, because by the time I get home, I am HOME.

Sometimes I just wonder what happened to us, that we are so predisposed to this thing called Horse. I could sooner stop breathing than stop being around them. I tried it once, (ONCE) I was NOT a very nice human to be around.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

so sweet.

my favorite is the smell of horses in the SUMMER. it's just not quite the same in any other season.

Default oh i can relate:)

i took my mare's blanket off in the pasture last weekend and while carrying it to the barn i held it close against me and could smell that scent that all of her blankets have. i held it closer as past memories came to mind... i loff my mare
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

What a wonderful post! And glad to know I'm not the only one who adores muzzle kisses and the smell I get from them as well as the hugs.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Sure I love to smell him... But it's really cool when he sniffs me back.

Yes, he sniffs me back.

My big guy has the greatest smell! When I was introducing him to my part leaser, I told her about how great he smells, and how buring your face in his neck and breathing is beneficial to your health.

I'm not sure she believed me.

I love horsey smells...but my son pointed out to me that horse lips smell like hot dog. And it's true!