The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I think someone peed in Lolitas Cheerios...

I work with Jen on a lot of horses coming off the track. She sends them here, we restart them and find them new homes/careers. I would be more then happy to share some of the new owner's comments about the quality of horses and their awesome personalities, along with pictures of past and current horses. In 2 years not one horse of Jen's that we're retrained or sold has been resold. Jen and I went into this with the goal to find retiring racehorses the best home as possible for both the owner and the horse. Putting the horses best interest first is why I work with Jen. She is an amazing horse woman, not only in talent, but with her heart.

So lolita, while you might think this particular horse Folly should be retired to a field I'll ask you what is in Folly's best interest? I've met him, played with him, loved him, and I can honestly tell you Folly would be miserable being put out to pasture. He loves to work and it would be unfair to just retire him.

Here again, Jen and her family, are putting the horse's best interest first. I think it is shameful of you to come on here writing what you did. You honestly owe Jenarby, Folly, and his connections, a heartfelt apology.
    WestWind Farms
    Love means attention, which means looking after the things we love. We call this stable management.
    - George H. Morris

Quote Originally Posted by lolita1 View Post
    Also swimming horse in the racing industry, usually indicates that they have leg problems great news for the new owner of a horse- they will most likely have no idea - gee it that WON more that $500k - and you . You really have done that horse proud hope you feel real good about the future of the horse and your self NOT

ROTFLMAO! You turn a horse like that out in a field and he's gonna be wondering just what in the hell he did wrong to be so badly punished!

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm speechless. Thank you all for everything you have said. I've been pretty upset about what lolita said earlier in this post.
    Folly spent 5 weeks on turn out before heading to NV. While I do think he enjoyed the down time I think he was also bored. I could have easily posted him for sale and squeezed a little more money out of him. I know in my heart he would have sold fairly quickly even at his age. But I was more concerned, as were my family that he gets a good home where he's treated well. So that's what we did. We each have riding horses of our own and Folly would not get the attention he craves. I'm hoping to see someone adopt him that will ride him but also spoil him because he thrives on the attention.
    RIP Spider Murphy 4/20/02 - 10/31/10

I raced a horse until he was 13 and he retired completely sound. Even though we weren't too hard on him I gave him some down time before starting his event training. I swear he sighed the first time we put the saddle back on his back. He hated having nothing to do. I paid for 7 months of professional training before donating him to TRF to help him get a new home with a successful second career. That horse would have withered and died if thrown into a field and forgotten about.
    OP, thanks for sharing, don't let the asshats get you down.

1 members found this post helpful.

Lolita - I have gotten MANY horses from Jenarby after they are done with their racing careers. Every horse was personable, lovely to handle and work with. Why? Because Jenarby and her family nurture and support their horses, they get WHATEVER they need and are allowed to be who they are. The world needs more responsible race owners like this family.

You obviously have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

I own and have owned many many many OTTBs, generally they are BORED if just turned out with nothing to do. They've spent their entire lives being the center of attention, in busy environments and having jobs.

Jen went through all the time, consideration and trouble of retiring this campaigner, SOUND and sane and finding him an avenue with which to live a good life after the track. How dare you come here and mess all over that.
    True North Dressage
    Select Cheval Canadiens for dressage and eventing
    www.TrueNorthDressage.com

Quote Originally Posted by lolita1 View Post
    Look sorry may be not appreciated but this horse WON over $500k why is he being sent as a 10 or 11 year old off for his NEXT life. Hasn't he done enough why isn't he sitting in a paddock with the best food for the rest of his life. I don't think you have done any thing for him. That horse has paid his way for his entire life ....
    Lolita, you're way out of bounds.

First and foremost, while it's true that Folly won a half-million dollars over his career, he didn't win it all for Jen. Her people acquired him in the last stages of his career, and did right by him by retiring him and placing him with New Vocations.

Secondly, regarding the swimming - many disciplines use swimming for conditioning horses, it's a wonderful way to build condition without stressing joints. You can't impugn racing people here. Almost every discipline swims horses, and, as someone who was at a facility that had an equine pool, I can tell you that almost all of the horses liked swimming. They'd march willingly down the ramp and paddle off.

Finally, Thoroughbreds are people-oriented, busy horses. They fare best when they have a job and their brains - and bodies - are engaged. Horses coming off the track are used to a structured routine. Finding these guys new jobs after they're done running works out well for both horse and new owner.

My guy ran for five years, and I'm so lucky that he was rescued from slaughter and retrained. He's a fantastic horse, truly my dream come true. So thank goodness for people like Jen who know and understand the potential these horses have for second careers.

If you remain unconvinced, I hope that you consider the weight of the opposition to your views on this thread, and then reconsider your position on this subject.
    Don't wrassle with a hog. You just get dirty, and the hog likes it.

Collecting Thoroughbreds - tales of a re-rider and some TBs

What great article Jen! I am tickled that you were able to focus the article on retirement plans for Folly. It's such a huge issue on the forefront of track agenda's these days. Yet another example of how hard and smart Jen works to ensure a future for these retiring thoroughbreds.

As for sour grapes- everyone said it very well already. All I can add is my personal experience with Jen. She is an amazing horse woman. Jen has found many incredible horses for me. Many are now owned by COTH members. One thing that never fails is her judgment about who that individual is and what he/she would be happy doing in a second life. I have been thrilled with the horses that have come through Jen (at least 30). She is knowledgeable, tireless and compassionate. Jen positively impacts EVERY horse that is lucky enough to know her. For that matter, I am a better person for knowing her and counting her as a friend!
    Margaret/Maple Shade Farm
    www.mapleshadefarm.net

Every word of what JohnnysAuntie said.

The really GOOD TBs absolutely LOVE to have a job, and while I don't know Jenarby personally, she's been around on this and other TB forums long enough, with enough positive feedback from both racing TB people and sport TB people, for her reputation for doing right by the TBs to be pretty much beyond reproach in my book.

Lolita, you are WAY out of line and making yourself look undereducated.

Cheer up, Jen. It was a great article, a great tribute to a grand horse, and I hope he finds a cool new home and a job he likes!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I raced a horse until he was 13 and he retired completely sound. .
    Butcher! How could you!
    Totally, totally kidding.

I do not understand people becoming indignant that horses race into later years. I get calls pretty often that we have to "SAVE" so-and-so. I go look up said horse, and it's running for a 15K tag, happily and seemingly soundly, and most certainly doesn't need to be "saved".

If a horse is happy, healthy, sound, and wanting to do a job--they can DO THE JOB! Believe it or not, a good racehorses loves to race folks.

Jen, that was an awesome article, and good on you for taking such good care of horses--even horses that aren't your own.

Default jenarby finds homes for many exracers

Another response to lolita - After owning my first exracer and going through a really tough journey with him and all of his physical and emotional issues, I had a negative view of the industry. But I met jenarby when I looked for my next horse, and was incredibly impressed by her and her horses. She not only finds all of them good homes, but she also finds homes for many other exracers around her area. She took me to see about 50 horses in one day, it was pretty awesome!
    "The best horse doesn't always when the race."

Coax Me Mermaid, 2002 OTTB Mare
    22 starts, no wins, no places

By her no response to this thread, I guess she feels like the idiot she should!!
    (Lolita that is!)

Ignore her Jen-she ain't worth it.
    you look vaguely familiar.

"And somewhere -- wherever the racing gods live -- there was unabated laughter at this comeuppance. Karma's a Witch, babe, and so is the Triple Crown. "

Default I have to say.......

I'm going to chime in here also as jen helped place Harbor of Grace aka Billy at my farm. This warrior has had a glorious past and needed a retirement home fitting for his highness. jen emailed me his pic and the rest is history. I hope I can live up to his standards LOL The only thing is that Billy does not need a job. He is happy being a pasture pal to my other 3 OTTBs.

jen goes above and beyond to answer any question I have ever had and always just a phone call away whenever I need her. I'm proud to call her my friend.

Jen-

I just saw Folly on the New Vocations website. He looks fabulous!!!!

http://horseadoption.com/frazees-folly/

You can see in his eyes that this horse truly knows he is something else. I wish I had the extra money for a 2nd horse right now, I'd take this guy is a second

A little birdy told me that Folly has a new Mom!
    Yep, that took all of 1 week to find him a very pleased and lucky girl.

Congrats Folly!!
    And Thank you Jen for all that you do!
    Margaret/Maple Shade Farm
    www.mapleshadefarm.net

I adopted Frazee's Folly in February of 2009 from New Vocations. I googled his name recently and found this thread. I want to assure you that Folly is enjoying his new career being the love of my daughters life. She was 14 when we got him and for the last 5 years they have competed successfully in lower level dressage at our local schooling shows. He is an amazing animal and we are blessed to have him in our lives. He still loves having a "job" to do and has an incredible bond with my daughter. Jen has kept in touch with us through the years which shows an amazing dedication to the horses she has worked with. I'm so thankful she made it possible for him to be a part of our lives.

5 members found this post helpful.

Nice.

Yay!! Several horses I've had the pleasure of working with over the years have also been placed through NV. It's a great program! So glad to hear the Folly is doing so well!
    Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
    www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

Malm29, thank you for the happy and widely appreciated update.

Quote Originally Posted by Malm29 View Post
    I adopted Frazee's Folly in February of 2009 from New Vocations. I googled his name recently and found this thread. I want to assure you that Folly is enjoying his new career being the love of my daughters life. She was 14 when we got him and for the last 5 years they have competed successfully in lower level dressage at our local schooling shows. He is an amazing animal and we are blessed to have him in our lives. He still loves having a "job" to do and has an incredible bond with my daughter. Jen has kept in touch with us through the years which shows an amazing dedication to the horses she has worked with. I'm so thankful she made it possible for him to be a part of our lives.
    Obviously you are new to Coth. It is expressly forbidden on this board to post a cheery horse update without pictures
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

2 members found this post helpful.