The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Just wanted to share this

I talked with a reporter from The Bloodhorse last week about a horse my family retired in December. I thought this gelding deserved to have something written up about him since most people at Mountaineer know of him in one way or another. He ran until he was 11...winning his last start. We love him dearly and are excited to see what he'll do next in life. The article came out today so I wanted to share it. Some of the info is wrong (his last race was a 5k claimer....we got him in 2006....) but I thought it was still a nice story.
    http://news.bloodhorse.com/article/48871.htm?id=48871
    RIP Spider Murphy 4/20/02 - 10/31/10

Great article! And kudos to you and your family for making sure Folley has a great 'next life'.
    Member of My Balance is Poo Poo Clique

What a great article! I hope he has a happy retirement, he deserves it!

Wonderful story! I think we all find our once in a lifetime horse. I hope to keep mine one day. That'd be well worth all of it!

Good for you. I love happy endings.

what a beautiful horse!!! Best of luck in his retirement and new life and kudos to you!

Thank you! We do our best here to rehome all our horses to the right situation. I'm excited to go see the other two from our barn that are at NV. Folly is going tomorrow morning!

Talking I know Frazee too

I worked for Niall O'Callaghan when Frazee was two I believe, he was handsome then and now!!! I can't believe I stumbled accross the article accidentaly, but have forwarded it to to a bunch of my barn buddies who I worked with at the same outfit for, we all loved him! Can't believe he raced till that age! Big Kudos to you guys!!! What a special and lucky horse!!! Thank god for owners like you guys!!!! Say hi to the big guy!!
    Forward is good

Really cool story! Thanks for sharing!

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Very nice story!

Quote Originally Posted by summerly View Post
    I worked for Niall O'Callaghan when Frazee was two I believe, he was handsome then and now!!! I can't believe I stumbled accross the article accidentaly, but have forwarded it to to a bunch of my barn buddies who I worked with at the same outfit for, we all loved him! Can't believe he raced till that age! Big Kudos to you guys!!! What a special and lucky horse!!! Thank god for owners like you guys!!!! Say hi to the big guy!!
    Small world! Thanks for sharing that article with everyone! Any chance you have pics of him form back then? SOme of the trainers at MNR coulnd't belive how white he had gotten. They said he was nearly black as a youngster.

I dropped Folly off this morning at New Vocations. He traveled like a champ and settled right into his stall. I hope he's happy in his new home and wherever his new job takes him. He derserves a good life!

What a great story!!
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

What a wonderful story!! I hope whomever he lands with next will post updates on this board.

Major kudos to you for being so caring.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Look sorry may be not appreciated but this horse WON over $500k why is he being sent as a 10 or 11 year old off for his NEXT life. Hasn't he done enough why isn't he sitting in a paddock with the best food for the rest of his life. I don't think you have done any thing for him. That horse has paid his way for his entire life ....

Also swimming horse in the racing industry, usually indicates that they have leg problems great news for the new owner of a horse- they will most likely have no idea - gee it that WON more that $500k - and you . You really have done that horse proud hope you feel real good about the future of the horse and your self NOT

Quote Originally Posted by lolita1 View Post
    Also swimming horse in the racing industry, usually indicates that they have leg problems great news for the new owner of a horse- they will most likely have no idea - gee it that WON more that $500k - and you . You really have done that horse proud hope you feel real good about the future of the horse and your self NOT
    This is where you are showing your ignorance. Swimming a horse expands their lungs. Just because a horse swims it does NOT mean they have leg problems. In fact, I;d be happy to show you his ankle films that are 100% clean. Folly is extremely competitive. He loves to have a job. Do you think it is fair to him to sit out in a pasture and do nothing for the rest of his life? He could be someone's backyard trail horse. He could turn out to be a fantastic eventer. The reason why he has been donated to New Vocations is because they have such a large audience and they screen their adopters thoroughly. I feel they would do a better job of finding him a home for the rest of his life than I can. You don't think he deserves that much? Also...if you read the article you'd see he's been with 11 different racing stables. Any one of them could have retired him at any age but he LOVED his job, was sound and very happy. So unless you know this horse personally, or my family personally I think you need to back off because you really don't know anything.

MTA: I'd like to know when people like yopu are ever going to be happy? You bitch about race trainers dumping horses, bitch about rescues being too full to take them all in, then bitch when we do right by our horses. WTF? We rehome or sell our retired horses to new homes that love them and care for them how we would want them cared for. I volunteer for CANTER taking ads at Mountaineer and farms nearby. I've been doing this for years and years so don't you DARE say I didn't do right by Folly.

2 members found this post helpful.

I don't know what your problem is Lolita (maybe the name is a clue), but you do not know Jen. You have no idea about the scores of horses she has helped to place into wonderful loving homes, but she has. She helps horses every single day. She is constantly trying to find great homes for horses, belonging to other trainers as well, retiring from the track. You also don't know Folly. Folly thinks he is 3 and likes to have a job and to work. He would HATE sitting in a paddock with nothing to do. Have you ever had an ex-racer? Or better yet, what are you doing to help the situation? How many horses have you found wonderful homes for? Have you gone back and checked on them? Found out if they have been sold on?

Go to the Eventing board and ask about Jen, or go to exracer.com forums and ask about Jen. You would be hard pressed to find a better person or one more respected for matching horses with the perfect home. Sound or not, winning or not, she helps them all.
    Last edited by RacetrackReject; Jan. 24, 2009 at 09:30 AM. Reason: spelling

Look sorry may be not appreciated but this horse WON over $500k why is he being sent as a 10 or 11 year old off for his NEXT life.
    For the same reason other top athletes retire from their original sport and go on to do something else active and challenging. Most competitive beings are not happy just sitting around. They enjoy doing something new with their skills.

I've had a lot of horses off the track over the years. Not one of them would've been happy to simply hang out in a field. In fact, the older they are/the longer they've raced, the less happy they often are to just stand around. They race successfully a long time because they're INTO it, and they are generally happiest with a busy career after the track as well.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

OMG Lolita1, I didn't know you were so funny! You think a horse that has raced for 9 years is going to have leg problems? If a horse races that long, and he not only raced, he was winning, then those legs are solid steel. That's just a testament of his breeding, and the owners management and training. Those old campaigners are tough, tough, tough, and with a work ethic that makes a workaholic turn green with envy. I only wish I was in the market for a new horse, Folly would be at the top of my list.

Look sorry may be not appreciated but this horse WON over $500k why is he being sent as a 10 or 11 year old off for his NEXT life. Hasn't he done enough why isn't he sitting in a paddock with the best food for the rest of his life. I don't think you have done any thing for him. That horse has paid his way for his entire life ....
    You're right, it's NOT appreciated. It would be appreciated however if you kept your ignorance to yourself.

You don't know Jen and you don't know Folly, your comments are totally unwarranted and hurtful. Jen and her family are the perfect example of how trainers and owners should be. They do everything in their power to ensure that the horses they own and train have a quality life once they retire them.

Go somewhere else if you're going to post about things you know nothing about.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"