The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How far do you drive?

in an attempt to justify moving my horse to a location a bit further from home base...i am curious how far everyone else travels to get to their horse…if you do it daily and if you only go when you have purpose, ex: only if you're going to ride or if you have to do work at the barn versus just going to give your horse a pet on the face....

1.5 hrs each way , I see them about once a month. They are retired.

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

An hour one way... no driving there just to pet his face usually although I would loff to.
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

45 minutes. I go about once a week right now in the winter, mainly due to not having a car at the moment, plus by the time I get out of work and could get to the barn it's late, dark and cold anyway. In the summer I go out just about every day though, since I'm a teacher. I haven't ridden a whole lot lately when I go out, I am okay with driving that distance just to give him a pet and knock the mudsicles off of him. I just feel all wrong if I don't get to see him at least once a week, and I'm a lot happier in summer when I can spend all day at the barn. So I guess I average out the cost of driving out there in the summer with saving on gas in the winter.

21 miles east of my house. Only problem is that I work about 25 miles WEST of my house... so I double back on myself if I decide to go to the barn. It works though Weekend trips out there aren't a big deal.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

20-30 minutes to the barn

Roughly 1 hour each way; I generally get there 3 days a week.

I have driven as far as 1.5 hours to simply ride at a boarding stable .... whilst working 70 hours per week (meaning, no trainer involved). That was crazy, but I had just moved and hadn't found a new place yet. I did it for nearly a year ... it was not fun and I am amazed my husband put up with it 6 days a week ... even with cheap gas... that was still just nuts!

Now, I only board out a few months in winter (no trainer involved, tho I am fortunate to have an excellent instructor). I try to keep the drives within 40 minutes ... This is a terrible thing to say, but I want them that close so I can check on them even on days I don't ride (while I've had many a good boarding experience, others reinforced the concept that a "daily check" never hurts!!).

Magnum
    "If you don't know where you're going, you'll end up somewhere else."

About 1/2 hour from work, but an hour back to my home. I make it out 2-3 times a week, and there have been times where it was less if the weather is foul. I generally can't get myself out the door to go if I have to go to and from home.

I am willing to keep it up because I really love where she is at, but honestly, it drains an awful lot of my free time. If I had to go every day to make sure she was ok, it would get old very quickly. I doubt that I would do it unless the barn was pretty much perfect in every way.

And yes, I do find it nearly impossible to get out for a pat on the nose, although if my mare liked having her nose patted, I would certainly make more of an effort! Fortunately, they are set up very well for groundwork, so even if I don't feel like riding, there is always something worthwhile to do.

45 minutes from home. In summer I'm usually there five or six days a week unless it's raining or something. In winter I go up maybe once a week.

I drive an hour and 15 minutes each way. Usually go 4 days a week - 3 in the winter. Today I hadn't been there since Saturday because of 2 snowy days, so I drove out just to check on her - didn't even take her out of the pasture! LOL.
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

I'm very fortunate. 5 miles via car or I can ride through the Forest Preserve on my bicycle. The distance is about the same. I am a lucky girl.
    Lilykoi

Hell hath no fury like the chestnut thoroughbred mare

Same distance as Lilykoi. No biking though unless you wish to die.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

New barn looks like it's going to be about 20 mins coming home and about 30 minutes getting there in rush hour. It's about 13 miles away. I'm there every night.

for dear daughter's sweet mare, we drive 45-50 minutes each way. for the cranky old retired guy who is the love of my live, it is an 1.5 hour drive each way. dd sees her mare 5 days a week. i am very lucky to see the old man every couple of months.

About 30 min one way, so an hour for a round trip. It is about double the distance of the farm where I previously kept her. Unfortunately, when the farm was sold where I kept her before(private farm-I was the only boarder/self care) all the other farms in the area were full board or I didn't care for the facility. I have my mare on pasture board and not many quality boarding farms around here do pasture board. I find that I'm not quite so inclined to just run out if I don't plan on riding or doing some project like cleaning out trailer etc. I definitely don't go out more than once per day.

The longest drive I ever had to the barn was 75 miles each way. I ride 3-5 days per week. It certainly racked up the miles on my car! My barn commute is much shorter now- about 40 minutes each way.
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

My current barn is about 20 minutes away. I go every other day weather permitting. I definitely schedule grocery or any other supply stops on these days to remain "driveless" the "non barn" day to conserve time & gas.

This is the farthest I've ever traveled to a boarding barn. I try keeping the distance short in case I have to administer meds or tend wounds, driving more frequently.

When I lived in Worcester MA, my horse was 5 miles away....good thing because I'd frequently have to stop before/after work and lunchtime to give her eye ointment when she'd have a uvietis flare up.

I am lucky because my guy is just 10 minutes away. And yes I drive there just to give him a pat. I try to make it everyday but during school I get there about 3-4 times a week because sometimes I have class all day and work all night with no gap.

18 miles each way...not bad, but there's a ferry in the middle.