The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default MSM and daily wormer, is it safe?

I think I read somewhere that you should not give MSM if you horse is on Daily wormer. Is that true? What problems would it cause, if any? My two are on Grand hoof and Daily wormer but my mare will not eat the Grand hoof powder. I was thinking of switching her to the pellets but they have MSM. Thanks for any answers.

I believe some, or maybe all, the DWs say not to use MSM with them.

I had four horses on the daily and also on MSM. One horse had a bad reaction - hers was very quick weight loss and loss of condition. She started looking terrible so I had my vet come out. He said he had another patient with the same reaction to the use of both MSM and daily wormer. I asked him if I should take mine off the daily and go back to the paste and he said to take them of fthe MSM instead since he didn't feel it did much of anything for them anyway. So I took them off the MSM and sure enough my mare's condition went back to normal! Odd, I thought. It was a while ago so I can't remember exactly what he said, but it had something to do with the combination of the daily and the sulfur in MSM.
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

Yep, it's the sulfur that is suspected to hyper-activate the pyrantel tartrate and damage the kidneys (liver? one of those LOL).

None of the daily wormers advise not using MSM. I've given both to my horses for years without problems - hope I'm not jinxing it.

I have seen a DW labeled to avoid the use of supplemental MSM, now I have to find it.

I use both on several horses without any ill effects

Quote Originally Posted by Buffyblue View Post
    I had four horses on the daily and also on MSM. One horse had a bad reaction - hers was very quick weight loss and loss of condition. She started looking terrible so I had my vet come out. He said he had another patient with the same reaction to the use of both MSM and daily wormer. I asked him if I should take mine off the daily and go back to the paste and he said to take them of fthe MSM instead since he didn't feel it did much of anything for them anyway. So I took them off the MSM and sure enough my mare's condition went back to normal! Odd, I thought. It was a while ago so I can't remember exactly what he said, but it had something to do with the combination of the daily and the sulfur in MSM.
    Do you recall which brand name of DW'er? I recently changed from Continuex to Strongid and Jake is NQR about two weeks later...hmmm...no more MSM til I sort this out!

I looked at the Continuex label and didn't see anything about MSM. I've recently switched to plain MSM from Fluid Action due to an ulcer problem, because I'd read ulcers and Glucosamine aren't a good combo. I think it has MSM as well. I've not had any problems prior to reading this. More info please!

I just checked a recently the label on a purchased canister of Strongid C. There is no such warning on the label. I also ran a search through the articles posted on www.thehorse.com and nothing connecting the two in the same article came up.

I googled it and found one reference that questioned if the DW'er was made less effective by the MSM. The Vet that replied said there was no evidence to that effect. I also e-mailed Smart-Pak to see if the knew of any problems, waiting for a reply on that.

I can understand that certain horses can have sensitivities that may not show up in the majority of cases...it may be one of those *fluke* things. Something to rule out though if you are feeding the two products and your horse is having an unexplainable issue. If cutting out one of them solves the problem there you have it!

Thanks to everyone for checking their labels and searching websites!

I have fed both for over a year and have never had a problem. Straight MSM and Strongid C2X. There is no warning on the label.

Thanks for all the replys! I don't think I will take a chance on both then, as this mare has some other problems as it is. I will try another hoof supplement and hopefully she will eat it. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Honu View Post
    I think I read somewhere that you should not give MSM if you horse is on Daily wormer. Is that true? What problems would it cause, if any? My two are on Grand hoof and Daily wormer but my mare will not eat the Grand hoof powder. I was thinking of switching her to the pellets but they have MSM. Thanks for any answers.
    I've fed both Strongid C2X and Continuex for the past 5 years along w/ Grand Hoof Pellets and Hylasport-both contain msm and never had a problem...nor have i ever come across any warnings advising against it

I use Strongid C2X. The MSM I was using at the time was the Vitaflex MSM (powdered in a jar). I haven't used MSM since on any horse, but still use the daily. I have my horse on the Farrier's Formula for a hoof supplement.
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!