The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thumbs down We need to STOP THIS

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=RM1I8A...eature=related

This youtube clip is not for the faint of heart or weak stomached. It is put simply... an appalling example of extreme cruelty to horses and other animals. It is six minutes long. I am stuck at 1 minute and trying to find the strength to watch the rest.

How can this be allowed to happen?

WHAT CAN WE DO?!!!!

American penal systems are supposed to rehabilitate criminals, so that they may some day return to society. However, in Oklahoma prisons the administrators can be worse criminals than the prisoners.

This video exposes the criminal abuse and corruption of the Oklahoma Prison Rodeo, and the shameful, indefensible animal cruelty that occurs.

Please call the Oklahoma Governor and the Director of the Prisons and ask them to stop sponsoring this cruel prison rodeo. It is an outrage that tax payer money is used to pay for this brutality.

For more information, go to PrisonRodeoAbuse.com

Oklahoma Governor Brad Henry
    Telephone: (405) 521-2342

Justin Jones, Director, Department of Corrections
    3400 Martin Luther King Avenue
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73111-4298
    Phone: (405) 425-2505
    Fax: (405) 425-2578
    Email: justin.jones@doc.state.ok.us

Marty Sirmons, Warden
    P.O. Box 97
    McAlester, OK 74502-0097
    Phone: (918) 423-4700
    Fax: (918) 423-3862
    Email: marty.sirmons@doc.state.ok.us

Totally inexcusable. Despicable and disgusting.

The first minute isn't even the tip of the iceberg. I am appalled. The video is obviously anti-rodeo which I am not but this is unacceptable. I tried to do some research into it. Was this from last years rodeo? Something does need to be done because obviously things need to be changed at this particular rodeo.

For the record I am NOT anti rodeo AND it is NOT my intention that this become a rodeo bashing thread. That is FAR from the point.

Something needs to be done.

This thread is a start, but except for the horse with 2 broken legs, which part is not just regular rodeo?

I saw calf roping, wild horse race, bucking events. . . That's rodeo.

I couldn't finish watching it either, and believe you me, I'm well-versed in what GOOD rodeo is supposed to look like. This ain't it.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

What the f*ck is this?? Seriously, WHAT THE F*CK IS THIS? This is the most disgusting video I have ever seen. There is no respect or care for any of the animals in this video. I can't even understand what they are trying to accomplish. I am completely outraged. This stuff makes me hate the human race.

Quote Originally Posted by equinelaw View Post
    This thread is a start, but except for the horse with 2 broken legs, which part is not just regular rodeo?

I saw calf roping, wild horse race, bucking events. . . That's rodeo.
    I'm sorry, but did you not see the *I think* calf being drug at full speed by a horse, flopping around? And I've never been to a rodeo where five people on bulls/broncs are released into the arena at once.

Do you mean to say that the buckskin horse that galloped like crazy around the stadium dragging the roped calf behind him is normal as well? If that's the case, this rodeo and others like it is even more sickening!

I watched the whole video and this IS criminal. Neglecting a dog is, keeping an animal for prolonged periods of time on a short chain is, etc. And people go to jail for those kinds of animal abuse cases. What is not criminal about this?

Spaghetti Legs, thanks for posting the link. I was unaware and will write to the 2 individuals mentioned.

this is sick. it breaks my heart to see any animal treated to this degree on inhumanity. cruelty needs to be stopped.
    proud owner of a crazy dutch warmblood

I actually have not been to a rodeo in many years. I went to one at Frying Pan Park in the early 80's. It was a traveling show type deal. Looked that this one to me. Never went back.

In the late 90's I lived at a farm where the Auburn Rodeo team lived and practiced. Same stuff I see in the video.

The only other things I know about rodeo are what I see on You-tube and read about on COTH. And yes, not every calf roping goes smoothly, this is not the first I have heard of the wild horse race and no, I have never seen the gang bucking bronc thing.

But I think if you want to complain you have to be specific about what is and is not normal. I am happy to hear this is not what most people see at rodeos.

What is the problem? Lack of skill? The actual events? Lack of supervision?

Oh my stars! That was a horrible example of a rodeo, and of so-called horsemen. I couldn't even finish watching the video, I stopped after the bay colt broke his legs. This type of cruelty is exactly why I love my critters so much more than humans!

The video was definitely anti-rodeo which I am not! However, that farce of a rodeo needs to be stopped permanently and whoever was in charge outta be taken out behind the woodshed and beaten.

Personally, I think that every single lowly excuse for a human who saw that poor colt with broken legs suffering and didn't do a damn thing about it needs to be beaten to within an inch of their lives then have to look into that baby's eyes while they have to put him down and be haunted by that look forever. That colt could have been put down where he stood easily. For pete's sake, they were in a PRISON! I know there was a guard with a rifle around somewhere!

There is no excuse whatsoever for cruelty to animals, especially to this degree!

I will be writing to the folks in charge about this. Anyone else?
    Devil Pup 13 May 2010
    Veni, vidi, nates calce concidi
    Molly~4yo Blue Heeler & Dakota Nov 09 Baby Heeler

I read the comments on the thread and decided I couldn't stand to watch it.

They have a smallish rodeo north of me in the summer that I used to attend every single year like clockwork. Since we moved I haven't been, as it's quite a drive. Nice rodeo. Many years ago we were there watching and having a grand ol time (they have the best rodeo clown, he's a hoot.) They had the wild horse race, which is awful in itself, those horses are so scared and confused. This one group of men was practically on top of this little bay filly/mare the minute they opened the chute. One tried to go for an ear and the others were blocking her way out into the arena, but she got by them and they were hot on her tail. If I remember right they grabbed an ear again, but she evaded, reared up and went all the way over HARD (you could hear the impact, it was horrible.) There this poor little scared horse laid twitching in the dirt. She'd fractured her skull and was put down right where she laid. Totally senseless and never should have happened. The picture of her laying there is still in my head after all these years. I'll never forget that little mare. BUT, because of that incident, they no longer have the wild horse race, thank God!!

Around that same time, I was working for a barn in exchange for pasture board. The BO's daughter's BF was a steer wrestler. He had a great little QH gelding that he and his buddies used at different rodeos and in practice. In his early teens and really in his prime as far as rodeo horses go. He and his buddy's had gone to a rodeo. He had ridden and it was time for one of his buddies to go. Guy got the steer and the horse ran to the end of the arena, as he should. But when the rider got up to go get him something was VERY wrong. He had broken a foreleg and was standing there 3-legged w/ his broken leg dangling. His owner and others had already ran to his side to keep him calm and assess the injury. He was put down and because he loved working cows so much, the owners of the grounds where the rodeo was held allowed him to bury him right there on their property. It was so sad, but it happens even when things are seemingly going right.

W/in that same year he lost his other cow horse (my gelding's pasturemate) after he got cast under the pasture gate, colicked and was put down. My gelding was standing watch over him until he was removed. He was a nice boy, too.
    A Merrick N Dream Farm
    Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique

There is no respect or care for any of the animals in this video.

When did the theme of respect or care for animals go hand in hand with rodeo??

Oh yeah, they had this same event at the Calgary stampede every year. Crowd loves it. Humanity at it's best. Funny though, none of us seem to care when this is done to the calves.

THIS is why I say that the whole theme and point of rodeo is the degradation and domination of animals by human beings. WHY the hell would anyone here defend it and why the hell would anyone want to pay to watch such complete SHIT??
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

That.was.terrible.

I can't believe they did NOTHING (although maybe the horse was PTS behind the trailer...I hope).

However, abuse occurs in every equine sport from Western Pleasure to Eventing. When this happens, we need to stand up and speak out.
    Boarding for Show, Pleasure, and Retirement horses. www.LockeMeadows.com

However, abuse occurs in every equine sport from Western Pleasure to Eventing. When this happens, we need to stand up and speak out.

Yes, except it is not required in the other sports. Rodeo requires abuse. It's sole existance is based on dominating some terrified animal wether it be some calf that is hung around its neck and flipped over violently or a wild horse who is spurred and banged everytime someone sits on its back or a wild horse that is supposed to be dominated and ridden such as in this video. Dominance and violence is the name of the game with rodeo..in every single activity outside of barrel racing.
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

Quote Originally Posted by Donella View Post

Yes, except it is not required in the other sports. Rodeo requires abuse. It's sole existance is based on dominating some terrified animal wether it be some calf that is hung around its neck and flipped over violently or a wild horse who is spurred and banged everytime someone sits on its back or a wild horse that is supposed to be dominated and ridden such as in this video. Dominance and violence is the name of the game with rodeo..in every single activity outside of barrel racing.
    Uh, no...rodeo doesn't require abuse...but then, abuse is different things to different people. To PETA, abuse is "owning" a horse and sitting on it's back. To some people, eating meat is abuse and eggs are tanamount to a modern-day Auschwitz for chickens.

Bucking horses are expensive and not "wild", Bullriding bulls are very expensive and not abused at all. She likes barrel racing, how special. How about pole bending, western equitation, goat roping, cutting horses?

Dominance, dominance and violence...sounds like more a problem with males than rodeo (or it's a surrogate to hate...the only good rodeo is the mostly female rodeo class).

We need to stop what? PETA from making horribly outlandish videos? People from taking a bad thing and exaggerating it to be how it is everywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    Dominance, dominance and violence...sounds like more a problem with males than rodeo (or it's a surrogate to hate...the only good rodeo is the mostly female rodeo class).
    If Lane Frost's last ride is on the 'net somewhere, I bet she's found it and runs it on a non-stop loop. No doubt she approves highly of that sort of "dominance and violence".

This needs to be sent to every TV show, Dateline, 20/20, 60 minutes, someone, please send this to these news outlets. NOW!!!!!!!

I am not so computer savvy to figure out how to link all the info
    Last edited by gammillgirl; Jan. 21, 2009 at 09:54 AM. Reason: why I asked someone else to send it out!