The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Disposal of Manure

I have been able to spread manure on a neighboring field. Due to a death in the family, I no long can do this. I do not like to spread the manure on the field as I can not rotate the fields very well.

I do have a manure spreader, it is not PTO driven.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or other options from disposing of it.

Thanks

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Well, I think it depends on how big your field is and how much manure.

I have a big 9 acre undivided pasture, with three horses that are stalled for 8 hours at night. I spread the stall cleanings every other day (when the Newer Spreader is full) right in the pasture. The horses do not eat where the fresh manure is, and there is plenty of other grass for them to eat while the freshly spread manure dries out.

I have been doing this for 4 1/2 years, I don't use fertilizer or weed killers, just mowing and spreading manure, and my pasture looks 200% better than it did when we bought the farm.

Another option is to create a compost manure pile, and wait to spread it after it has composted.

Where I used to board they had a compost pile and sold the manure to gardeners!

I have 4 compost piles that I rotate from fresh to aged (turned with small Kabota) and we recently started giving it away by advertising on Craigs List. It's been great-we load the truck or trailer for the owners with the compost and every one is happy-less work for them, less work for us!!

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Default Hijack!

MumchkinsMom: how do you like your Newer Spreader? Do you have the newer model?
    I've been tempted to buy one for years.

for the OP:
    I have 2 horses on around 3ac of pasture. Right now I compost manure then spread it manually by loading the dumpcart attached to my lawntractor and spreading the piles dumped with a rake. Ugh

Think I'll go start a Newer Spreader thread....
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    MumchkinsMom: how do you like your Newer Spreader? Do you have the newer model?
    I've been tempted to buy one for years.

for the OP:
    I have 2 horses on around 3ac of pasture. Right now I compost manure then spread it manually by loading the dumpcart attached to my lawntractor and spreading the piles dumped with a rake. Ugh

Think I'll go start a Newer Spreader thread....
    I LOVE my Newer Spreader, best money I ever spent. I bought it 4 years ago, only had to replace one part in all that time. No, it is not the newer (bigger) model, but I only have 3 horses, and since they don't spend a lot of time indoors, not a lot of manure to deal with from the stalls. I did get the agitator for the inside, when I got tired of jumping off the lawn tractor to poke it down with a stick. That eliminated that problem. Their customer service is great, called about the part, and it was delivered in two days (well, I live about an hours drive from the factory).

Default Double hijack

Munchkinsmom,

Do you have any issues with bedding or hay getting caught in the agitator?

OP, you can also pay to have manure removed. Maybe not a great option, but it's an option.
    If you cannot set a good example, at least serve as a terrible warning....

Quote Originally Posted by CanterQueen View Post
    Munchkinsmom,
    Do you have any issues with bedding or hay getting caught in the agitator?
    When I was feeding hay, yes occasionally it would get wrapped around the very middle of the agitator, (I was feeding coastal hay), but not very often, and it was not to hard to remove it (used a hoof pick with a brush on the other side).

I would try not top put large quantities of hay in the stall cleanings.

Thanks, Munchkinsmom. We've been thinking about getting one (we have just 3 horses and a mini-donkey). Maybe this will be my next B-Day gift!!
    If you cannot set a good example, at least serve as a terrible warning....

Quote Originally Posted by CanterQueen View Post
    Thanks, Munchkinsmom. We've been thinking about getting one (we have just 3 horses and a mini-donkey). Maybe this will be my next B-Day gift!!
    Glad I am not the only one that gets big horse related items for gifts! Several years ago I ordered an Access Cover for the bed of my pickup, and when it came in, my friend that was going to install it called the house to tell me that it was in, my DH took the call, and paid for it himself, giving it to me for Mother's Day. Almost the best Mother's Day gift I ever got!

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Thumbs up Thanks MunchkinsMom!

Now I can even justify the expense as I wouldn't need the larger - more costly - model.
    See? I just saved $200

Now I'm going to their website to drool and plan for Spring.....
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

A friend makes a pile in the middle of a lot and the horses come in from their paddocs to use it as a bathroom.
    They love to play king of the mountain on it and take naps on it.

Once a month a smaller dump truck comes in and they load it with the bucket on the tractor, which takes maybe 20 minutes and it is hauled off somewhere.

Since we generally are very dry here, it works well for them.

I fill up to five manure buckets, which may take a week or two and take them to a ditch, or put it in the tractor bucket and spread it in the field by dumping it a little bit at the time as I am moving, smoothing any later that may have dumped too much in one place.

I am thinking of getting a smaller ground driven spreader, TSC has them here, but boy, they are very expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by regeventer View Post
    Where I used to board they had a compost pile and sold the manure to gardeners!
    Ditto. We trade our composted pile to the local nursery for red mulch, plants, etc. It's a win, win situation for us!
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com