The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Confo/Prospect critique, please! - UPDATE!

Just as the title says, looking for a confo critique on this prospect. She's a TB, coming 4 this April, 15.3, and unbroke. Seller says she is sound and quiet with no vices. I'm going to see her in person this weekend, but thought it'd be helpful to hear some other opinions in the mean time.

I'm looking for a project that will keep me busy for a couple years. Not necessarily an UL prospect, but something with the potential for at least training, ideally prelim+ would be nice (but not absolutely necessary).

Duh, pictures. Sorry!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...y/DSC01481.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...y/DSC01485.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...y/DSC01487.jpg
    Last edited by Heinz 57; Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:56 AM.

Where's the picture or the link?
    Altamont Sport Horses
    Trakehners * Knabstruppers * Appaloosa Sport Horses
    Home of stallions: Ambrosius af Asgard "Atlantis" & Hollywood Hot Spot
    Birmingham, AL

I don't like her hind end much. Very short croup. Sickle hocked.

She has a pleasant look, but I think you can find something a little more athletic conformation wise.
    Sarah in New Hampshire
    My Blog - Adventures in Eventing

She has a very sweet face. But...her hind end is not going to hold up for you, especially looking at the 3rd photo. I could be wrong but to me this photo screams SI and hock pain in the not too distant future. Also her neck set is a little too low and the shoulder is nothing special. Too bad because she does look like a sweetheart.

I think you should keep looking.
    Altamont Sport Horses
    Trakehners * Knabstruppers * Appaloosa Sport Horses
    Home of stallions: Ambrosius af Asgard "Atlantis" & Hollywood Hot Spot
    Birmingham, AL

Ummm - rather than go into 1000 words or more on 'why' - simply said - I'd pass.

Nothing positive to say - sorry but keep looking . . .

That is a weak looking hind end. I dont see her holding up well to jumping just based on that.

Can someone explain why it looks like a weak hind end and why you think it would cause her problems? I'd love to learn more about this. What is 'not special' about her shoulder, or, more specifically, what would make it 'special?'

I like her in the first two pics. In the second pic it looks like she's a bit straight behind but not horrible. The third pic I just think was a bad shot. It makes her quarters look like crap and she really does look sickle hocked in it. I suspect it is just the photo and the stance she had at that moment because the other two appear to be fine.
    I certainly think she'd be worth a look especially if she's not to much $$$

In the first pic, the hind leg bearing weight is cut out below the hock and theres too much angle in the pastern. Same with the second, the hind leg bearing the weight looks overangulated. And the last one shows her standing square but under herself, and both hind legs look weak from the pastern angle up through the hock joints and gaskins.

I'd pass too.

The whys of conformation - First photo her hind pasterns look very long and very sloped. Think of how much weight they will bear and a longer, shallow slope will be weaker. Take a pencil and experiment with how strong it is based on how steep the angle is. \ is stronger than - (hard to draw in these boxes)

The second she looks 'camped out' behind, so she has no support directly under her butt - again, that angled pencil - strong straight up and down, weak if sloped.

Third, she is standing under herself - if you drop a line from her hock to the ground, a strong leg will have the plumb line following her leg. This mare's leg is angled forward and away from the hock. Again, very weak.

In all 3 photos she appears to stand with her front legs set too far back under her body, making her look like she's leaning forward all the time. Her 'line of support' is supposed to be at the very least directly under her withers, and better/stronger if it is in front of the withers.

Poor girl has a lovely expression, but was put together very unfortunately.

I think she's adorable, but I'll agree with others who would steer this particular horse toward a less demanding career. Her long slopey pasterns and long gaskin are not what you want in an eventing horse, though I don't think she'll break down doing it--I just don't think it would be easy for her.

Fortunately, this proved to be one of those not-so-rare times where a horse photographs horribly and you are pleasantly surprised when you see them in person. Since those photos were taken, she's grown and evened out some, although I suspect she's not done growing.

She's straight and clean, although in need of more weight and the muscle that will come with regular work. Despite that, she was absolutely smitten with herself on the lunge line, bucking here and there and playing a bit before settling down to work. She's somewhat of a huntery mover, very floaty, and for a coming four year old with no training and no conditioning, has the absolute best canter i've seen on baby in a long time. Very naturally balanced. She's hot a little bit of an attitude on her, and needs some work and tlc, for sure.

She's a sweet girl, but definitely has a little fire in her eye. Rarely do I get goosebumps when looking at horses, but this one did. I have a good feeling about her.

She comes home with me in a few days for the high price of $400.

Pictures will follow as soon as she arrives.

well, Im going to go against the grain and tell you that I really like her a lot. I buy and sell a lot of TBs and I would buy her based on that one good photo. I would just ring and have her delivered lol.

I do like her a lot and am curious to know what she looks like with some work.

Thats not to say her confo is perfect, but then Im probably not the right person to ask...Im never that fussy about confo given that my best horse got 30% score haha, and she's a freak of a jumper, super sound, and beautiful on the flat ;-)

Well congratulations then on your new horse

We'd all love to see new pics once you get her home with some groceries!
    Sarah in New Hampshire
    My Blog - Adventures in Eventing

Thank you! There will definitely be pictures when she gets here - it should be early this week. The mare turns out to be owned by a H/J trainer that is a friend of my old trainer. Apparently her husband relocated for work and doesn't know she owns these horses, so she's trying to find them homes asap, before he does find out.

I'm just sure I need to go shopping now... She'll need some blankies, for sure, and a new bridle, too - her little head is definitely not going to fit into my horse sized bridles, and I gave away or sold all my cob sized stuff last year.