The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Things your Trainer/instructor wish you knew...

I thought this would be a fun thread.

I'll start off with a few:

• Yes, it really IS a bother when you call and cancel a lesson an hour before our scheduled time.

• My lesson horses ARE in fact horses.....not 4 wheelers.

• Just because you read it on the Internet does not make it true, or OK for you or your horse.

• Chances are that if I say "close your leg" or "put your heels down" you may actually need to try doing just that.

• Not all six year olds are mature enough for an hour long lesson. (actually, most are not)

Next.......

(and I don't mean for the above to sound like I'm complaining - I love my clients, and I love my job - it was mostly said tongue in cheek. Mostly. )
    The Equine Wellness and Nutrition FB Group - Come join us!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/equinewellness/

If I ask you to do something it is because I think you can, not because
    I am setting you up to fail. If you don't have confidence in me, then you
    need a new instructor.

A 10:00 lesson means you should be up and moving around before that time
    (unless you want me to teach you how to warm up) Do not show up at
    10:00 and start tacking up then.

No, I will not teach you if your horse is 'off'.

Don't interrupt other peoples lessons - wait for a break to ask a question
    (unless my horse is colicing or cast or running down the driveway)

Please pay for your lessons on time unless we have made monthly
    arrangements, lessons fees are due when services are rendered.

If you don't feel what I am asking you to feel, be honest so that I can
    find another way to explain it to you. Don't just hope it will magically
    come to you. It is a bit like math - if you don't understand multiplication,
    we can't ever get to calculus.

Dot

Things your Trainer/instructor wish you knew...

Hummm....

I can only imagine.

Let's put it this way. I shared a lesson with a fellow boarder Sunday, and actually, it went very well, considering the fits and starts of the weather (we were doing exercizes to supple and strengthen, ended with trot-halt-reinback-canter). And when I got off, I asked, "How many times do you just wish you could come and smack me upside the head?"
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

.. that I will never, ever ask you a trick question.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I have taught many lessons over the years and while I do admit it can be frustrating at times you can't forget that if the student can do everything perfectly, he or she doesn't need a teacher. So we work through trouble spots and hopefully go on to the next skill, but the learning never ends if we can help it.

how to listen to your horse

I try to be very positive in all of my posts, so I hope this doesn't come across as negative, but here is something that students wish their instructors knew.

Whatever the problem, please try to go at it without starting with a negative. Starting off by telling a rider what they are doing wrong, will, I guarantee, shut down the rider's confidence and her/his desire to take small risks in learning. Many of us have been there and know what I'm talking about.

I learned this expression from my martial arts training, which is at least as tough as riding.

When teaching someone, there is a time-honoured forumula for building confidence and seeing consistent results:

1. Say what's good about what the rider is doing (there must be something)
    2. Make the adjustment, explaining as you help the person through it
    3. Say what is now better

A little praise goes a long way in helping a rider who is struggling to learn.

Just because (insert name of famous rider the student has never actually met or ridden with here) says it, doesn't mean that's what you should do with your horse

how to read their mind.

Yes, I would love to build individual paddocks with no trees, lots of grass, and perfect footing. Would you like to give the 40k it will take to do that?
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Just because the jump standards go up to 4' AND you have a horse AND your mother has told how you really, really, really, really, really want to jump that high - doesn't mean I will let you!

I wish I had a dollar for every "my daughter is very good and has jumped 3' courses" and then falls off the first time you ask her to trot withour stirrups

Quote Originally Posted by MoonWitch View Post
    Just because the jump standards go up to 4' AND you have a horse AND your mother has told how you really, really, really, really, really want to jump that high - doesn't mean I will let you!

I wish I had a dollar for every "my daughter is very good and has jumped 3' courses" and then falls off the first time you ask her to trot withour stirrups

LOVE it!!
    The Equine Wellness and Nutrition FB Group - Come join us!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/equinewellness/

Quote Originally Posted by MoonWitch View Post
    I will never forget driving up my driveway one evening and seeing two sets of standards set at over 4'. Since none of my students were jumping over 3'3" during lessons, I had to find out who had the jumps that high. Finally, one of my teens ratted out the other. As it turns out, her and her horse jumped 4'3" fairly well. However, this was also the same kid (13yo), that jumped her medium pony 3'6" and made is look effortless. I learned that sometimes I hold my students back a little too much. Picture is of student on her super-pony.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CaitlinDollyOct18th08.JPG 
Views:	161 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	23928  
    Member of the "I Ride A Chestnut Thoroughbred Mare, So You Don't Scare Me Clique"

If your horse is doing something "bad" or "naughty" there is a good chance it is because of something you are doing. I'm not making that up to make you feel bad about yourself, I'm trying to help you fix it. I swear.

The reason your horse doesn't want a bridle on is because of how you apply it to his face. I have three like this right now.

Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Things your Trainer/instructor wish you knew...

Hummm....

I can only imagine.
    Oh I'm sure my trainer/instructor has a good laugh after my lesson is over. But honestly, I do try.

If I ask you to make a position change, please make a significant position change, so I don't have to ask you over and over again for more. We will make progress with less wear and tear on everyone, including the horse, if you try a more extreme adjustment right off the bat.

Default Oh - another one!

"Well, my last trainer told me...." which is exactly why you aren't not still with this wonderful person????

Wonderful quotes from a worldly 13yo who can't see a spot to save her life

Quote Originally Posted by LockeMeadows View Post
    Picture is of student on her super-pony.
    I WISH - better yet - she wished she looked like this!

This from a lesson when I was a kid:

When your pony is bolting and I holler "right rein" I mean turn the dang pony's head to the right, not wiggle your fingers in a vague little movement.

I have to say as an adult, the most useful instructors I have had use measurements to indicate things. Not "raise your hands" but "raise your hands up 4 inches". I was years into re-rider lessons before a lovely instructor stood at the horse's head, took the reins in her hands as if she were the horse's mouth, and showed me exactly how much (or little) contact I should have with the horse's mouth. It was exceedingly enlightening!