The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default ATTN CALIFORNIANS - proposed tax on vet services! (HR)

I have done a search and have not seen this discussed. (Please excuse me if it has.)

The Governor has proposed to close the budget gap by extending the sales tax to cover all veterinary services.

Do you want to pay more for veterinary services? Yikes, my horsey vet bills are big enough!!

Plus, shelters and rescue organizations would have to pay more, making it harder for them to do their good work.

Be an activist! You can voice your opinion on this (and believe me, it does make a difference!) by calling the Governor’s hotline and voting yes or no. It will take two minutes and is all automated so you don’t even have to talk to a live person.

The number to call is 916-445-2841.

The answering machine will direct you, just make sure you:

press 1: for English

press 5 : “calling to voice your opinion on a current hot issue”,

press 1: “the proposition to extend the sales tax to cover veterinary services”,

then press 2: “in opposition to the proposition”.

Here are some links:

https://community.hsus.org/campaign/...9_vet_fidofine

http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/dvm.../detail/565223
    I used to collect lunchboxes...now I collect horses...

"Are you hopping today?" ....fave quote from Mr. lunchbox

I think this is probably the least of California's worries at the moment.

The Southern California freeway system, stuck in an endless commute

Quote Originally Posted by silver2 View Post
    Snork! You've got that right. Gawd, I love my native state, if only for the weather at times, but it's a perfect example of legislation by ballot box. (Can we please just stop that already??)

Lunchbox, I admit that I've paid only glancing attention to this amid all the other flurry of budget proposals -- most of which are DOA -- but I cannot help but think that there has to be an exemption for rescues and other certified nonprofits. If there isn't, then you can bet this will also be DOA. (And, btw, it will take far, far more than any dollars raised by this to close the ever-increasing budget gap.)

I realize that what I'm about to say may not be popular but ... horse and (other) pet owners already pay taxes on their animals in many ways, so if a sales tax on veterinary services would cause someone to give up an animal or worse (i.e. abandon it), then frankly, that person is already living too close to the edge for either human or animal comfort. Personally, I'm more concerned about my poor, overworked vet having to deal with more paperwork than with my having to pay more for her services.

But, hey, that's probably just me.
    Congratulate me! My CANTER cutie is an honor student at Goofball University!

Quote Originally Posted by silver2 View Post
    True, while California does have many problems, and I am not minimizing that, think about the shelters and organizations that would be affected. It would have a devastating impact on funds available to provide quality veterinary care to the animals. These organizations rely on every nickel and dime they can collect to help save the lives of animals.

In the minimum, if they pursue this, they should at least consider an exemption for shelters, rescue and charitable organizations.

The subtext is that veterinary care is non-essential. Unfortunately, the animals can't speak for themselves.

I just think they can find something better to tax.

ETA: Beezer, I was just typing that - thank you, you said it beautifully.
    Last edited by lunchbox; Jan. 20, 2009 at 12:57 AM. Reason: just saw Beezer's post

Any certified California non-profit that is also tax exempt (state and federal) is just that - tax exempt. A non profit that is not tax exempt is usually that way because it is a pending tax exempt organization.

I do worry a great deal about the consequences for private animal and horse owners more generally. Things are bad enough as it is...

Quote Originally Posted by Blueshadow View Post
    Any certified California non-profit that is also tax exempt (state and federal) is just that - tax exempt. A non profit that is not tax exempt is usually that way because it is a pending tax exempt organization.

I do worry a great deal about the consequences for private animal and horse owners more generally. Things are bad enough as it is...

Actually, I believe that non-profits are exempt from state and federal income taxes, not necessarily exempt from taxes on services that they use.

I agree- not enough people get vet services for their animals now... this will only make it worse.

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox View Post
    Actually, I believe that non-profits are exempt from state and federal income taxes, not necessarily exempt from taxes on services that they use.
    If a non profit is CA tax exempt, it is exempt from state income and franchise taxes.

If a non profit is CA tax exempt, it is exempt from state income and franchise taxes.

Sales taxes are not franchise taxes. Franchise taxes are taxes levied on earnings.

Qualified non profits [exempt under IRC 501C(3)] are not exempt from California sales taxes. They are exempt from Federal income tax and California franchise tax.

My point is that even Non profits will get affected because they will not be exempt from the vet taxes if this went through.

ETA: I agree with your point about horse and animal owners being affected. No one could predict when they got their horse or other pets that things would get so bad so quickly
    Last edited by lunchbox; Jan. 20, 2009 at 01:51 AM. Reason: forgot to add....

My guess is that 99% of California's pet owners have no idea if vet services are taxed or not, and wouldn't notice it if they were. The Big Picture is that we are so far up shit creek sans paddle right now, the only hope we have comes with taking it up the backside with more than just this.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Sorry - I wasn't imlying that non profits are exempt from sales tax: however, relative to private citizens they are able to avoid other taxes - and offer tax receipts for contributed services - which place them in a stronger position than the average private horse owner with respect to vet services.

Heck - I wish they could subsidize certain vet services right now for private owners. Times are miserable for horses.

Once again the People's Republik of Kalifornia refuses to face reality!
    California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, in a State of the State address last Thursday, correctly pointed to the need to focus on "fundamentals" in crafting a balanced budget. But like the Big Three automakers in Detroit, many in Sacramento and other state capitals seem to be waiting instead for a federal bailout...

...Six years ago, California state and city governments were in trouble but the elected leadership did nothing. The state budget was $99 billion, with a deficit of $34 billion.

After replacing tax-and-spend Gray Davis with borrow-and-spend Schwarzenegger at the governor's mansion in 2003, and after issuing numerous bonds, the state is saddled with a budget of $144.4 billion and the deficit is projected to rise to $42 billion...

A trillion-dollar bailout may temporarily delay our troubles at great expense to the American taxpayer without doing anything to fix our broken state governments.

Although many California officials are hoping for Washington's latest bridge loan to nowhere, more serious restructuring and downsizing may be necessary.
    California Should Focus On Fundamentals
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams