The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Big Valley GN Trailers-NEVERMIND..... How About Bee, Delta or Cherokee Instead?

I've got my eye sharply watching this trailer:

http://www.dhmco.com/trailer.asp?id=3865

It has what I want and seems to be a reasonable price but I'd rather hear from my COTH family first afores I go plunking down a deposit. Thanks!
    Last edited by ChocoMare; Jan. 20, 2009 at 02:46 PM.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Is it gavanealed or galvanized steel? The description doesn't say so.

Can the horses reach the saddles on the racks? If so, they will probably get chewed on.

Have you been to see it and touch it? Pull the mats and poke a screwdriver into the floor boards? Is that the original paint? seems pretty good for a 17 year old trailer. Look for rust along the bottom edge of each inside wall - sometimes you can detect it when looking behind the wheels.

Another thing to "worry" about, is the height of the bottom of the GN deck. You should measure your truck at the rear axle, from ground to the top rail. Then add 7". The bottom edge of the GN deck must be at least that high - WITH THE TRAILER LEVEL. I like to have 7" when the trailer and truck are loaded and hooked up. You don't want to run the trailer at a slant for several reasons. 1 is that it will put too much weight on the rear axle and not be balanced; 2nd is that it isn't good for your horse to ride at a slant.

Thanks for the tips.

No, we haven't gone to see it yet. Waiting for the Turnoverball hitch to be installed first before we physically go out there.

I'll certainly print your post to take with us if we do so.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Price seems awfully high to me. If Im not mistaken, Big Valley is an entry level trailer. For that kind of money I would think you could have a comparable NEW, or at least newer; Ponderosa, Adam, Calico, Corn Pro etc.

A new trailer would already have new paint, tires, floor, brakes, warranty and possibly less headaches.
    Disclaimer;
    Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.
    Not in the 42% or the 96%

The Big Valley trailers I've seen have been decent lower-end trailers, but I have to agree with 2bee above: That price is very high for an 18yo version of a trailer that probably would sell for only $7-8K new, at most. However, I also have a little experience with the dealer, and it's likely they will work on you and entertain lower offers. If you are going to visit them anyway, take a look at their new trailers, too; they have some very nice entry-level GNs that are quite affordable.

FWIW, I recently sold a 1989 Wilro (comparable make) 2H straight load GN with a medium-sized dressing room for 2K. Perfect structural condition, new tires, new floor, great mats, perfect electric ... just needed sandblasting, re-caulking and a new paint job.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

small, cheaply made, too narrow. I don't like 'em
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. (Steven Wright)

"Narrow".... .well that settles it. I'm gonna pass. I've got big, wide mares (drafties) and one that's claustrophic. Narrow won't do.

Besides, after some good PMs and e-mails with the other comments, I know this trailer ain't gonna work and they want too much money for it.

Soooo, let's switch gears: Bee Trailers.

There is a good dealer just south of me and I'm eyeballing this:

http://www.beetrailers.com/trailers/...roughbred.html

I'll have to order it, since there are none in stock. Granted, it'll cost more than I was originally hoping to spend, but I need quality. So, tell me more!

I like Bee's, well made trailers, balanced, easy to work with/live with.
    Don't know Deltas.

Whatever you pick, watch your size- make sure it's long enough for the big horses to deal with. If you've got a pal whose trailer your mares like, size wise, the tapemeasure is your friend and take it with you to the lot. If it's not TOO far to either of DHMCo's lots, or another big trailer dealers place, just go and look and kick tires. We did that a ton while we were shopping, the more you look and touch the more you get an idea what's suitable for you. Example: note how tiny that people door is on that Big Valley- step through it saddle in hand, bang the CRAP out of the cantle and curse it...you'll find yourself wanting roomy doorways
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. (Steven Wright)

Check this recent thread about Bees:

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...d.php?t=186082
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

I had a Bee back in the early 90's-gooseneck-extra wide, high, great dressing room. Sold to a local rider about 6 yrs ago. Still looks great and is pulling well. They are heavier than an aluminum, but the do last.

I had a lovely Corn Pro stock trailer. 8' wide and 8' tall...it was great and towed well....unfortunately, I only had a 16 footer, so the horse and longer carriages didn't fit.

I was very happy with it, it's steel but very quality made, good floors and the people are willing to modify it as long as it's not busy season.

They're cheap too! http://www.cornprotrailers.com/StockGooseneckhitch.html

Everybody loves their Bees! Can't find them used for love or money.

Another make in that same price range that is pretty good for the money is Adam. I have a little 2H slant GN about 11 years old that is a great little workhorse. I know several other people who have them and are quite happy with them.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

I have a Bee, and would buy one again if I needed a trailer. Of course, I don't need a trailer because the Bee is just fine.