The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone used the TTEAM Body Wrap for spooky horses?

My new mare is a little flightly...jumping at silly things like people sitting in the corner of the indoor, people standing at the gate, etc. I've been doing some desensitization with her (though it shouldn't really be necessary, she's 14!! and done a lot) and got the idea to try the TTEAM Body Wrap on her.
    Sat/sun I lunged her in the body wrap and Oh My Goodness...it was like I had a different horse! Sat there was a little scooting since they were moving snow outside the wall with the bobcat and that was distracting,, but no rodeo antics, which were occurring every session. Sun was even better, no distractions, so just nice w/t/c - no leaping/bucking/bolting....so I kept the sesssion short and let it be a big win for us.
    Last night I dug out some books and snooped around online and found the "Promise Wrap" for under saddle too, which I might try. Just wondering if anyone has used this successfully? How long before the confidence gained can carry over to an "unwrapped" horse?
    Anyone understand why/how it works? One of the instructors came in while my girl was cantering quietly to the right and could hardly believe her eyes! I was SO proud of her.

Interesting! I wonder if it touches on the same principles as Temple Grandin's "calf press" (like a mattress sandwich idea she came up with to restrain frightened animals, because it comforts them to be held that way - she'd invented it for herself and experimented with it for sleeping. Anyway.)

Also, there's a place that mare's touch their foals - any time a foal is skittish and the mare is not afraid, she will lay her nose gently on the foal's shoulder and just rest it there a moment.

So maybe that sense of touch from the wrap has a bit of a psychological effect?

When you mentioned it, I figured it was going to cover the whole body or something!

(I googled it, and it seems to be the item in the first picture here: http://tteamforendurance.com/x.aspx)

I thought of Temple's "press" too. The photo is one of the variations. The one I used has the 'back' loop going behind the point of the buttocks. There's a picture on p81 in this article: http://books.google.com/books?id=WHr...esult#PPA81,M1

In one of the books I have at home, it talks about using it over the saddle too, or just using the back part under saddle (referred to as a "Promise Wrap" then), tying the ends to the saddle.
    I just was SO tickled that she didn't have any of her normal freak-outs!

metagrey06 Guest

I used the wrap on one of my ottb's a while ago. It really helped him tremendously. I used it faithfully for about 3 weeks and then slowly weaned him out of it. It gave him enough confidence to realize that his environment was safe, and he's never needed it again. Good luck with your mare, I hope it makes a difference for her as well!

That's interesting. I ordered the book. Thanks for the link!

I haven't used the body wrap on a horse, but a TTEAM trainer did work with a very skittish dog I had. It made a huge difference in the dog. The same trainer worked with my horse on some issues and I saw great improvement with him also.

But the body wrap on the dog, it changed him almost immediately. I couldn't believe it. The lady who did the work for me is Tina Hutton, here in California. I would recommend her work to anyone, dog or horse!!!
    Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!

YES! It's great! I've used in on many horses, both just in the stall/paddock while resting and under saddle. It's a great tool, and very useful also for helping a horse use their hind end as well!

I love TTEAM work --- it's a great addition to any discipline and fun for both horse and owner.

Has anyone ridden in the neck ring? I love that and it's great for my dressage horses! They think they are SO smart after learning it!

A friend/trainer of mine uses a neck ring with her trainees. She did a 'challenge' thing for a local rescue this fall, and as a finale she rode him (OTTB) in a neck ring only. Of course, applause broke out and he bolted across the arena and she turned it into a gorgeous canter. I want to be her when I grow up! sigh.

Wow, this is very interesting. I'd never heard of that.
    What's a neckring by the way, just a hoop without bit/bridle?

Back to the wrap, so where do you buy that wrap?
    Or do you just use a stretch bandage? If so, what type of stretch bandage, like a saratoga or so? Can anyone give me a very specific example of what to get. I really want to try this.

So it's safe to use under the saddle? That's where I need it.
    Would you say under the saddle only the back wrap and not the neck wrap or combine both regardless.

This is really, really very interesting, can't wait to try this.... 'winter weather go away, warm up',... I need to try this out!

Answers HERE: www.animalambassadors.com .

I've seen a video where Monty Roberts used it for a horse that was fearful in the starting gates. It worked well and he was able to rehab the horse so he could race safely.

My sister recently bought a Weatherbeeta rug for her greyhound who gets crazy and anxious on walks and she was totally calm while wearing it. I guess they feel protected as though in a cocoon or maybe back inside the uterus? I think it just gives them a feeling of safety when they are under duress. Anything that is non-violent and comforting instead of forceful is a good thing!
    PennyG

I've ridden in a neck ring a few times. It was pretty cool.

A friend of mine has an autistic son who wears a weighted vest. It helps with sensory overload. I wonder if the wrap works the same way?

Quote Originally Posted by nightsong
    Thanks! I will order the necklace, but it doesn't list the wrap to go behind their butt. Where do I buy that?

I use two polo wraps. Tied one in a circle and put that over her neck, then tied one end of the other to the loop. I put the circle on her neck, position it so the untied wrap is just off her back on one side, then take the loose end around her rear and tie it to the other side.
    I think in something I read, it was recommended to use ACE bandages because they don't slide like polos can and they have a shorter stretch (more "hug").
    The "promise" wrap appeared to be fastened to the saddle. I would probably use big safety pins and pin it around a billet strap since I don't have any other way to fasten it to my saddle.
    And just because I need to tell *someone*, , my pony was lovely last night and even well-behaved under saddle. Woohoo!

Thanks Sheri, I have tons of polo bandages, I'll try that first.

I finally found where I can get an Ace bandage .
    http://pharmacy-plus2.amazonwebstore...oogle-GB&id=uk

Well, I'm curious how this will work out.
    Fab to hear your pony does great with it.