The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Crossover functions - horsey items for home & vice versa

What horsey items do you use for other purposes?

Our list (you guessed it - we are remodeling):

1) Hoof picks are the BEST paint can openers!;

2) Brown boot polish is a GREAT way to hide scratches on medium-toned wood;

3) The best yet - we had to patch a very mild knock-down pattern in the ceiling. We tried different mediums for well over 6 weeks - several trips to hardware store, buying stuff labeled as such .... patiently working it, waiting to dry, priming, painting, etc. ... still, here is this SPOT in the ceiling .... Finally, fed up ... I opened up a nice bag of shavings last week - those really eensy wonderful ones that are like little Chiklets and NOT dusty ... primer, paint and wood are MEANT to go together, it should work long term ... after some work, we now have trouble finding the "bad" spot ourselves! So far, no guests have been able to find the "bad" spot ... NOW THAT is a success story! (Suppose we oughta patent our "ceiling repair recipe" ?)

There are probably more, but these are our most recent uses ...

Magnum
    Last edited by magnum; Jan. 20, 2009 at 05:16 PM.
    "If you don't know where you're going, you'll end up somewhere else."

Found this out by trial and error. The condo my sister was living in caught fire - in her bedroom. While she lost most of her clothes, she did save her horse "wardrobe" - pads, wraps, etc. However, they were sooty and reeked of smoke. I volunteered to try and clean them. After numerous washings - no change. Was at my local home improvement store looking in their cleaner aisle and ran across "Simple Green" - in a gallon jug. Label said this stuff will clean a car engine. So, I got it and tried it and all of her stuff smells wonderful and is clean again.

Kind of a reverse crossover.

Default 4-prong tack hooks...

...for the laundry room and the hot tub area. You can hang a buncha towels on 'em when your tubbing, or sling a buncha hang-dry-only unmentionables on the prongs in the laundry room. Oh, those hang-dry-only jeans? Loop a belt loop over a tack prong and you've got a 4-pair hanger.

Old saddle pads make great dog crate/cat crate liners.

My mud room sports a 6-harness hook coat rack down one wall - you can hang TONS of coats on those extra-long hooks!

Oh, just thought of another. My friend uses old bits as her curtain tie-backs! Cute in her horsey office area.

Great thread!
    "Imma snap youuuu! - with a shout out to Wildlifer

Consider it works both ways. I go to garage sales and find all the plate racks and nick nack shelves with coat hooks and quilt racks on them and turn them into bridle racks and horse blanket holders. My tack room is lovely with hearts carved out of all my bridle racks! Very 80's but at least its neat. Most racks I get for under $10.
    The View from Here

I had a pair of old standing wraps that were no good anymore. I twisted my ankle one day and couldn't find my ace. Wa La! Standing wrap put to use. I did cut a huge amount of it off but that was the bad end anyway!! The others got cut to different lengths as needed...ie my knee one is longer than my ankle one. And they are the prettiest shade of blue. Which is probably why I kept them anyway.
    There are stars in the Southern sky and if ever you decide you should go there is a taste of time sweetened honey.

1) I once bought a beautiful wool cooler (the kind that goes all the way from head to tail) at a big sale. I used it a few times on my horse, but it was sort of cumbersome and not really necessary, so it got retired to storage...until a cold snap one year when I needed extra blankets on the bed, and pulled it out. It has been a bed-blanket ever since. It's super warm.

2) The first tack trunk I bought was a small-sized one, as I only had a few things. Eventually I needed a normal sized trunk, so the small one is now a coffee table, and I store pillows and blankets in it for naps on the couch.

3) I have a folding saddle rack that I mostly use when I bring tack home to clean (the quarterly take-it-all-apart cleaning). The rest of the time it sits next to the washer/dryer, and I use it to dry sweaters and other drip-dry items on.

OK, hope you guys are ready for this one...
    You know those sweat scrapers, the plain aluminum ones with the little curve in it? They are great for unclogging toilets.

Now don't say ewww-- it's no worse than anything else you use in the toilet! Just DON"T use it as a sweat scraper afterwards!
    "Uh, if you're going to try that, shouldn't you unplug it first?"

Default I can top this!

Quote Originally Posted by Rienzi View Post
    OK, hope you guys are ready for this one...
    You know those sweat scrapers, the plain aluminum ones with the little curve in it? They are great for unclogging toilets.

Now don't say ewww-- it's no worse than anything else you use in the toilet! Just DON"T use it as a sweat scraper afterwards!
    At a kitchen supply store (found mine at Kitchen Collection) I bought a very affordable ($4) stainless steel LONG HANDLED open weave fryer dipper that is AWESOME as a cat litter box cleaner! So much cleaner and easier to use than the plastic short handled thing that always looks nasty. This stays cleaner and feels cleaner - much more removed from the source. Just don't think about fried food when you're using it!
    Last edited by pony grandma; Jan. 19, 2009 at 12:14 PM.
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

LOL, esp. on the last two ... you guys are a hoot!

YES on the polo wraps for personal use! My husband has a rib that goes out on him. Chiro. can fix it, but the wraps get him thru until he can get an appointment. They are perfect, as most "rib wraps" you buy commercially are far too wide (6" or more) and they also have heavy nylon seams that he says are too hard against the rib ... He also says the warmth of these takes away the sharp pains he has.

Those little 2.5 gallon buckets that Farnam makes -- how did we ever live without them? They are too fun for storing cosmetics, holding sponges, etc. I use tack sponges to apply teak oil on our teak furniture.

Also, don't you HATE having the leftover plastic supplements containers? They go for all sorts of uses: Maintenance men and garages use use them in their shops to store nails, nuts, bolts, clamps, hose clamps, etc. They say there isn't really anything else like them, and they esp. love that they have handles and their guys can grab them and go! The stuff in HOME DEPOT - made for the same uses - do NOT bear handles, according to these guys. Even if they did, they aren't FREE! I am just happy to keep the plastic out of the landfill!

Magnum

Rubber curry comb to fluff up my rugs. It works great!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by twofatponies View Post
    1) I once bought a beautiful wool cooler (the kind that goes all the way from head to tail) at a big sale. I used it a few times on my horse, but it was sort of cumbersome and not really necessary, so it got retired to storage...until a cold snap one year when I needed extra blankets on the bed, and pulled it out. It has been a bed-blanket ever since. It's super warm.
    I have 2 of those I won as year-end awards and though I'd love to use them on my horse he has plenty of coolers so I use them as bed spreads I also keep one in my car in case of emergency (horse or human) in this cold weather
    "Riding a horse is not a hobby to be picked up & laid down, it is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole & once it has done so, he will have to accept his life will be radically changed." - RWE

Quote Originally Posted by Briaffer View Post
    I have 2 of those I won as year-end awards and though I'd love to use them on my horse he has plenty of coolers so I use them as bed spreads I also keep one in my car in case of emergency (horse or human) in this cold weather
    Also great when it gets colder than it is supposed to in the gooseneck overnight at shows! At Waterloo (MI) on Sept. 15, 2007 ... it got down to 35 overnight and frosted! That was ONE COLD NIGHT - but not so bad with a nice wool cooler on top of our blankets!

Magnum

Plastic colanders are great for skimming the top of the water trough.

The little ShopVac is a perfect horse vacuum.

The $2 hanging mesh compartment organizer from Dollar General works wonderfully well as a trailer door organizer.

Microfiber rags (also from Dollar General) make the best horse polishing cloths. They are superior dust-magnets, and they come really clean in the wash unlike traditional cotton towels.

Great thread!
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

Default Horseshoe Bridle Holders

The horseshoe bridle holders - the ones with a horseshoe - ends upturned with another horseshoe welded onto it painted black....

* Make great rustic/western drawer/doorknobs
    * Make great curtain tiebacks for a western/horsey look
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

I use those big long plastic kitchen spoons to stir soaked beet pulp.
    One of those little scrub brush for dishes things (round) that can be filled with shampoo and clean legs and hooves.
    Varmit proof outside plastic trash cans to store feed.
    Shedding blade on winter dog coats.
    Putting water tubs 2/3 way into the round pen and 1/3 out so both dogs and horses can drink.
    Using Mane N Tail conditioner on our poodle mix and Peke. DH husband uses it on his beard.

For me: I'm tired of buying ankle length boots that don't hold up for winter, so I've decided to use paddock boots to wear to work-esp since I'm out and about in 3 counties on a regular basis. Just waiting for a black pair to go on sale-I have brown.

Making horse treats that will double as husband treats . They always smell so good when they're baking!

This would be a good topic to have on a regular basis. Mods?

[QUOTE=3dogfarm;3823377]

For me: I'm tired of buying ankle length boots that don't hold up for winter, so I've decided to use paddock boots to wear to work-esp since I'm out and about in 3 counties on a regular basis. Just waiting for a black pair to go on sale-I have brown. QUOTE]

Me too! People love my stylish paddock boots with my work outfits... Glad to know other folks wear 'em to work too!
    "Imma snap youuuu! - with a shout out to Wildlifer

I bought a tack tote style bag for grooming implements, and then took home the hard plastic grooming brush tote. It now carries my screw drivers, drill, cordless screw driver, and hammer for small project work around the house. It is perfect.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

I'd be dead without a bottle of Sore No More at home AND at the barn. I've bought bottles for some of the arthritic "seasoned citizen" ladies at church too. I just don't tell them it's from the tack-n-feed store

A commercial coffee maker is the bestest for instant hot water....for those of us unlucky enough not to have any access to hot water at the barn. God Bless Craig's List....found a replacement for our dying one for only 100 bucks
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

My trainer had a great idea. She didn't have a good place in the trailer to store the long pieces of wood used to hang the show drapes. She took a couple of those long pvc plumbing pipes, capped off the bottoms and added drainage holes, and attached them vertically to the outside of her trailer next to the ladder that goes up to the hay rack on the roof. They work great, and you can cut them off to whatever lengths are needed. Some of the other trainers around here are copying her now on their trailers.

My only cross-over that I can think of is that I use the terry cloth covered sponges used for putting wax or polish on cars for washing the horse, wiping off faces, and cleaning tack.

Oh, and I use the cat shedding comb as a shedding blade for my yearling yaks. Regular ones seem too harsh for them, but the ones meant for cats are just right.
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

[QUOTE=allpurpose;3823393]
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dogfarm View Post

For me: I'm tired of buying ankle length boots that don't hold up for winter, so I've decided to use paddock boots to wear to work-esp since I'm out and about in 3 counties on a regular basis. Just waiting for a black pair to go on sale-I have brown. QUOTE]

Me too! People love my stylish paddock boots with my work outfits... Glad to know other folks wear 'em to work too!
    Donned in a pair of brown paddock boots today, as a matter of fact, and the spur rests are hidden by my pants
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.