The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who else's horse is shedding?

My mare started last week (she usually starts in late January), and even though the weather has been bitterly cold, she was still shedding as of yesterday!

(In the past, she has started shedding and then stopped, temporarily, when we hit a cold snap; continuing once the weather moderated...)

She has *always* been an early shedder (of both coats), but this is the earliest yet!

(I'm trying not to be hopeful that this is indicative of an early spring--I figure the days are getting longer at their "usual rate", so that surely can't be a factor )
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

***PUTS HAND UP AND WAVES MADLY***

Count me in on that one as well. 3/4 of mine are shedding like crazy right now and I am praying they know something that the weather man doesnt and spring is just around the corner ...

I mean - honestly - horses cant all be that wrong can they??? Surely Mother Nature would make their coats stick like glue is she knew spring wasnt coming for a few more months???

My mare too! She's seriously shedding. No one else is goint at it quite like her. Full curry combs! Not sure wha'ts going on but I'm hoping she knows something we don't!
    Lilykoi

Hell hath no fury like the chestnut thoroughbred mare

Not quite yet--usually 1st or 2nd week of February for my little herd.
    Click here before you buy.

Wink

Ah.....! And just what have you been doing with your lights?
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

All horses in my barn started shedding last week. Usually it doesn't start until late February.

Mememe! Miss Fuzzball is shedding like MAD. I skipped the second clipping this winter because we were actually having winter-ish temps down here and the old gal does seem to feel the chill more as she ages. I stroked her neck a bit while I was doing morning feed/chores and came away with a glove of white fluff.

I think even the Little Bay Boss Mare is shedding, though she grows so little coat, it's harder to say with her.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

Default Can't say anything's changed

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    Ah.....! And just what have you been doing with your lights?
    All about the same, no one rides at night so the lights aren't on any more than usual. I've had this old mare for a few years and she never shed this soon before on me. Probably some weird tie in to global warming.
    Lilykoi

Hell hath no fury like the chestnut thoroughbred mare

Mine have started to shed, but I'm in CA and we've had some incredibly warm temps the last 2 weeks!
    Hoppe, Hoppe, Reiter...
    Wenn er faellt dann schreit er...

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    forward is like love - you can never have enough

A few of ours are too! We have freezing temps here, and the one stallion is loosing his hair in the handfuls! I'm like OMG since when is 20 degrees warm!
    Unbridled Oaks - Champion Sport Ponies and Welsh Cobs

Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/unbridledoaks

My guy started about a week and a half ago, however I'm in Florida and he doesnt get a really heavy coat and we had a week of like 80 degree weather. However this week we have had nightly tempuratures in the 20's but hes still loosing hair. So we'll see.
    --Luck is what happens when preparedness meets opportunity--

Typically, Remy doesn't start shedding til late February, and a few hairs at that. This year - the coldest weather we've ever had and he started the beginning of December! And not just a few hair here and there, pretty good size hair clumps. And he's still shedding. Of course, he's so fuzzy you can't tell yet, but still! LOL

Y'all do realize it has NOTHING whatsoever to do with temperature, right? It's the lengthening of the days.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Y'all do realize it has NOTHING whatsoever to do with temperature, right? It's the lengthening of the days.
    That's very true, however I am pretty sure the length of the days stay about the same as they have been for the past thousands of years. The length of January 18th this year is going to be almost the exact same as next years January 18th and so on. How do I come to this conclusion? Im a geography minor and we are discussing this in class right now.

So temperature has to have at least some minute effect of ones shedding of a coat.

Huh?

January 18th is a lot longer in Florida than it is in Michigan, daylight-wise.

Yes I know however your not going to tell me that if you place a horse in Antarctica, which is currently receiving 24 hours of daylight, they are going to shed out and have a sleek summer coat.

And the person in Eastern Washington horse is shedding as well and they have a more considerable amount of darkness than we do.

Yes I am. Putting horses under lights or lengthening their exposure to daylight hastens the shedding process. Of course it doesn't happen instantly and you can't create a summer coat on a horse (for instance) who's busy growing a WINTER one, but you can trick Mother Nature pretty readily by manipulating day length.

You can alter the day light in cold temperatures that the horse is used to. So say if your in Michigan and you put your horse under lights it will shed out, but if you change both factors the horse will not shed as fast ect. I'm not trying to say that daylight does not effect the shedding of a horse. I'm trying to get at the fact that temperature can play a role as well.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Justmyluck View Post
    Yes I know however your not going to tell me that if you place a horse in Antarctica, which is currently receiving 24 hours of daylight, they are going to shed out and have a sleek summer coat.

And the person in Eastern Washington horse is shedding as well and they have a more considerable amount of darkness than we do.
    Sorry I agree with Deltawave, That's why I asked about lights. If you leave barn lights on , as breeders do, you're going to get shedding.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

I've been using a shed blade on my girl for the past few weeks and getting nice little piles of fluff each time. Temps this last few days have been in th eminus or single digits and she's still going strong. I don't blanket unless she'll be out in a driving blizzard/rainstorm.