The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Adding crupper ring to wintec dressage saddle??

Yeah, I know..odd. I'm thinking of getting breeching for my mare. I ride her trails in a dressage (wintec) saddle because it fits her best of the nine saddles I've bought for her and it's comfortable for me. Unfortunately no crupper ring and unfortunately coming down a mountain the saddle does slide forward. I'm wondering if screwing something into the tree would cause it to shatter or something. I don't even know what wintec trees are made of. Any words of wisdom for me?
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

I used a crupper with my Wintec Pro years ago when one horse with no withers had that saddle slip a bit. I got a gadget at the tack store that was a plastic piece with with a crupper ring in the middle. Put it lengthwise in the gullet channel, then turn, and the two limbs on each side of the ring slid neatly under the panels of the saddle with the middle ring in the gullet channel. Slide it back to have the ring at the back, and it worked like a charm. The thing only cost a few bucks and took about 1 minute to install. I could have even taken it off and on between horses if I wanted to, but I decided to just leave it there.

I'm confused.. are you getting breeching (aka britchen), or a crupper? They're quite different.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    I'm confused.. are you getting breeching (aka britchen), or a crupper? They're quite different.
    Breeching but I'll still need a way to hook it to the back of the saddle. I used to use breeching with my mule and it seemed to work better than a crupper. I just said crupper ring so people can picture what I'm talking about.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Quote Originally Posted by dressagetraks View Post
    I used a crupper with my Wintec Pro years ago when one horse with no withers had that saddle slip a bit. I got a gadget at the tack store that was a plastic piece with with a crupper ring in the middle. Put it lengthwise in the gullet channel, then turn, and the two limbs on each side of the ring slid neatly under the panels of the saddle with the middle ring in the gullet channel. Slide it back to have the ring at the back, and it worked like a charm. The thing only cost a few bucks and took about 1 minute to install. I could have even taken it off and on between horses if I wanted to, but I decided to just leave it there.
    Thank you. Sounds like a quick and simple fix! It doesn't hurt the saddle at all?
    Do you by chance remember what they are called?

Sorry, it's been years. I just remember getting it at the tack store along with the crupper.

No, it didn't hurt the saddle in the slightest. You could literally put it in there or remove it in a minute flat.

I know just what DressageTraks is talking about. I couldn't find one of those (the T piece with just the ring), but here are some examples of cruppers that have that attachment style:

http://www.justforponies.com/search.aspx?find=crupper

The "T" goes in the gullet of the saddle just as described.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Quote Originally Posted by poltroon View Post
    I know just what DressageTraks is talking about. I couldn't find one of those (the T piece with just the ring), but here are some examples of cruppers that have that attachment style:

http://www.justforponies.com/search.aspx?find=crupper

The "T" goes in the gullet of the saddle just as described.
    Problem is, I've NEVER seen one of those in anything but pony size. Anyone seen a horse sized one?
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

http://store.runningbear.com/catalog...&cat=3&scat=16

Scroll down and look at crupper T-adapter.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

OH WOW!! How cool is that!? They are cheap, too!!
    Thank you all so much.

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    Problem is, I've NEVER seen one of those in anything but pony size. Anyone seen a horse sized one?
    The Kincade that Just For Ponies carries comes in both horse and pony size.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Default My mule with breeching (britchen) and a Wintec Isabell

Thought I'd share this photo of my mule in his breeching and a Wintec Isabell. I could tell you more about how I set it up if you'd like . . . it's very hokey, but it works!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1058283407
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

Please make sure your horse is COMFORTABLE wearing a crupper, before mounting to go riding. With our Driving horses, they get used to cruppers over a period of time, no just toss on the harness, crupper, and hitch up.

Lots of horses clamp their tails down, scoot really hard, with that thing grabbing their tails!!

Another note, for the experienced crupper using horse, warm it up, before putting crupper on the horse. Cold crupper on a cool or cold day, AGAIN will have horse clamping their tails and scooting, until the leather is warmed up. NOT PRETTY to see big horses with scooting rumps on a cold day!

Check your crupper after each use, make sure it is clean of ALL dirt. Even tiny pieces of dirt or manure, can rub a huge hole in soft skin under and around the tail bone.

Hope your saddle breeching works to hold things in place.